PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Metamagic via a Magic Item -- requiring level increase and preparation

kylehanson
2017-02-10, 11:01 PM
Metamagic rods allow spontaneous use of a single metamagic feat on any spell (within a certain range e.g. 0-3rd level), working for preparing casters and spontaneous casters alike because they don't increase the final level of the spell.

But what should it cost if the magic item were e.g. an "Orb of Metamagic Preparation: Enlarge Spell" or "...: Empower Spell", where the item allows you to prepare spells with that metamagic feat, and you still have to increase the level of the spell per normal?

I'm interested in the cost of a Orb of Metamagic Preparation: Intensify, Selective, Empower, and Maximize.

Comparisons are the first order of business, and *Forge of Thautam costs 15,000 for essentially giving you Craft Magic Arms and Armor, and *the 3.0 Arms and Equipment book gives a rough guide of 10,000 gp (and, if the feat has prerequisites, +5,000 per prerequisite). I think 10,000 gp seems about right. I was thinking maybe the cost should be more for higher spell-level-adjustment feats, but that doesn't actually make sense because that's still a drawback with the preparation item: a maximized fireball still takes up a 6th level spell slot with using a Orb of Metamagic Preparation.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Deophaun
2017-02-11, 12:08 AM
I would go with whatever makes the player say "Well, that's not worth it," then double it.

Why? Because this is an item that is only really useful for Wizards, Clerics, and Druids, and they need a grand total of zero on the help meter. In fact, they need someone to come around and shoot them in the kneecaps, but they would probably have a contingent death-blossom against anyone attempting to do so, and even if you succeeded it'd turn out that was just an ice assassin or astral projection that you whacked and the real princess is in another castle.

Anyway, just personal policy.

For the actual answer... yeah probably the 10k gp from A&EG, though I'd double it again because metamagic > general feats and, again, look who gets the benefit.