PDA

View Full Version : How's Eyebite for a sorcerer?

Dalebert
2017-02-11, 01:20 AM
I have True Seeing and am thinking of switching it out now as I just leveled (after killing Tiamat. Woo!). Versatility is always appealing. Having an action I can use each round and still quicken a full spell is also appealing.

I decided against this spell at first thinking most battles don't last long enough to really put it to good use. Still, a single crowd control with sleep or an effective debuff would make it not a complete waste and maybe I'll get more in a longer battle with multiple enemies.

Anyone actually have it for a while and found it useful? If not, what would you recommend?

Foxhound438
2017-02-11, 02:10 AM
I feel like sunbeam might be a better pick. It's still a concentration spell that fills your action, and it has a relevant side effect (blinding) on top of the respectable damage it puts out. As a matter of fact, you can quicken this and then have 2 shots on the turn you cast it, doubling the chances of landing that blind effect.

My biggest problem with eyebite is that if a thing succeeds its save, you can't target it again. It is nice that it has some other (and very good) effects, but it has some major limitations.

Dalebert
2017-02-11, 02:18 AM
Sunbeam is awesome. I've seen it in action. Unfortunately, this character is drow so I just can't see him taking it. He would be "ow! ow! ow! I can't see!" the whole time.

Potato_Priest
2017-02-11, 03:07 AM
Sunbeam is awesome. I've seen it in action. Unfortunately, this character is drow so I just can't see him taking it. He would be "ow! ow! ow! I can't see!" the whole time.

All the more reason to take it... it's funny.

Dalebert
2017-02-11, 12:40 PM
Well he did just get True Polymorphed into a deva for a fight with Tiamat so maybe now's the time to swap it. He can regret it later if and when (probably when) he gets changed back.

jaappleton
2017-02-11, 12:45 PM
Eyebite is a decent pick. Sorcerer's only get so many spells known. So to have one as versatile as Eyebite? Pretty solid, if you ask me.

Foxhound438
2017-02-11, 09:02 PM
For a drow I could definitely see taking eyebite over sun-anything

Nifft
2017-02-11, 10:11 PM

You could go the Batman route: "I am terrified of bright lights, so I decided to share that very rational fear with all of you."

Dalebert
2017-02-11, 10:31 PM
For a drow I could definitely see taking eyebite over sun-anything

Yeah, I'm not going to take it. He wouldn't. It make no centz!

Hawkstar
2017-02-11, 11:07 PM
How is he getting spells if he's a Deva?

Dalebert
2017-02-11, 11:30 PM
How is he getting spells if he's a Deva?

Well he's not actually able to use them but I only just discovered that. We were using True Polymorph wrong last night and I only just recently realized that. See the other thread called "How broken is True Polymorph?" I'm making decisions based on what he will have when he changes back.

EvilAnagram
2017-02-11, 11:43 PM
Eyebite is solid, though it's not my personal favorite at that level. I prefer Mass Suggestion for its ability to crush the DM's plans. Still, it's a lot of effects for one slot.

NecroDancer
2017-02-12, 12:54 AM
Eyebite is a great spell, however disintegrate is also good if you want to make a single target hurt a lot (it isn't so good against multiple foes).

Mass suggestion is also a solid choice as well, you can't go wrong with it.

Globe of invurablity seems cool but I have no idea how good it is.

Deleted
2017-02-12, 01:19 AM

Name your Drow Captain Sunshine, he disguises himself before going around using sunbeam...

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/venturebrothers/images/7/7b/Picture_1q4234.png/revision/latest?cb=20101205044552

He isn't the hero the drow wants... Or needs... But he's the hero the drow gets.

(Hero = annoying jerk)

Dalebert
2017-02-12, 10:30 AM
Mass Suggestion seems very good but just seems wrought with complications regarding what the DM deems "reasonable".