PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Advice How to release unpleasant lore information.

Avianmosquito
2017-02-11, 11:55 AM
So, in a little bit today I'm going to release some lore information that is guaranteed to strongly offend somebody. Sure, it'll be because that somebody doesn't understand that putting something in your setting does not mean you condone it (quite the opposite, in this case), but while that's their failing it's liable to derail my thread. I kinda have to cover it, too. The post is about sahuagin hybrids, and the information that may offend some people is the religious practices that likely create said hybrids and a little background on the relevant sahuagin deity. Does anybody have any advice on how to include this information in a way that will minimize the resulting damage and give my thread the best possible chance of remaining on-topic?

Delicious Taffy
2017-02-11, 12:48 PM
Use adjectives and your tone to make it abundantly clear that these things are meant to be seen as wrong. Example: "The loathsome rituals performed in the name of their unclean deity result in these twisted, malformed Sahuagin hybrids." Nobody in their right mind is going to see gross fish-people performing dark rituals that make abominations of nature and think "Yeah, I'm pretty sure the DM thinks this sort of activity is A-OK. I should throw a fit."

Avianmosquito
2017-02-11, 01:25 PM
Use adjectives and your tone to make it abundantly clear that these things are meant to be seen as wrong. Example: "The loathsome rituals performed in the name of their unclean deity result in these twisted, malformed Sahuagin hybrids." Nobody in their right mind is going to see gross fish-people performing dark rituals that make abominations of nature and think "Yeah, I'm pretty sure the DM thinks this sort of activity is A-OK. I should throw a fit."

Well, it is heavily implied that the sahuagin priests create these things by taking preteen sahuagin girls from their homes and imprisoning them in temples to be impregnated by their goddess It Yeek'Kal Thet. There's enough gross stuff in that one sentence that I shouldn't have to say it's a bad thing. What's worse is what the goddess actually is. Being able to impregnate things despite being supposedly female and having a name like "It Yeek'Kal Thet" is about as blatant as I can get without the priests ending sentences with "fhtagn". It's also implied they hate their goddess and the entire disgusting process, and if even the sahuagin who have done this for untold generations feel that way it's unlikely the author expects anybody to get a case of the warm fuzzies.

But people are stupid, and I've had that sort of thing happen before. A lot.

Whatever. It's up. If the thread stays on topic, great. If not, I'll try reporting flamers to the mods and see if it works this time. Either way, I've got other things to do.

And it turns out my problem was not the nastiness in the lore, but failing to make especially clear that this creature was a race and meant to have class levels and thus probably wouldn't be 1 HD.