PDA

View Full Version : Scourge Aasimar Suicide???

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-02-11, 12:03 PM
I was playing my Scourge Aasimar the other day in a game and he was knocked unconscious while using his "Radiant Consumption" ability which damages both himself and other creatures within 10 feet of him with radiant damage.

Now, there's nothing in Volo's that says Radiant Consumption turns off when the character goes unconscious, it just says: "Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action."

So there I was, making Death Saving Throws, but at the end of my turn I had to take the radiant damage from my Radiant Consumption and automatically get a Death Saving Throw failure added on. In three turns, I would have been dead if not for our party's cleric healing me.

So does this sound kosher that Radiant Consumption doesn't turn off when going unconscious or did I miss an errata for Volo's somewhere?

Clone
2017-02-11, 12:30 PM
I was playing my Scourge Aasimar the other day in a game and he was knocked unconscious while using his "Radiant Consumption" ability which damages both himself and other creatures within 10 feet of him with radiant damage.

Now, there's nothing in Volo's that says Radiant Consumption turns off when the character goes unconscious, it just says: "Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action."

So there I was, making Death Saving Throws, but at the end of my turn I had to take the radiant damage from my Radiant Consumption and automatically get a Death Saving Throw failure added on. In three turns, I would have been dead if not for our party's cleric healing me.

So does this sound kosher that Radiant Consumption doesn't turn off when going unconscious or did I miss an errata for Volo's somewhere?

Just read the ability there and it reminds me of the Barbarian's Rage ability, which if memory serves wears off when you are knocked unconscious. Radiant Consumption is something you choose to activate and turn off, so I imagine that RAI would be you don't slowly kill yourself. I'd rule that it went off when you were knocked out.

Also remember that the damage from the ability is resisted by the Aasimar due to their radiant damage resistance, in case that wasn't taken into consideration during the fighting.

jaappleton
2017-02-11, 12:34 PM
I believe that RAI wins here. RAI in this case being Rules As Intended.

You're unconscious. It's obvious any spell or spell like ability turns off in this instance.

Millstone85
2017-02-11, 12:39 PM
On the other hand, the name Radiant Consumption suggests that you have set your soul ablaze. If you are not awake to douse this "fire", you might indeed continue to burn.

hymer
2017-02-11, 12:39 PM

I'm aware of no errata on it, so by RAW I think you handled it correctly, though I'm as surprised as you seem to be.
But it does speak to me. It even points out that the effect would run its course even if you died. Sort of like setting oneself on fire if one's body was flammable.

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-02-11, 01:16 PM
Also remember that the damage from the ability is resisted by the Aasimar due to their radiant damage resistance, in case that wasn't taken into consideration during the fighting.

Resistant to radiant damage sure, but not immune, I was still taking damage from it while unconscious so that's an automatic fail on a Death Saving Throw.

JakOfAllTirades
2017-02-11, 02:21 PM
Now I really wanna play a Scourge Aasimar.

My my, hey hey....

Vogonjeltz
2017-02-11, 08:13 PM
Resistant to radiant damage sure, but not immune, I was still taking damage from it while unconscious so that's an automatic fail on a Death Saving Throw.

Couldn't a Cleric with that stabilizing cantrip save you there?

Fflewddur Fflam
2017-02-11, 08:49 PM
Couldn't a Cleric with that stabilizing cantrip save you there?

That would do nothing in this situation as I would continue to take damage every turn and keep on getting Death Saving Throw fails. I had to be brought above 0 hp.

Sigreid
2017-02-11, 09:04 PM
I actually think it's pretty cool that it's a power that can be dangerous to use.