PDA

View Full Version : Artisan tool question

Bacax
2017-02-11, 12:15 PM
So, I am making an Artificer character, and I realized that I end up with 5 tool proficiencies. That is pretty awesome, but when buying my starting gear, I am finding that all these tool kits are very expensive and heavy. Even with taking the cheapest kit (leatherworkers) as one of them, I am up to 150gp and 32 pounds. As a non-melee character, my low strength means that I have to worry about carrying that much.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a rule or options for basically combining these kits to make them cheaper and lighter. I would assume that these kits would have at least some of the same/similar items in them. I have done some googling, but I have not found anything about combining them, or even details as to what is in them.

I already asked the DM about it, and he said no for now, but I am hoping that if I can find some sort of rule (even unofficial/homebrew) that I could show him, maybe he will change his mind.

Suggestions? Links? Thanks!

JellyPooga
2017-02-11, 12:50 PM
As far as I'm concerned, though your GM may disagree, the Tinkers Tools are the generic set of tools for the travelling artisan; including elements of all the "basic" crafts of leather/wood/metalworking and maybe a few extra bits. I would be happy for an Artificer to only carry Tinkers Tools and still ply his trade, as far as his Class Features go. For bigger projects (i.e. those that require downtime to pursue), I'd probably require the "full" Artisan Tool for the trade(s) in question, but for adventuring purposes; Tinkers Tools.

hymer
2017-02-11, 02:08 PM
In WoW, it used to be that everyone wanted a Gnomish Army Knife, well, back in WotLK days. It gave you all tools in one, with the exception of a fishing rod, IIRC. Saved quite a few bag slots on some characters. Maybe your DM will be willing to institute something similar. Though I would certainly not expect it to be cheap.

A donkey or mule, on the other hand, is 8gp and carries up to 420 lbs of stuff.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-11, 02:13 PM
A donkey or mule, on the other hand, is 8gp and carries up to 420 lbs of stuff.

This is the best answer, in my opinion. It's realistic, within the rules, and funny.

Or buy a workshop and leave your tools there. Why do you want to take a bunch of tools on an adventure? Says the idiot who wrote a whole book for people who want to do that.

BW022
2017-02-11, 03:19 PM
Suggestions? Links? Thanks!

Animals
A mule is 8gp and can carry 420lbs. Ponies, horses, or even a mastiff with saddle bags can each carry nearly 200 lbs or more. A cart is 15gp and can increase a mule, donkey, or horses carrying capacity by x5. A mule can pull a cart plus 1,900 lbs.

Other PCs
Ask if an other PC can carry such loads and give them some of your tools. Often high-strength characters have significant extra carrying capacity.

Accept Being Encumbered
Just accept having a 20 movement rate. When you get into a dungeon or fight, stash a backpack with all your tools somewhere.

Hirelings
Hire some porters to carry your stuff.

Ritual Casting Feat
Take Tenser's Floating Disk. You can to the same with a level of wizard.

Leave Your Tools at Home
Many tools can't realistically be used without a lot of time. Leave them in a city or town unless you are specifically know you are moving from one city to another.

Magic
Strength increasing items, bags of holding, portable holes, etc.

A low levels, just buy a pair of mules.

Bacax
2017-02-11, 03:21 PM
This is the best answer, in my opinion. It's realistic, within the rules, and funny.

Or buy a workshop and leave your tools there. Why do you want to take a bunch of tools on an adventure? Says the idiot who wrote a whole book for people who want to do that.

But what if I needs them?!?! We may find a forge in a cave, and need to make some swords... I would need to have my smith's tools just in case!

hymer
2017-02-11, 03:28 PM
But what if I needs them?!?! We may find a forge in a cave, and need to make some swords... I would need to have my smith's tools just in case!

And, and, and, what if you, like, need, like, seven tons of rusty iron? :smalleek: You must carry that too! And both a leather set of armour and a metal one! And a shield! And extra boots! And enough clean water for three weeks! And spares, spares of everything!

Or, you know, prioritize. :smallwink: Or, hey, mules are cheap! A herd of mules! :smallbiggrin:

Cybren
2017-02-11, 08:43 PM
Most of those tools aren't really intended on being travelling equipment. They're for outfitting your sweet digs.