PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sorcerer/Fiend Bladelock Multiclass (Assist please)

TheButterSwan
2017-02-11, 02:14 PM
Hey guys! So with the (somewhat) new Stone Sorcerer in the recent UA and the videogame For Honor coming out I have just been really excited about making this multiclass happen. I kind of want to make an oddball build here. I want to make a character inspired by the Shugoki but make him his own weird bladelock build. Right now Im pretty set on a few things and it's somewhat of a loose interpretation build-wise.

I want to take more levels in Sorcerer as Warlock doesnt have all that much but Im still looking to get enough levels in Warlock to nab the Thirsting Blade invocation. My two highest will be Str and Con followed by Cha. I plan to use most of my spells known to grab buffs and no save effects. As for my ranged option I plan on going Fire Genasi for a con-based Produce Flames and the +2 to Con.

After being constantly compared to a volcano he began to practice stone sorceries and shortly after made a pact with an oni demon. He's chaotic evil and the other party members are part of an oni cult alongside him. (They're both switch hitters who dabble in magic aswell but in different ways. We all plan to grab healing spells so we're kind of all well rounded but still have roles to a degree.)

I just kind of want suggestions on how you guys would split the multiclassing up? Im in a debate between a 5/15 split and an 8/12... We're starting at level 15 because we're pretty major baddies in the world and we're renowned. We already have a concept for why we're working together and trust one another enough to travel together(hence the oni cult). Id also like some tips on other invocations I should nab and spells. It'd all be appreciated Im just drawing some blanks right now beyond this point.

famousringo
2017-02-12, 01:13 AM
To be honest, I don't think warlock is doing a lot for you here. Every warlock level delays the cool Aegis and Stone's Edge features, and you'll never get the latter if you go to 8.

A weapon cantrip isnt too far behind multiattack at 5, it surges ahead if you can Twin a Booming Blade, and gets even better with more levels and Stone's Edge.

Dark One's Blessing scales with CHA and warlock level, both of which you intend to minimize.

The classic sorlock synergy is metamagicked Eldritch Blasts, but you want to range attack with Produce Flame.

So it mostly sounds like you're taking warlock for that fiendish flavour, and nothing wrong with that. A couple levels gets you some short rest slots, a few spells known, and some invocations to play with. Maybe a third level if you really want a pact bonus. I wouldn't go too deep if I were you.

As for invocations, Devil's Sight is the classic power play besides Agonizing Blast, but there are lots of nice at will abilities like Misty Visions or Mask of Many Faces.

The Ship's dog
2017-02-12, 02:02 PM
In any MC, you typically don't want to miss out on any ASI. Certain builds can live without one of the five availables if the abilities they get are good enough. With this in mind I'd probably go for 8/12 instead of 5/15. I currently don't have the time to do an exact comparison but later I might if you'd want me to.

TheButterSwan
2017-02-12, 03:20 PM
The classic sorlock synergy is metamagicked Eldritch Blasts, but you want to range attack with Produce Flame.

So it mostly sounds like you're taking warlock for that fiendish flavour, and nothing wrong with that. A couple levels gets you some short rest slots, a few spells known, and some invocations to play with. Maybe a third level if you really want a pact bonus. I wouldn't go too deep if I were you.

Exactly right on this one! The warlock is mostly for flavor and I had decided to grab onto the Thirsting Blade invocation so I'd get a couple more hits in - though smite spells(obviously from Stone Sorcerer) might be enough. Ill have to compare a few things to decide but you make a good point.

As for Ship's response: This is also why I was having issues between the whole 5 and 8 choice. I dont know how badly I want the ASI versus ttheSorcerer's abilities. I'll have to check the abilities again, I guess.

famousringo
2017-02-12, 05:01 PM
Exactly right on this one! The warlock is mostly for flavor and I had decided to grab onto the Thirsting Blade invocation so I'd get a couple more hits in - though smite spells(obviously from Stone Sorcerer) might be enough. Ill have to compare a few things to decide but you make a good point.

As for Ship's response: This is also why I was having issues between the whole 5 and 8 choice. I dont know how badly I want the ASI versus ttheSorcerer's abilities. I'll have to check the abilities again, I guess.

I don't recommend smite spells as a sorcerer. The paladin class ability is great because it bypasses the action economy, but the spells cost concentration (so no cool buffs or control spells while you're doing it), and a bonus action (so no Aegis or Quickened spell).

If you want to burn spell resources to do more damage as a sorcerer, cast or Quicken a blast spell. Or even just Quickening a weapon cantrip would be as flavourful and more efficient than a smite spell.

As for ASIs, going an extra level or two for an ASI is one thing, but if you're chasing one for three levels in one class, you're only one level short in another class, and getting the class features that you really want while you're at it. Going from 3-4 warlock for an ASI makes sense, from 5-8 not so much.

Bloodcloud
2017-02-12, 09:08 PM
Going tome would allow you to grab shillelagh at 3, making you a lot less MAD.... just a thought