PDA

View Full Version : Question about Chilling Fog (Ooze)

JW86
2017-02-11, 05:16 PM
Quick question please me and a player are not quite in agreement over.

Cone of cold (Su): a creature hit by a chilling fog's slam attack or engulfed by it is dealt 9d6 points of cold damage (reflex DC 17 half).

Engulf (Ex): a chilling fog can flow around creatures that fit within its space as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The chilling fog merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against a chilling fog, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do nor attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 17 reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent's choice) as the spell moves forward. Engulfed creatures take 9d6 points of cold damage (reflex DC 17 half) and are considered to be grappled.

So - does Engulfing an opponen proc 9d6 damage simply from Engulf, then proc the Cone of Cold for an additional 9d6 cold damage?

Anyone rules savvy please comment!

Zombimode
2017-02-11, 05:50 PM
It's 9d6 damage once.
Engulfed creatures are subject to the 9d6 cold damage. With that the statement in the Cone of Cold ability becomes true - engulfed creatures indeed were dealt 9d6 damage.

JW86
2017-02-11, 06:30 PM
Thanks, this is what I thought also.

My friend put forth the idea

"Engulf does 9d6, and a free cone of cold" and "Engulf does 9d6, Cone of cold does 9d6 for free if I engulf. 18d6 in an aoe"