PDA

View Full Version : Clone Failure

sir_argo
2017-02-12, 02:24 AM
So I was reading the spell Clone. This question is a bit tongue in cheek, but if I literally read the spell (RAW), upon the death of the character, the soul transfers to the clone... who is in a SEALED container FILLED with saltwater. Shouldn't he drown immediately?

Life is short. It's even shorter when you start your life in a sealed, water-filled urn.

Potato_Priest
2017-02-12, 02:55 AM
Hmmm. An interesting Point. The spell does not specify that you can't have a door that opens from the inside of the urn, nor that the urn must be particularly robust.

Alternatively, you could have Igor let you out when he hears banging on the inside of your tank.

Armok
2017-02-12, 03:49 AM
See, this is why even in a campaign where you're far from water you should never throw away a ring of water breathing.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-12, 05:06 AM
you can more than an urn iuse a mud filled cyyst or other things but the elven pickle trick of cloning funny just remember to giveyour new body and easy way out of the urn. or some method to drain the urn.

DragonSorcererX
2017-02-12, 07:20 PM
That is why you don't use the original Clone spell, you Wish a Clone for free and it just works!

Grey Watcher
2017-02-12, 07:41 PM
See, this is why even in a campaign where you're far from water you should never throw away a ring of water breathing.

Which is still on the finger of your original body.

The Glyphstone
2017-02-12, 07:47 PM
Which is still on the finger of your original body.

Pretty sure the intent was to stick it on the finger of your clone while it's still in the tank, since your original body doesn't need it.

Grey Watcher
2017-02-12, 08:18 PM
Pretty sure the intent was to stick it on the finger of your clone while it's still in the tank, since your original body doesn't need it.

Then I hope you can hold your breath for the hour or so it will take to attune to it. :smalltongue:

Dalebert
2017-02-12, 09:06 PM
I thought this thread might address the bizarre fact that Clone doesn't bring you back from being disintegrated. For the life of me, I don't understand why. You have an entire spare body miles away waiting to accept your soul.

Eldamar
2017-02-12, 09:30 PM
Sealed doesn't mean locked. You can seal a contained with some mud or wax without it being difficult to open.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-12, 11:55 PM
you know if a hill giant finds this clone hes got himself a free meat pickle.

SharkForce
2017-02-13, 01:09 AM
I thought this thread might address the bizarre fact that Clone doesn't bring you back from being disintegrated. For the life of me, I don't understand why. You have an entire spare body miles away waiting to accept your soul.

the clone is not technically the same creature. should work fine.

"...if the original creature dies..." (implying the clone is not the same as the original).
"The clone is physically identical to the original and has the same personality, memories, and abilities..." (again, distinguishing clone from the original creature... same personality, memories, and abilities, and physically identical, but it is "the clone", and not "the original creature").
"The original creature’s physical remains, if they still exist, become inert..." (again, the original creature is inert and cannot be revived, but the clone is revived, and must therefore not be the same as the original creature).

now, practically speaking, the clone is functionally the same person in almost every way (possibly not legally, i guess, depends on local laws :P ). but you haven't been restored to life. instead, your soul has been used to create a copy of yourself, which is alive, and mostly indistinguishable from you.

Potato_Priest
2017-02-13, 01:28 AM
the clone is not technically the same creature. should work fine.

Well, it should, you're right, but it doesn't.

A disintegrated character and everything it is wearing or carrying, except magic items, are reduced to a pile of fine grey dust. The creature can be restored to life only by means of a true resurrection or a wish spell.

Edit: I see your point now, and it's a good one. It's kind of weaselly either way.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-02-13, 08:33 AM
It doesn't have to be full of salt water. It can be any 'vessel worth at least 2,000 gp that has a sealable lid and is large enough to hold a Medium creature', such as a crystal container filled with salt water. So you can just stick your clone inside a duct-taped cardboard box studded with diamonds for all the spell cares.

mrumsey
2017-02-13, 08:43 AM
It doesn't have to be full of salt water. It can be any 'vessel worth at least 2,000 gp that has a sealable lid and is large enough to hold a Medium creature', such as a crystal container filled with salt water. So you can just stick your clone inside a duct-taped cardboard box studded with diamonds for all the spell cares.

I think this is the goal of my next character: Harold the Hobo-Magi.

Diamond studded duct-taped cardboard box.

Douche
2017-02-13, 10:43 AM
Everyone is playing this straight and I'm not sure if it's coordinated trolling or not

The "filled with salt water" thing is just meant to conjure the image of having something in suspended animation. Like Wolverine when he's in the lab getting experimented on... Or Luke Skywalker when he's in the Bacta Tank on Hoth (being healed after nearly freezing to death)

But seriously though, I mean all jokes aside, no kidding around, goofs & laughs over... Having your clone be in salt water for a prolonged period? Wouldn't his skin be seriously messed up after all that time? I mean I just did some research and found this

"Clinical and histologic observations of test sites exposed to water for 72 to 144 hours revealed intense subacute dermatitis."

DERMATITIS. In just 144 hours! Leaving your clone in water for weeks or months would probably eventually just turn to goop, honestly.

Dalebert
2017-02-13, 02:15 PM
Eh, it's magical salt water. Like, presumably it is a sort of saline solution that's neutral and harmless and even helps to support the life functions of the clone. It's more of an aqua vitae (water of life).

You're right. People are over-thinking it and getting way to science-y and logic-y about magic.

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-13, 05:10 PM
so if i put my clone into a and this is my idea a sleeping beauty thing the clone will be sitting in their. hmm their is a lot of container ideas. whats a intresting one for a ice wizard who happens to be a princess elsa joke begin in .3.....2.......1 GOOOOOOOOOO!

sir_argo
2017-02-13, 05:20 PM

So my container could be the peep show booth in the back of a strip club, as long as I pay Lola a 2,000gp fee to dance?

SharkForce
2017-02-13, 07:43 PM
So my container could be the peep show booth in the back of a strip club, as long as I pay Lola a 2,000gp fee to dance?

i've never been, but i suspect that most such facilities lack a sealable lid :P

Drackolus
2017-02-13, 08:50 PM
i've never been, but i suspect that most such facilities lack a sealable lid :P

I mean, a door is basically a sealable lid.

SharkForce
2017-02-13, 09:42 PM
I mean, a door is basically a sealable lid.

most doors are basically not sealable. or at least, not by default (certainly, you could caulk them or melt candles on them or something, but generally speaking, i wouldn't describe a typical door as being sealed).

Drackolus
2017-02-13, 09:50 PM
most doors are basically not sealable. or at least, not by default (certainly, you could caulk them or melt candles on them or something, but generally speaking, i wouldn't describe a typical door as being sealed).

Technically, sealable just means that it can be sealed, not that it's intended to be.
You still have to actually seal it though, and it must remain undisturbed.
I think it has to be completely sealed too. So you have to cover up the peep-hole.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-02-14, 12:47 PM

Hey, any door's sealable if you know arcane lock.