PDA

View Full Version : Visit Turkey this summer!

Regneva
2007-07-22, 03:07 PM
Been Looking forward to spending a good vacation away from work and abroad?

Spesifically in the mediterranean?

Come to Turkey! With its friendly people and its sunny weather, its the Holiday of choice! Visit the historical places of Anatolia, from the Topkapı palace in Istanbul to the aphitheater of Ephesus, Turkey is filled with history.
Learn more about our culture. Spend a quiet night and dine with your significant other in a fancy restaurant overlooking the bosphorus, the only bridge on earth that joins two continents!

Or if you are more of an active type, check out the clubs and bars of Taksim or Ortaköy in İstanbul or enjoy a swim off the beautiful beaches of Kemer, Antalya, Side, Bodrum and the rest of south coast!

Its the best time of the year, you won't regret it! :smallbiggrin:

Oh.... and...
If you happen to take this advice and do want to come here, please bring along a copy of Start of Darkness, the Origin of the PC's and the Dungeon of Dorukan adventure game, so that I can BUY them from you without paying the attrocious shipping fees! :smallfurious: . I'll throw in a tour guide service if ya need just gimme the damn books! ARRGH!

I can't never buy them here, ever!....
I...... am....so........desperate...... :smallfrown: ..... please....

the_tick_rules
2007-07-22, 04:29 PM
what about bein kidnapped, is that a risk there?

Regneva
2007-07-22, 04:42 PM
Egghh.. No, I believe they have that in afganistan

Pantler
2007-07-22, 04:53 PM
Hmm... Visit Turkey?
http://www.giantitp.com/Images/bcx/Thanksgiving.gif
As a revenge for the Polish jokes :smalltongue:

On an added note, I believe you should try to find someone via the GITP Products board. This topic seems kinda out of place here.

Recursive
2007-07-22, 05:53 PM
what about bein kidnapped, is that a risk there?
Well, if you are carrying those books, you might be kidnapped by desperate OOTS fans. Bring extra copies to barter for your freedom.

Khantalas
2007-07-22, 05:59 PM
But... Topkapi isn't on Anatolia...

And yes, we need more books over here in Turkey. Or, well, any books at all, for people who are still dependent on their parents for online shopping.

As the resident Turkish guy in the playground, I also feel the need to say welcome. We should get together sometime.

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-22, 06:11 PM
This topic's making me hungry....

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-07-22, 08:28 PM
I know... I rarely get to eat turkey. I need to beef up my Anatolian state consumption.

Regneva
2007-07-23, 01:53 AM
The puns... the puns.... the horror....

Hi Khantalas, nice to meet you :smallbiggrin: I was thinking I was alone here :smallsmile: Thanks for the clarification.
Well that makes two of us now. Can someone please arrange a "Save the Turkish OOTSers fund?" It would be tax deductible.

I'm sorry I knew the topic would seem a bit out of place but I wanted to post it here.

Say what, I'll throw in a free "turkey salami sandwitch" with salad for any OOTS missionaries to travel here. (Notice "t" is NOT capital) Deal?

Pronounceable
2007-07-23, 04:55 PM
Psst, Regneva... There are actually many of us around the net. We just tend to be unidentifiable...

Yes, the puns are pretty boring. But we can always take it out of Egyptians, you know...

Back on topic, you think we can get "StTOotSers Fund" started now, and then embezzle millions later? Then we COULD afford the shipping fees...

FrostXian
2007-07-23, 04:59 PM
Just to make you realize the sheer number of Turkish people here, here I post.
Shame on you for thinking you'll get kidnapped if you come here, by the way. We're no Iraq or Iran or whatever the hell you think this place is.
And for the last time;
WE DO NOT HAVE CAMELS (except in zoos, and we had an elephant here, but he got old and died, we need a new one now).

Brusi
2007-07-23, 06:53 PM
Hello there, i've been hanging on these forums for quite long but i have never posted until now. Just wanted to say that i too am from Turkey and totally agree with my friends here.. we need a new elephant! :smallyuk: and.. yeah you will be most welcome here! (if you come with those books!!!11 :smalltongue: ) I d add a few things to that list as well but anyways :smallsigh:

dwagiebard
2007-07-23, 07:03 PM
see the lovli lakes...

[/monty python]

Morty
2007-07-24, 04:35 AM
Just make sure you go through Poland so that I may rob you off your books.:smalltongue: You're not the only desperate to get them.

Theodora
2007-07-24, 04:54 AM
Well, I've been in Turkey for vacation, and it was really nice. :smallsmile: It is just next to Greece, "so why not ?", I said. I loved the hammams (relaxing) and turkish tea (really strong taste). I liked the muslim temples too. I recommend it, and you can also come and take a look at my country, our islands! :smallcool: Hail Mediterranean!

Regneva
2007-07-24, 06:23 AM
Well, I've been in Turkey for vacation, and it was really nice. :smallsmile: It is just next to Greece, "so why not ?", I said. I loved the hammams (relaxing) and turkish tea (really strong taste). I liked the muslim temples too. I recommend it, and you can also come and take a look at my country, our islands! :smallcool: Hail Mediterranean!

Geia neighbour! Thanks for the additional opinion.

So we, non-americans, non-english europeans still have no way of reading more oots? :(

rakkoon
2007-07-24, 07:16 AM
This Belgian bloke would also like to support the site by buying some real life comics, alas I have the same Turkish feeling towards paying 50% of the book in shipping costs. Perhaps we should all pool together, order 1000 copies and meet somewhere in the middle. Say the European capital :smallsmile:

feras
2007-07-24, 10:27 AM
And if you give your books to me i could be your guide in that cold dangerous desert between seas... dum dum dum. (Well if you will come summer than its really really hot.)

Scarab83
2007-07-24, 11:08 AM
I have a question..

What the hell is "Turkish Delight"?

Regneva
2007-07-24, 11:25 AM
I have a question..

What the hell is "Turkish Delight"?

Its a Turkish delicacy. Its a very sweet dessert made from Sugar, Corn starch, lemon etc. with various toppings (Like coconut gratings, nuts or chocolate) and it comes in many different varieties, tastes and colors. Its mostly sticky and jelly like and is consumed in small matchbox size cubes.

The Turkish word for it is "Lokum". You can find it in almost every touristic town or city.

Much more info and great pictures here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Delight

So what did I win?

Selv
2007-07-24, 11:44 AM
So we, non-americans, non-english europeans still have no way of reading more oots? :(

It's non-British in this case, since the USPS makes no distinction between England and it's cooler cousins. But that's a story for another day.

Also, I'm on the APE games website right now. Start of Darkness has sold out right now, but getting Dungeon Crawling Fools, Paladin Blues and Origin of PCs comes to $68.85 (85 lira).

Shipping to Ahmed McTesterson, P.O. Box 1, Istanbul 34000 TR, comes to $33.50 (42 lira). These rates do not seem to change when I set the country to 'UK'.

Steep, yes, but not impossible- am I misunderstanding?

SMEE
2007-07-24, 11:49 AM
I'll mostly likely be in Turkey next summer, and I mostly likely get my boyfriend the OOTS books as a gift. :smallsmile:
Unfortunatly for him, I belive he'll not have enough free time to read them until I've left Turkey. :smallredface:

But then again, I'll be kidnaping him from there forever shortly after. :smalltongue:

Scarab83
2007-07-24, 11:50 AM
So what did I win?

Naturally, you win some Turkish Delight!

(So.. is it the consistancy of like.. a swedish fish?)

Tarsus
2007-07-24, 01:25 PM
Gotta say, I'm a cannucker that went for two weeks in Turkey. I started in Istanbul then went to Izmir, Effes(forgot the English spelling) and Bodrum.

The Country is absolutely charming. I was NOT kidnapped. Then again, I had a good time hanging out in back alleys playing Taoulah (backgammon) with strangers.

If you don't go to the tourist (tourrorist) areas, people are friendly and generous. If you go to tourist areas (bodrum), some people will ask "Where's my money".

All in all, it was great. (te shokre folks!) but to come back to the point, can you check the price for sending a parcel to Istanbul via usps, ups and dhl? From what I can tell from the forums Rich Burlew seems to be a model of a gentleman and will help you folks give him money if you ask nicely. :)

Alysar
2007-07-24, 02:37 PM
Been Looking forward to spending a good vacation away from work and abroad?

Spesifically in the mediterranean?

Come to Turkey! With its friendly people and its sunny weather, its the Holiday of choice! Visit the historical places of Anatolia, from the Topkapı palace in Istanbul to the aphitheater of Ephesus, Turkey is filled with history.
Learn more about our culture. Spend a quiet night and dine with your significant other in a fancy restaurant overlooking the bosphorus, the only bridge on earth that joins two continents!

Or if you are more of an active type, check out the clubs and bars of Taksim or Ortaköy in İstanbul or enjoy a swim off the beautiful beaches of Kemer, Antalya, Side, Bodrum and the rest of south coast!

Its the best time of the year, you won't regret it! :smallbiggrin:

Come see the majestik cämel

My sister was once bitten by a cämel

Rincewind
2007-07-24, 03:36 PM
Captain Rincewind, reporting from Turkiye.

I have the OotS books, there's something called "internet ordering". :smallbiggrin:

"Turkish Delight" is actually a soft candy, which we name "Lokum". It's made of sugar and win. I wonder which perverted merchant named it "Turkish Delight" first, but it's been quite popular for years. :D

If any of you actually think of visiting Turkey, you might PM me, or any of these guys also from Turkey for any help. Don't worry about the crime rates or anything, it's not worse than Italia. Definitely not on par with L.A. or Noir York...

FrostXian
2007-07-24, 03:56 PM
Come see the majestik cämel

My sister was once bitten by a cämel

I see, so what's the difference between a camel and a cämel?
Is cämel a 6 headed giant avatar of destruction and ruin?

Fishies
2007-07-24, 04:17 PM
Apparently a crazy little Turkish Delight tastes "like a Gummi-bear making sweet, sweet love to a marshmallow. In your mouth." according to Kingdom of Loathing.

Isak
2007-07-24, 04:42 PM
Might as well post my Turkish Heritage as well :smallbiggrin:

While never having been to Turkey itself, my Father was born and raised in Turkey. I believe he has a fairly large farm somewhere near Istanbul, but I could be mistaken about it's location.

I've always wanted to visit though... Maybe I should bug him one of these days to buy me a plane ticket :smalltongue:

KuduzDrHector
2007-07-24, 05:17 PM
Hmm, interesting to see that there are quite a few of us - turkish people - in the playground. I've known that D&D has always been popular, but none of my friends in Turkey actually knew this site.

By the way, do not buy the crap they sell as the "turkish delight" in the UK. I've never tasted a decent one over all these years I've been here. The real turkish delight is sold in Turkey, and if it's well made, it's the tastiest thing ever! (hmm, I'll be flying to Turkey for my holidays tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to taste all those luvly stuff including baklava, kunefe, dolma, adana kebap, iskender kebap etc :smallbiggrin: )

I'm sorry, I do not have any of those books guys, but apparently they're all the same price for Europe, whether it's UK or Turkey.

Also, I'd like to protest the guy, who's trying to associate Turkey with camels. Where did that come from? :smallannoyed:

Alysar
2007-07-24, 08:25 PM
I see, so what's the difference between a camel and a cämel?
Is cämel a 6 headed giant avatar of destruction and ruin?

I don't know. What's the difference between a moose and a møøse?

Lord Herman
2007-07-25, 05:38 AM
Also, I'd like to protest the guy, who's trying to associate Turkey with camels. Where did that come from? :smallannoyed:

You're not fooling anyone, you know. Everyone knows Turkey is practically one big desert, full of camels and nomadic tribes. You're just trying to cover it up so people won't come to steal your sand.

KuduzDrHector
2007-07-25, 07:08 AM
You're not fooling anyone, you know. Everyone knows Turkey is practically one big desert, full of camels and nomadic tribes. You're just trying to cover it up so people won't come to steal your sand.

Ha ha, you got me there mate, but don't come begging to me when your home in the Netherlands is submerged under water because of the raising water levels/hurricanes due to the global warming :smalltongue:

InaVegt
2007-07-25, 07:17 AM
No, you peoples have it all wrong, Turkish delight is a perverted novel written by some dutch guy, for some reason this novel is now considered great literature by the dutch schools and it's almost obligatory reading at high school.

Regneva
2007-07-25, 08:13 AM
I have the OotS books, there's something called "internet ordering". :smallbiggrin:

Well DUH... Guess I never knew they were being sold online, huh?
Well how much did you pay for them? And how much is that is for shipping?

malakim2099
2007-07-25, 08:35 AM
Well DUH... Guess I never knew they were being sold online, huh?
Well how much did you pay for them? And how much is that is for shipping?

I dunno. But have you tried going through eBay? I know there are sellers there that carry the books... :smallconfused:

Though if I ever go to Europe, I think I know what I'll pack.

cenghiz
2007-07-25, 08:58 AM
There are _so_ many Turkish people here? Eh.. I'm one of them... By the way, if anyone from ArmageddonMUD crew is reading this, I'm not dead. I just got bored of RPing and shifted to roguelike for some time.

Reading the title, I thought I missed something about Turkey and OOTS.. Sad.. Maybe we should bribe Rich to lead OOTS to Anatolia.

Khantalas
2007-07-25, 06:13 PM

There's something called "being younger than 18 with parents that don't trust online shopping", too.

This thread doesn't threaten my position as the resident Turkish guy, right?

Also, shouldn't this thread be moved to Friendly Banter or something at this point?

FrostXian
2007-07-26, 05:36 AM

The spice must flow..

Irenicus_Jon
2007-07-26, 06:09 AM
Whoever controls the spice, controls Dune.

Anyway, actually registered and made my first post to proudly announce I am from Turkey too. Guess we have ourselves a little army here, don't we?

:P

SMEE
2007-07-26, 06:15 AM
Captain Rincewind, reporting from Turkiye.

May I inquire you if about what kind of importing taxes you had to pay from them?
I've decided that my boyfriend will be getting those books at christmas, and I need to know if there will be any extra fees other than the shipping fee that I'll have to pay for. :smallsmile:

InaVegt
2007-07-26, 06:28 AM
Man, those nomads must have plenty of satellite phones, for there to be so many here.

The Dirge
2007-07-26, 06:49 AM
A Turkish army? Now we are in trouble. Especially considering I am an Australian:smalltongue:

DrivinAllNight
2007-07-26, 10:57 AM
There is an easy way to beat shipping rates,
Find an American soldier that you know, (they seem to be all over the world), and have them order them for you and they get shipped at basic USA rates, since they are shipped to an FPO/APO address. Had to do this many times for items while I was in the Middle East area. Was cheaper than buying them from the locals.
Although, I am not sure on the total legality of this method for whatever country you use it in.
Enjoy :smallsmile:

Morbidian
2007-07-26, 11:31 AM
I love Turkey.

Why, you may ask?

This Movie. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7069307816427160377)

Warning: The last 20 minutes of the film will probably cause your brain to explode.

Enough said.

Khantalas
2007-07-26, 11:36 AM
Also known as "The Man Who Saves The World", literally translated from Turkish to English.

Which is an example at movie-making lessons worldwide of how not to make a movie.

It even has a sequel, you know.

FrostXian
2007-07-26, 11:37 AM
There is an easy way to beat shipping rates,
Find an American soldier that you know, (they seem to be all over the world), and have them order them for you and they get shipped at basic USA rates, since they are shipped to an FPO/APO address. Had to do this many times for items while I was in the Middle East area. Was cheaper than buying them from the locals.
Although, I am not sure on the total legality of this method for whatever country you use it in.
Enjoy :smallsmile:

Erm. How are we supposed to find an American soilder in Turkey?
Hello? Turkey is in Europe? No American soilders here? They're like, at MIDWEST (and occasionaly in America).
EDIT: Is there a website called www.findarandomsoilderwhollsendyoustuff.com or..?
EDIT 2:

I love Turkey.

Why, you may ask?

This Movie. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7069307816427160377)

Warning: The last 20 minutes of the film will probably cause your brain to explode.

Enough said.
Epic exploding rocks.

Morbidian
2007-07-26, 11:59 AM
Also known as "The Man Who Saves The World", literally translated from Turkish to English.

Which is an example at movie-making lessons worldwide of how not to make a movie.

Yes indeed...and I love the film because while it is indeed a really, really bad movie, it is such a jaw-droppingly insane piece of work, it's absolutely hilarious to watch. Especially without the subtitles, because without them I have NO clue what's going on in the film, and that just makes it all the better.

And it has one of the greatest combo attack sequences in the history of movie-making:

*Guy is about to be attacked from behind by a mummy. In response, he kicks behind him, hitting said mummy in the groin.

* While said mummy is doubled over in pain, guy reaches behind himself, grabs the mummy's head, and rips it off the shoulders, then kicks the flailing, decapitated body to the ground.

* But that's not enough because he then hurls the head at another oncoming mummy...which EXPLODES!

If that five-second sequence alone does not elicit at least a "What the @*^&?!?" from a viewer the first time it is seen, the viewer is probably catatonic.

Whoever wrote this film was either a genius or completely insane, because I don't think I could come up with crazy ideas like some of the stuff in there without being under the simultaneous influence of at least three prescription-only medications.

It even has a sequel, you know.

So I've heard...but I've also heard it's not nearly so hilarious. Oh well...

DrivinAllNight
2007-07-26, 11:59 AM
Hello? Turkey is in Europe? No American soilders here? They're like, at MIDWEST (and occasionaly in America).
EDIT: Is there a website called www.findarandomsoilderwhollsendyoustuff.com or..?
EDIT 2:

Epic exploding rocks.

I don't know if there are any in Turkey or not, but they seem to be in alot of places in the world. Was just a suggestion, not that it was a good one or would work, but just a suggestion, since it worked for me over in the Middle East. And how bad is the shipping rates to Turkey anyways?

Scarab83
2007-07-26, 01:12 PM
I'd love to visit a place like Turkey, in all honesty. I love history and architecture and the like. Though, I'm quite monolingual, and I'm a little nervous traveling abroad as an American these days. Although, I'd probably be safe, I mean.. who would kidnap a kid in a wheelchair? Seems in poor taste. :smallbiggrin:

Khantalas
2007-07-26, 02:28 PM
We should totally have a meetup someday, seeing how many of us we have here.

Just out of curiosity, how many of us Turkish people actually live in Turkey again?

LCR
2007-07-26, 02:34 PM
Oooh, Turkey's supposed to be nice. Lots of old Greek ruins.
But I've heard Turkish authorities are rather strict on taking rocks with you ("Stop! You're stealing our cultural heritage! - "Dude, that's just a pebble from the beach ...").

Khantalas
2007-07-26, 02:43 PM
Oooh, Turkey's supposed to be nice. Lots of old Greek ruins.
But I've heard Turkish authorities are rather strict on taking rocks with you ("Stop! You're stealing our cultural heritage! - "Dude, that's just a pebble from the beach ...").

Well, you can take them from beaches. You just can't take them from ruins.

And that is from a country who left a historical site to be flooded.

Yeah, we're so weird over here.

Syka
2007-07-26, 02:45 PM
Erm, US Soldiers aren't just in the Middle East or America...There's bases all over the world. I found this (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/incirlik.htm) with a quick google search of "US Army Bases in Turkey" and you could do it with any branch of the military.

Cheers,
Syka

Trog
2007-07-26, 02:47 PM
:eek:

Holy Turks in the Playground Batman! Lots more out there than I thought.

*scribbles note to self* Turks... are... apparently... world class... lurkers... :smalltongue:

LCR
2007-07-26, 02:53 PM
Well, you can take them from beaches. You just can't take them from ruins.

And that is from a country who left a historical site to be flooded.

Yeah, we're so weird over here.

Didn't want to insult your country, sorry:smalleek:
I know, we do weird stuff over here, too (and probably even more so).

Khantalas
2007-07-26, 03:14 PM
Didn't want to insult your country, sorry:smalleek:
I know, we do weird stuff over here, too (and probably even more so).

Insult? I thought it was a compliment on our weirdness.

SMEE
2007-07-26, 03:42 PM
Out of the whole lot of turks in the playground, I can surelly tell that at least one of them is gorgeous and loveable. :smallredface:

* winks at Khan general direction

LCR
2007-07-26, 04:13 PM
Insult? I thought it was a compliment on our weirdness.

Umm ... sure! Yeah, compliment!
Can we be weird, too?

Regneva
2007-07-26, 04:37 PM
So I've heard...but I've also heard it's not nearly so hilarious. Oh well...

It's quite pathetic actually. The cast includes lost of people with NO casting experience. An example is "Pascal Nouma" (Soccer Player). I mean, who'd think a soccer player as an actor?! Idiocy...

I didn't like the original one either but, since it might make you happy, the lead actor of the original film also appears here; as the father of the lead. The movie's name is "Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam'ın Oğlu" ("Son of the man who saved the world")

Back to subject, I don't think I can find an American soldier that would want to help. Nearest American base is too far away anyways.

@SMEE:
Somebody left her heart here I suppose? :smallsmile:. Well Turkish people are "lovable" in general, and more civilized than you may realize.

@The Dirge:
Why would an australian person be afraid of any Turkish army?

For the "Turks are nomadic" assumption:
We are no longer nomadic, settled in on these lands hundreds of years ago and we are staying. Case in point; we are requesting membership in the European Union (which WOULD drop the tax rates I suppose)

Again, HELLO and MERHABA to all the Turks and people living in Turkey! YES, we should meet sometime!

ForzaFiori
2007-07-26, 05:06 PM
no offense to the Turkish-itp, but when i get the money to travel to a Mediterranean country, first on my list is Italy, to visit my roots.

although Turkey is high on the list.

Ceres
2007-07-26, 06:40 PM
I'm going to Kios in two days. It's almost close enough to swim over :smalltongue:

Midnight Son
2007-07-26, 07:43 PM
I sure wish I could come to Turkey. I'd like to visit my Parents there before they come back to the US next year. Finances just don't allow, though.

Mattarias, King.
2007-07-26, 08:00 PM
My grandpa lives in Turkey, and I spent four years of my life in Lebanon, but no offense, I'm not going back.

XDXD also, LOL at the above "MERHABA". That made me giggle. :smallbiggrin:

I prefer burgers to loubieh, myself. ^^;

Hushdawg
2007-07-26, 08:28 PM
What part of Turkey are you in?

My boss is from there and we have some people over there doing stuff.

My boss is actually Kurdish in ethnicity.

Are you Muslim as well? What is it now 90% of the population there is Muslim still, right?

Anyway... if you are or if you aren't: Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

Regneva
2007-07-27, 12:43 AM
Well my ID says I'm muslim but I'm mostly an atheist.

If your boss is kurdish, I assume he's from the eastern part of Turkey though he could be anywhere :smallsmile: . I'm from Istanbul but I live in İzmir.

About 90% of the population is still Muslim yes, but I assume some of them are just like me in belief :smallconfused:

Irenicus_Jon
2007-07-27, 01:13 AM
I'm from Istanbul and I live in Istanbul.

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-27, 01:43 AM
Hello? Turkey is in Europe? No American soilders here? They're like, at MIDWEST (and occasionaly in America).There also appears to be an air squadron located in Izmir (http://www.militaryinstallations.dod.mil/ismart/MHF-MI/search.do?programID=&branchID=USAF&installationID=4630&installationName=Izmir+AS&countryID=TU&postalCode=&distance=50&x=34&y=10).

Hushdawg
2007-07-27, 10:13 AM
Well my ID says I'm muslim but I'm mostly an atheist.

If your boss is kurdish, I assume he's from the eastern part of Turkey though he could be anywhere :smallsmile: . I'm from Istanbul but I live in İzmir.

About 90% of the population is still Muslim yes, but I assume some of them are just like me in belief :smallconfused:

He's from the southeast, you are correct. But he's lived all over Turkey and has family and friends from Urfa to Istanbul to the Mediterranian sea.

We just built a school not too far from Urfa actually.. in a small community that he lived in as a boy.

Yeah, I have heard that a lot from Turkish immegrants... most of them that come here to America embrace Islam after coming here even though they'd been raised around it in Turkey.

Hushdawg
2007-07-27, 10:14 AM
I'm from Istanbul and I live in Istanbul.

... once Constantinople...

:biggrin:

I need to take a trip to Turkey.. I want to see the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia and all the brilliant archetecture and art that was developed through the age of the Ottoman Empire.

The Dirge
2007-07-27, 10:09 PM
@The Dirge:
Why would an australian person be afraid of any Turkish army?

Becasue the Turks annihilated our soldier at Gallipoli. Still, no hard feelings and I like to come to Turkey one day and see Suvla bay.

Edit: I think its called ANZAC bay now.

Irenicus_Jon
2007-07-28, 02:56 AM
As far as we are concerned, Australians are brothers to us, having died fighting another man's war *cough* English *cough* through manipulation. Both our ancestors died in this country, it is as much yours as it is ours :)

Lord Herman
2007-07-28, 07:34 AM
Becasue the Turks annihilated our soldier at Gallipoli.

Well, what did you expect, sending one soldier against an army? :smalltongue:

North
2007-07-28, 10:55 AM
Well, what did you expect, sending one soldier against an army? :smalltongue:

Um a kegger party?

Vampire包子
2007-07-28, 11:45 AM
So, I took some buds out to Pizza Hut (it's actually high-end, classy) and while we were waiting for a seat, another foreigner walked in. Turned out he was Turkish! First Turk I've seen here, friends thought it was pretty funny, I had guessed Mediterranian, but not Turkey.

The funny part was talking about him, knowing he couldn't understand a word of what I was saying to my friends, until she pointed out the Turkish dude's translator was sitting behind me.

Ah, well, at least I was friendly to him in English.

Hushdawg
2007-07-30, 10:35 AM
So, I took some buds out to Pizza Hut (it's actually high-end, classy) and while we were waiting for a seat, another foreigner walked in. Turned out he was Turkish! First Turk I've seen here, friends thought it was pretty funny, I had guessed Mediterranian, but not Turkey.

The funny part was talking about him, knowing he couldn't understand a word of what I was saying to my friends, until she pointed out the Turkish dude's translator was sitting behind me.

Ah, well, at least I was friendly to him in English.

First off: Pizza Hut as high-end and classy really surprised me. In the Philippines they all look like fancy restraunts, not like the run-down joints they are in the States.

Secondly: It's nice to know that you were talking nicly about a person in spite of thier being able to hear you.

I work with people of various ethnicities, and even though they are all American citizens, when we go out to eat at places I hear people say the nastiest things about them. All of my co-workers speak English fluently, even though one is Kurdish, one Palestinian, one Egyptian and one Tunesian... in fact, most of us speak at lease three languages, my boss (the Kurdish man) speaks eight.

So everyone should bear in mind that they should never say anything about someone that they wouldn't mind saying to their face.
Good for you in making that example.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-30, 04:07 PM
Just to make you realize the sheer number of Turkish people here, here I post.
Shame on you for thinking you'll get kidnapped if you come here, by the way. We're no Iraq or Iran or whatever the hell you think this place is.
And for the last time;
WE DO NOT HAVE CAMELS (except in zoos, and we had an elephant here, but he got old and died, we need a new one now).

Sorry, the elephant thing had me laughing....

Um a kegger party?

Send a solider anywhere, you get one of those.

Build a base anywhere, and you get Burger King and at least one strip club