PDA

View Full Version : [Build Help] Skyknight

Fax Celestis
2007-07-22, 03:22 PM
So I've got an idea for a character in an upcoming game--a wild-west, frontier-style game.

It's basically a skyknight. Image below for reference for those of you who weren't around for Ice Age:
http://www.psoft.at/~newsettler/magicdb/JPegs/IceAge/KjeldoranSkyknight.jpg

So I'm kicking around some ideas. I plan on focusing on the lance for melee and the longbow for ranged--shooting down onto my opponents from the air means that I need to worry about my HD less and I can take the Plunging Shot feat from HoB. However, I'm having some troubles actually pinning down a set build.

I've got permission from my DM to use UE's Algorondan Griffinrider as an eaglerider without political affiliation, so that's good. Problem is, getting there.

Its a tossup between using Paladin levels to get a special mount and Druid levels to get an animal companion. The latter is quicker, certainly, but I'll probably be dropping those spells almost immediately.

Also an issue is whether or not I use Wild Plains Outrider. It does seem to mesh well with the idea of a flying mount, and it's got some good features.

There's also Beast Heart Adept, which could be good if I could get giant eagle on their list.

There's certainly stuff I'm missing, but do note: I'm not looking for ultramount; I'm looking for skyknight. I want my mount to survive, not outclass me.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-07-22, 03:42 PM
So I've got an idea for a character in an upcoming game--a wild-west, frontier-style game.

It's basically a skyknight. Image below for reference for those of you who weren't around for Ice Age:
http://www.psoft.at/~newsettler/magicdb/JPegs/IceAge/KjeldoranSkyknight.jpg

So I'm kicking around some ideas. I plan on focusing on the lance for melee and the longbow for ranged--shooting down onto my opponents from the air means that I need to worry about my HD less and I can take the Plunging Shot feat from HoB. However, I'm having some troubles actually pinning down a set build.

I've got permission from my DM to use UE's Algorondan Griffinrider as an eaglerider without political affiliation, so that's good. Problem is, getting there.

Its a tossup between using Paladin levels to get a special mount and Druid levels to get an animal companion. The latter is quicker, certainly, but I'll probably be dropping those spells almost immediately.

Also an issue is whether or not I use Wild Plains Outrider. It does seem to mesh well with the idea of a flying mount, and it's got some good features.

There's also Beast Heart Adept, which could be good if I could get giant eagle on their list.

There's certainly stuff I'm missing, but do note: I'm not looking for ultramount; I'm looking for skyknight. I want my mount to survive, not outclass me.

Look into Paladin/Ranger synergy with Ascetic Tracker: your animal companion and paladin mount become one critter which gets both sets of bonuses. That should make for a very tough companion.

dyslexicfaser
2007-07-22, 06:47 PM
Or there's always the Skylord PrC from BoED.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-22, 06:53 PM
Oh yeah! That might work. Anyone know if the Skylord's mount stacks with anything, even if I have to spend a feat for it?

Benejeseret
2007-07-22, 08:56 PM
In principle this is nearly the same sort of thing my character is going towards.
Of course, mine is allot darker in character being a whisper gnome riding dire bats...none the less.

The way I am approaching it is this: 6 levels of ranger with the Mounted Combat Combat Style. ((Rideby at 2nd and spirited charge at 6th))
With the natural bond feat (thus 6 level ranger has a lvl6 equivilent druid companion - dire bat with +2HD). Then I will go into the beastmaster prc to gain a series of bats/direbats/batswarm type companions to accompany my main bat mount. If you get permission for giant eagles etc (or via feats like the savage feats available or via going beast heart adept rather than beastmaster) then the premise between our builds is very similar.

Feats I will choose are things like diving charge (adds d6 damage depending on charge distance), power attack, and the like. I will try to get weapon focus Lance if I can fit it in.

The key to this is the varient ranger as it grants the critical rideby and spirited charge feats for 'free' while still giving animal companion levels and a full BAB. I also favour beastmaster because with up to 4+ animals, each with its own unique subset of skills and feats, I have some versitility in my personal feat choice.

Wish you could sunder/trip/disarm as well as swoop in with your lance? With all those animals one could gather sunder feats, another trip feats (wolf/riding dog), and others disarm or other such tactical feats. Or just have them use flyby feat and Aid Another for a VERY lucrative to hit bonus allowing you to really charge up Power Attack.

I will definately keep an eye on this thead as I am very curious to see how your character develops

Bene

dyslexicfaser
2007-07-22, 09:17 PM
Oh yeah! That might work. Anyone know if the Skylord's mount stacks with anything, even if I have to spend a feat for it?
If you mean things like animal companions, I looked up the class in BoED and it didn't say anything one way or the other.

Lemur
2007-07-22, 09:37 PM
Is it really necessary to get a companion/mount before taking the PrC? You realize that you get a bonded mount when you start taking the class, and you don't need a companion beforehand to qualify, right? I don't think stacking paladin levels with Alg Griffonrider will make a noticeable difference, since the progression the prestige class provides works fine on its own.

Starsinger
2007-07-22, 09:56 PM
Is it really necessary to get a companion/mount before taking the PrC? You realize that you get a bonded mount when you start taking the class, and you don't need a companion beforehand to qualify, right? I don't think stacking paladin levels with Alg Griffonrider will make a noticeable difference, since the progression the prestige class provides works fine on its own.

Well yeah, but good + something else = better.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-22, 10:08 PM
That, and this DM has a tendency of starting people at level 1. I'd like to be stepping into my intended role in the party as soon as possible.

Fizban
2007-07-23, 12:15 AM
Its a tossup between using Paladin levels to get a special mount and Druid levels to get an animal companion.
Why use either? Use the Wild Cohort feat from the wizard's site and get an animal companion with one less hit die, there's also a PrC for those who want to ride them. I've lost the link at the moment, but I'll dig it up.

Link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) If anyone ninja'd me, I blame the 500mhz comp I'm running right now. It laughs at my modem and takes it's own sweet time.

Behold_the_Void
2007-07-23, 04:33 AM
All right, this suggestion, while including build, includes a lot of pure roleplay stuff. Ignore if your DM is not up to plot hooks.

Start your career as a Paladin and pick up the Aesthetic Tracker feat. Use the Mounted Combat Ranger variant if at all possible. If not, the rest of the feats go to the Natural Bond for a better Ranger animal companion and Mounted Combat-related feats.

See if your DM will allow you to discover a young, abandoned Giant Eagle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/eagleGiant.htm) (as I am assuming that's what you'll be using for the Aesthir). You, being the lawful good and noble wilderness knight that you are, take and care for the animal, and it becomes your companion. As you progress in level, the eagle begins to appear different, until you realize that the eagle was not a mortal giant eagle at all, but a celestial entity sent as a gift by your god. By the time you get the animal companion up to a reasonable level, you're already using the build, and by rearing cost it should only take you up to about 3rd or 4th level (you can always use a horse until then). Enter prestige classes as appropriate.