PDA

View Full Version : guide lines for balanced tome of battle homebrew?

sage20500
2017-02-12, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know if there is a set of guidelines for creating homebrew disiciplines for tome of battle? I was interested in trying to create a balanced discipline that was based around disabling creatures.

khadgar567
2017-02-12, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know if there is a set of guidelines for creating homebrew disiciplines for tome of battle? I was interested in trying to create a balanced discipline that was based around disabling creatures.
I like to know to is there any rules to create martial traditions.

JoshuaZ
2017-02-12, 11:41 AM

I don't know of any specific guidelines. The general rules for saves are straightforward. As a general rule of thumb, one probably wants 2-5 maneuvers per a level. The number of maneuvers known as a prerequisite jumps a bit but for a maneuver of level n generally has as a prerequisite around (n-1)/2 maneuvers. If a maneuver duplicates or closely emulates a spell the maneuver should generally be about 1-2 levels higher than the spell.

sage20500
2017-02-12, 12:03 PM
If i was going to make a maneuver that emulated ray of enfeeblement, would i want to keep it as a 1d6 strength penalty or would i change it to be a flat number?

Also how often should strikes or boosts scale with level?

sage20500
2017-02-12, 12:06 PM
I had an idea about making a discipline that was able to actually able to go about debilatating anything that has a corporeal form with obvious weak points (such as attacking the elbow or joint of an undead or golem to deal a strength penalty, hit the knee for a dex penalty) as well as being able to have boosts that could make an initiator consider using stunning fist or its alternative feats as an option.

Trying to figure out how to go about doing it though.

sage20500
2017-02-12, 01:48 PM
Ok, so i had an idea for it, and it'd be to make the strikes supernatural and say that it causes penalties because the fluff would be that your essnetially weakening\warping muscle, flesh, bone, bark, or what ever material by forcing it to rapidly age (i'm thinking that fluff wise id say the discipline was founded by an unseelie fey monk and thats why the discipline does stuff like this.) Now the big question i have would be should i say that the strikes that deal ability penalties act as a curse like effect?

Do curses naturally count as a necromantic effect?

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-12, 03:54 PM
You can use the edit post button if you want to add more thoughts- multiposting is bad form.

I found some guidelines for developing individual maneuvers, if you're interested. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?274989-Make-Your-Own-Maneuver-3-5-PEACH)
The formatting got lost, but there's a link to adapting spells into maneuvers.
Ray of Enfeeblement turns into a melee attack roll, and the target must make saves, roll SR as usual.