PDA

View Full Version : Hey WotC where's my Feats Compendium?

tedcahill2
2017-02-12, 11:43 AM
Seriously, when are we going to get a book that combines all feats from all books in 3.5? Or for that matter, we're my Prestige Class Compendium?

Swaoeaeieu
2017-02-12, 11:48 AM
i think they are kinda busy witht he whole fifth edition thing going on.

daremetoidareyo
2017-02-12, 12:03 PM
Anyone know who works at Wizards? We could totally make a pitch to get permission to print these sorts of things.

We will need to demonstrate non-competition with 5th edition or sufficient revenue to accommodate the competition. Anyone know how to do a market survey? We could argue that our feat compendium will be marketed towards pathfindees.

Inevitability
2017-02-12, 12:27 PM
1. People generally don't pay well for duplicated material.

2. There's no precedent for such a book: even the Spell Compendium contained new spells.

3. 3.5 has been dead for nine years.

Troacctid
2017-02-12, 12:59 PM
archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats&tablesort=1

Fuglen
2017-02-12, 01:18 PM
archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats&tablesort=1

Bit off topic, but I gotta ask. People keep using links to wizards, but for me they are all dead. Giving me a good old error 404. Is there something special you gotta do to make it show?

Buufreak
2017-02-12, 01:32 PM
As someone who tries to write for WotC, and knows Mike Mearls, you will get a cease and desist. I've gotten about 4 now.

Telok
2017-02-12, 03:41 PM
Seriously, when are we going to get a book that combines all feats from all books in 3.5? Or for that matter, we're my Prestige Class Compendium?

I'll see your compendium and raise you ToB errata.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-12, 04:08 PM
Bit off topic, but I gotta ask. People keep using links to wizards, but for me they are all dead. Giving me a good old error 404. Is there something special you gotta do to make it show?

If you change the beginning of the address from www.wizards.com to archive.wizards.com the rest of the address is usually unchanged. Do yourself a favor though and save anything your -really- don't want to lose in PDF or some other format. WotC won't maintain those archives forever.

Fuglen
2017-02-13, 01:32 AM
If you change the beginning of the address from www.wizards.com to archive.wizards.com the rest of the address is usually unchanged. Do yourself a favor though and save anything your -really- don't want to lose in PDF or some other format. WotC won't maintain those archives forever.

Sadly I get it even with the archive part now a days. :/

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-13, 01:38 AM

Next best guess is to enter the title of the article into google along with the command "site:archive.wizards.com" to search their archive directly. If that doesn't work, it may be gone for good.

ImSAMazing
2017-02-13, 01:38 AM

Search, on Google, 'Wayback engine'. Put the link into that site, and you can pick a earlier date(around 2014 is usually fine, but ofc. not before the thread was made), and tadaa!

Crake
2017-02-13, 02:24 AM
So... how long do we need to wait for 3.5 to enter the public domain then?

Troacctid
2017-02-13, 02:30 AM
Under current law, I believe the whole run should be public domain by 2102.

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-13, 02:39 AM

I woudn't hold your breath. As long as WotC keeps making new versions of the game, the product identity items (the stuff not in the SRD) will remain their property and the copyright will continue to be renewed. So basically, we're waiting for WotC to fail as a business or to deliberately abandon the property. I don't see either of those things happening in the forseeable future.

Note; I'm not a lawyer and the preceding is not intended as legal advice. It's just how that particular bit of copyright works as I understand it.

Telok
2017-02-13, 02:48 AM
My understanding is that every time a particular cartoon mouse nears it's copyright expiration date a particular large corporation lobbys to get the copyright durations lengthened. So probably never.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-13, 02:51 AM
My understanding is that every time a particular cartoon mouse nears it's copyright expiration date a particular large corporation lobbys to get the copyright durations lengthened. So probably never.

Careful, I hear that mouse has snipers and I know he's got a star base the size of a moon, complete with panet-busting death-ray.

Efrate
2017-02-13, 06:58 AM
Realmshelp has a bunch of stuff not on wizards website, mostly dragon magazine stuff. Candlekeep had an okay list before they went poof, its still floating around sonewhere. Or wayback machine it.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-13, 07:11 AM
Careful, I hear that mouse has snipers and I know he's got a star base the size of a moon, complete with panet-busting death-ray.

No, even worse than snipers, even worse than Death Stars....

Lawyers.

Buufreak
2017-02-13, 07:35 AM
I got a cousin who works at a cookie place that used to have a license agreement to do Disney themed cakes. They pulled it a few years ago, and now they get a monthly call from a Disney rep trying to bait them into making a cake for copyright infringement.

Don't take the mouse or his iron clad legal team lightly, yo!

weckar
2017-02-13, 07:54 AM
Frankly, I'd like to see a C&D by Wizards actually play out for once. For much of their material they don't have a leg to stand on as it is based on existing legend, lore and mythology - or otherwise a derivative of others' work. Funnily, the game mechanics are the one thing they have never truly tried to protect.

MisterKaws
2017-02-13, 08:04 AM
I have two lists for each of those things you've mentioned. Both got DMCA'd by Wizards as soon as they got popular.

Some people mentioned the newer, more popular, and less complete one in this thread already. Nobody here would or could link it to you, though.

weckar
2017-02-13, 08:06 AM
DMCA'd? You mean you DIDN'T host them on a server in a non-WIPO country? Best they can then do is unlist them; the Internet doesn't operate solely on U.S. Law, after all :smalltongue:

MisterKaws
2017-02-13, 09:27 AM
DMCA'd? You mean you DIDN'T host them on a server in a non-WIPO country? Best they can then do is unlist them; the Internet doesn't operate solely on U.S. Law, after all :smalltongue:

Well, I have them downloaded, so I don't really know where they hosted it. I myself would have set up a server in the Bahamas if I planned on running anything of that sort, but oh well. My country's laws allow for sharing with friends, anyway.

I treat all internet users as my friends.