PDA

View Full Version : Interesting magic items in a low magic setting

dark.sun.druid
2017-02-12, 03:31 PM
I'm setting up a low-magic setting for my next game, using an alternative D&D ruleset (Iron Heroes). I quite like some of the concepts introduced in Mastering Iron Heroes for magic items (magic items have drawbacks / are dangerous / etc), but was rather disappointed by many of the listed effects, which for the most part seem to just be basic enhancements from core D&D (energy resist armor, frost/fire/shock weapons, potions of healing, etc).

I feel like these effects don't lend enough of an aura of wonder and mystery to magic items for players coming from core D&D, and the game will end up just feeling like an underpowered variant of the normal game. So, I'm looking for sources of inspiration to help write my own effects that will be interesting and useful – but not game breaking – in a low-magic setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places to look to get inspiration for magic effects that are significantly different from what you would see on weapons/armor/potions in core D&D 3.5? For example: lists of nonstandard magic effects, game supplements with interesting magic items in them (from any system), short stories about unique magic items, real-world technologies that might be fun to reproduce with magic, etc. I'd also be interested to hear what methods other people use when designing custom magic effects.

carrdrivesyou
2017-02-13, 05:28 PM
If I am not mistaken, there was something that brought risk to magic using in Shadowrun. Something to the effect of magic causing some sort of backlash for using it (damage and other effects depending on the force of the spell and the spell itself).

I.e. John throws a fireball at force 5 and nearly explodes with the power of casting it, but the fireball annihilates everything in its path. Mia throws a fireball at force 1, and it splashes uncomfortably across the troll's chest.

Something like that if memory serves. Otherwise, I would suggest thematically appropriate costs for using magic items in general. Something akin to related effects.

I.e. Fire Resistance: You gain Fire Resistance 30, but you become three times as vulnerable to cold and somewhat more impulsive.

Just my two cents.

JeenLeen
2017-02-13, 05:32 PM
Not magic items, per se, but if you isolate the low-level Spheres from old World of Darkness Mage (and maybe new, I haven't played it), those could be low-level magic or made as magic items.

Mage, in general, is not low magic, but the low-level ranks of magic are generally such that they can look like coincidence or good luck, and thus might capture what you want. (I'd write more, but gotta run.)

dark.sun.druid
2017-02-13, 06:04 PM
If I am not mistaken, there was something that brought risk to magic using in Shadowrun...
For sure! I've played a fair amount of Shadowrun, I know what you're talking about. There was a similar concept in Wheel of Time, where when men (only men, bc lore reasons) channeled magic it has a chance to overpower them, and drive them insane or kill them outright. So an IDLH (immediate danger to life and health, to borrow some terminology from industry) aspect is definitely something to consider for magic channeled by humans.

Otherwise, I would suggest thematically appropriate costs for using magic items in general. Something akin to related effects.

I.e. Fire Resistance: You gain Fire Resistance 30, but you become three times as vulnerable to cold and somewhat more impulsive.
I like the idea of tying appropriate penalties -- both crunchy and fluffy -- to the use of magic items, but this is actually one of the areas that Iron Heroes has pretty well covered in the source book. I'm looking for ideas as to what primary (i.e. intended) effects to use, instead of just getting fire resist armor or similar that you could pick up at any magic item shop in normal, high-fantasy D&D. That is, I'm looking for something other than just rarity in the setting to make magic items interesting.

Not magic items, per se, but if you isolate the low-level Spheres from old World of Darkness Mage (and maybe new, I haven't played it), those could be low-level magic or made as magic items.

Mage, in general, is not low magic, but the low-level ranks of magic are generally such that they can look like coincidence or good luck, and thus might capture what you want. (I'd write more, but gotta run.)
I've never played World of Darkness, but I'll look into it and see what sorta good stuff is there. Looking to low-level magic in general in various systems is probably a good idea. Thanks!

carrdrivesyou
2017-02-13, 07:07 PM
"I like the idea of tying appropriate penalties -- both crunchy and fluffy -- to the use of magic items, but this is actually one of the areas that Iron Heroes has pretty well covered in the source book. I'm looking for ideas as to what primary (i.e. intended) effects to use, instead of just getting fire resist armor or similar that you could pick up at any magic item shop in normal, high-fantasy D&D. That is, I'm looking for something other than just rarity in the setting to make magic items interesting."

If you are looking for something a bit more abstract, I would suggest possibly using spells as guidelines. Make them part of the story. This armor will allow you to glide, but you grow feathers instead of hair while you wear it. Make it part of a dungeon challenge. Never played WoD or Iron Heroes, so I can't comment to those. Why not things that the players want? The fighter keeps trying to intimidate those orcs? His armor makes orcs perceive him as more powerful than they are, but goblins see him as a clown. Everything has limits.

Heh, I remember one game I played in where one guy kept buying "Masterwork Tools" for skills that didn't make any sense, such as diplomacy. He argued that he could wear a certain cologne for different situations. Or some other thematically appropriate clothing. The problem was that he had no clue what WAS appropriate. It was quite funny in some situations honestly, in and out of game.