PDA

View Full Version : Caster in a Bag

sir_argo
2017-02-12, 04:41 PM
So one of the characters in our party got a new item and is talking about unattuning his ring of spell storing. That got me to thinking of doing something kinda weird. I recently got the Simulacrum spell and have been contemplating how to use it, and I came up with an interesting idea.

Simulacrums cannot regain used spell slots, but if they are casters, they can use a ring of spell storing and I could refill it as needed. If I make the simulacrum of a creature that does not need to breath, I could store him in a bag of holding and just pull him out when needed. The basic idea here is to have the sim cast a concentration buff, such as Stoneskin, Fly or Protection from Evil, and then hop back into the bag. I.e., effectively get a concentration-free buff out of the deal.

So... from what could I create a simulacrum that is both a spell caster, and does not need to breath?

JAL_1138
2017-02-12, 04:50 PM
So one of the characters in our party got a new item and is talking about unattuning his ring of spell storing. That got me to thinking of doing something kinda weird. I recently got the Simulacrum spell and have been contemplating how to use it, and I came up with an interesting idea.

Simulacrums cannot regain used spell slots, but if they are casters, they can use a ring of spell storing and I could refill it as needed. If I make the simulacrum of a creature that does not need to breath, I could store him in a bag of holding and just pull him out when needed. The basic idea here is to have the sim cast a concentration buff, such as Stoneskin, Fly or Protection from Evil, and then hop back into the bag. I.e., effectively get a concentration-free buff out of the deal.

So... from what could I create a simulacrum that is both a spell caster, and does not need to breath?

Air Genasi can hold their breath indefinitely while not incapacitated.

Maxilian
2017-02-12, 04:50 PM
Nowhere is stated that the Simulacrum doesn't need to breath (creatures that don't need to breath are pointed out), either way yes, this would, in theory, work, so you could make it out of a Genasi or something

Videkus
2017-02-12, 04:51 PM
An Air Genasi wizard should be fine.

Unending Breath. You can hold your breath indefinitely while you’re not incapacitated.

Ninja'd

Mith
2017-02-12, 11:07 PM

Before you invest in plan, make sure your DM won't rule that being in the Bag of Holding doesn't put you out of range of a spell you are concentrating on, since you are technically on a different Plane.

JackPhoenix
2017-02-13, 08:52 AM
Before you invest in plan, make sure your DM won't rule that being in the Bag of Holding doesn't put you out of range of a spell you are concentrating on, since you are technically on a different Plane.

Doesn't matter, once the buff is cast, distance from the caster is irrelevant.

Joe the Rat
2017-02-13, 09:10 AM
Or skip the issue and use a snorkel.
When the cleric's player wasn't available, he was hiding in the bag of holding.
A Doc in a Bag.

Dalebert
2017-02-13, 05:25 PM
Warlocks make great simulacrums since their 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells aren't fueled by spell slots. Get an air genasi warlock.