PDA

View Full Version : Good/favorite multiclassing builds?

ChampionWiggles
2017-02-13, 03:59 AM
It's normally pretty easy to tell what melds well with multiclassing by seeing the requirements and main ability score commonalities between classes. I just wanted to see what people's favorites were and just good combos in general. Alternatively, what SOUNDS like a good multiclass combo, but ends up not really working?

I'm playing a Swashbuckler Rogue right now that I plan to multiclass into Pact of Chain Old One Warlock. Since Swashbucklers (and Rogues in general) benefit from high Charisma, multiclassing into a CHA caster class just seems like a smart move. Taking the Disguise Self and Silent Image invocations seem like they'd make him much more effective at being a Rogue. Give him Pact of the Chain for a familiar that can scout and maybe even take Voice of the Chain Master for info gathering half a world away. All this combined with short range telepathic communication all just seem to fit very well with the Rogue flavor.

Another character I'm playing in a different campaign is a DEX Battle Master Fighter with Barbarian splash. The guy has hella survivability with resistance to most damage, AC that increases with either main ability score, proficiency with CON save, advantage on DEX save (With high DEX), and lots of HP. With the bonus ASI that Fighter's get, he can get Shield Master and Resilient (WIS) to be set on the 3 most common saves in the game.

I could go on, but really want to hear from you guys.

Razuchee
2017-02-13, 04:30 AM
I'd say my Favourite multiclass is Sorcadin 14/6. So stronk. And the ability to have the most convoluted Backstory ever, especially when you are Aasimar.

Another great multiclass crunchwise, is Swashbuckler 9 Fighter 11, my favourite Pirate.

A friend of mine once played a Monk/Rogue/Arcane Archer Aarakokra, little tricky, but damn, the fun he provided.

At the moment I'm playing with the thought of a trickery Cleric/ Rogue thief Kenku, The Magpie incarnate. While I think it not too weak mechanically, I think having to steal everything, together with the Mimikry trait allows great roleplaying.

Quoxis
2017-02-13, 04:42 AM
A current favorite i'd be dying for to play is the barblock - warlock barbarian multiclass.
"But barbarian can't do magic!" some will say, shortly before getting crushed by my pact maul with rage bonus damage and charisma modifier added to it, that is.
The main strategy is taking many levels of warlock and approximately 5 of barbarian (depending on whether you want extra attack as a feature or an invocation), casting armor of agathys (which doesn't require concentration) before entering rage, ideally as a bear totem warrior.
You now have temporary hp, each melee attack against you deals damage to the attacker, and your armor (eg. the temp hp) are warded by your damage resistence, effectively doubling the time it will last before breaking - and before you'll actually take damage.
This is one of the few actually martial attemps of a bladelock (most of the other builds i've seen still focus on EB.

Another cool build i rarely see is the cleric monk. It even fits thematically, and being the "fist of god" is beyond awesome.
There's plenty you could do with it even if it's only dipped, for example bless yourself and the party (monks generally don't use concentration anyway), add wis to your defense if unarmored, have Wis-based ranged attacks (sacred flame for everyone, wizard cantrips for arcana cleric) or as a nature cleric the infamous shillellagh - which happens to work with two of the monk weapons - and tons of utility. Virtually any domain can be paired with a fitting monk tradition (some seem to not pair well, like long death monk and life cleric, but hey, fluff it out - essentially long death monks make their own life longer, and deities of both life and death aren't uncommon in all kinds of cultures). In theory one could be an armored monk (some, like tempest, war, life, nature, even with heavy armor), which blocks most but not remotely all of the monk's features (i think stunning strike should still work, for example).

djreynolds
2017-02-13, 05:46 AM
I'd say my Favourite multiclass is Sorcadin 14/6. So stronk. And the ability to have the most convoluted Backstory ever, especially when you are Aasimar.

Another great multiclass crunchwise, is Swashbuckler 9 Fighter 11, my favourite Pirate.

A friend of mine once played a Monk/Rogue/Arcane Archer Aarakokra, little tricky, but damn, the fun he provided.

I like all 3, good stuff

Quoxis
2017-02-13, 06:02 AM

I'm away from book currently, would you elaborate the purpose of the number of levels you took there?

Citan
2017-02-13, 06:12 AM
My favorite multiclasses (for those actually playable from level 1 onwards ^^) would probably be...

Fiend Tome Warlock 3 / Lore Bard X
Grab all those nice 1st/2nd level rituals, blast things with Repelling Blast or soft control with Thorn Whips / Shocking Grasp / Booming Blade (depending on DEX), use short rest slots on Conjure Animals / Slow / Haste / Fireball / Bestow Curse / Aura of Vitality. You lose the chance to get Wish/Meteor/Time Stop though (18th level Magic Secrets), so it's a tough choice.

(Life Cleric 1) / Grassland Druid 5 / Monk 14-15 (any really)
Hasting yourself can be nasty and you get all usual benefits from Druid (including Shillelagh if you want to max WIS first). I particularly like the idea of an Open Hand sent on a capture mission in an old castle that would cast Conjure Animals (swarm of rats), wild shape as a rat, and then run into the middle of the swarm to run around until he finds his target and stun it. Bonus point if you go Druid 7 to get Polymorph so you can polymorph your target as a rat, use your second WS as a cat, and flee while keeping your prey between your fangs. \o/

Nature Cleric 5 / Open Hand Monk 15
This is one tricky fun bit here. ;) Cast Plant Growth, Cast Spirit Guardians, then go Shove prone enemies and stay near them. They are DEFINITELY STUCK because, their speed is halved when they enter Spirit Guardians area, and Plant Growth requires 4 feet of speed for 1 feet of move. You can also just use Thorn Whips to draw them inside, or use an upcast Command ("approach" or "fall"). So you and pals can gang up on them without worries... ^^ Works equally well or better with a more balanced split if you really want to use this as your main trick (or, if you have high CHA enough, directly eat at Monk to go Fey/Goo Tome Warlock 5: short-rest slots dedicated to that, great bunch of rituals, utility cantrips and at-will invocations (Jump and False Life could be nice for a Monk).

Paladin / Sorcerer
Obviously ^^ my personal would be Crown Paladin 6 / Shadow Sorcerer 14 (if allowed, otherwise Wild Magic): you are the ONE who COMMANDS other through spell and CD, and you are a beast debuffer. In addition to being extremely resilient.

Ancients Paladin 7 / Lore Bard X (Rogue 2, Life Cleric 1 or Nature Cleric 2 optional)
You are THE PROTECTOR: Inspiring Leader and/or Shield Master are granted, as well as Protection fighting style. You buff as necessary while protecting friends (reaction) and shoving enemies (Shield Master), occasionally unleashing a powerful smite.

Arcane Trickster 9 / Draconic Sorcerer 10 / Undying Light Warlock 1
the nastiest of all: when you have the chance, stealth and ambush people with a Careful or Extended mass debuff. If you are into the thick of it, apply strong Fire damage with Green Flame Blade. If you are fine with having lesser spellcasting and only two metamagic, you can trade 2-3 Sorcerer for 2-3 Vengeance/Devotion Paladin for smiting, spells and maybe Oath (I'd keep it at 2 though).

Bladesinger Wizard 5 / Eldricht Knight 15 with Mobile feat, possibly Warcaster or Defensive Duelist
Self-Hasted dual-wielder dealing nasty damage with weapons, occasionally dropping an AOE or debuff. Versatile, resilient, powerful.

Those are the ones popping in my head for now, but there are so many I really like... ^^

Sans.
2017-02-13, 06:28 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409694-The-Coffee-Drow-A-Sleepless-Sorclock

Specter
2017-02-13, 06:37 AM
My favorite one right now has got to be Palabard. Besides all the goodies you get from stuff like Bardic Inspiration and the usual bard spells, it lets a paladin be much more resoursable with up to 5 bonus proficiencies in skills and tools. Expertise also means you go from good to best in the STR/CHA skills.

JellyPooga
2017-02-13, 06:41 AM
Wolf Totem Barbarian/Thief Rogue has to be my favourite multiclass; it's not particularly optimal in the long term, but it's just so much fun. Between Rage, Reckless Attack, Wolf Totem, Sneak Attack, Cunning Action and Thieves Hands, you contribute in practically every way in combat, from single target and multi-attack damage and tanking, to terrain manipulation, party assists and control (grapple, shove, etc.). Optionally, you can even grab the Healer feat and be the party combat medic too. All without relying on a single spell. Get a buddy to cast some buffs on you and you really start going to town!

djreynolds
2017-02-13, 07:23 AM
I'm away from book currently, would you elaborate the purpose of the number of levels you took there?

You get that charm ability at 9th for swashbuckler, and the 3rd attack from fighter.... I would go 12 rogue/ 8 fighter (7ASI) or maybe 13 rogue/7 fighter

Asmotherion
2017-02-13, 09:08 AM
Well, my no1 Favorite is Sorlock.Dragonic Ancestry, and Old One or Fiend patron. As a fan on Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos I favor Old one, but if you want to focus 100% on combat Fiend is better. Telepathy is still a golden ability by my book. Either Warlock 2/Sorcerer x or Warlock 3/Sorcerer x. Besides the obvious blasting power that puts this build as one of the most powerfull DPT dealers, despite being a blaster (and definitly the biggest DPT blaster build that can work well at targeting multiple opponents, but even better single-target), Cha shared as casting stat and overall mechanics that work perfectly, I just love the lore of those two classes, and I am so happy I can combine them in one character. Let's have a small analysis (that has been done over 100 times on this forum both by myself, and other fans of this build.

Mechanics:
1) First level, you get Sorcerer. This is important to get proficiency in Con saves, in order to be able to keep your Consentration Spell. Hex (gained latter) is about 33% of your DPT, and uses a concentration slot, thus you want to be able to save it when you're hit. It also lasts enough for multiple encounters, aka you'll be saving yourself spell-slots. Finally, lore wise, it makes more sence to be born a Sorcerer than become one latter on.

You start with 4 cantrips, witch is enough to cover 1 Ranged Spell Attack/Save or Suck cantrip (I find Fire Bolt Flavorfull, as A) you need a ranged cantrip till you hit level 2 and gain access to Eldritch Blast and B) It can occasionally be usefull to set things on fire on the battlefield for control. you also get to , Shocking Grasp to get out of melee safely when someone gets too close, and finally a couple utility cantrips, like Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion or Friends. I prefear taking Prestidigitation and Minor Illusion, and mage hand as soon as I get my Warlock level, together with Eldritch Blast.

You start with only 2 spells, and 2 spell slots to cast them. If you want All around options, Shield can save your life, and Magic Missile for any bulky AC monster you can't hit otherwise. Wile it might be tempting, I tend not to take Burning Hands just yet, taking it only at level 4, and swiching it as soon as I get Fireball.

2) First Warlock Level gives access to Eldritch Blast, one more cantrip of choice, Hex, Armor of Agathys (which you can scale nicely as a full caster, and optionally Hellish Rebuke (Nice Reaction Dammage). As I am a fan of Dragon Sorcerer, I couldn't care less for Leather Armor; Dragon Scales Baby...

3) The sweet second level of Warlock, giving you 2 Invocations, one more spell and lots of fun. Here, the first and most importand thing you get is your Agonising Blast. You add your Cha to the Damage of each beam of every eldritch blast you cast, putting you on par with non caster builds in reguards to modifier bonuses. Then, I usually take Repelling Blast too, to make my Sorlock a controler in addition to being a blaster. Remember what I said about setting things on fire with Firebolt? This is were it could come handy, as you can then push enemies in the fire for extra damage... You can also go for nice in-battle role play, throwing a firebolt that passes next to the enemy, and he laughs at you saying "haha, missed me", replying a nice "I never miss" after you thow them in said fire :smallcool: Otherwise Mask of Many Faces (at-will disguise self) can provide you with tons of RP fun, and the abuse of the Friends mechanic to foster friendships with it can even become usefull in-battle if you're creative enough. I'd avoid Misty Visions though; wile it's an amazing spell indeed, it uses your concentration slot (even at-will) and you want that for your Hex.

4) Then, you can opt to get or not get a pact boon. I suggest fist to take a couple Sorcerer levels to gain access to Quicken Spell (and one more metamagic of your choice), and then Pact of the Tome to get 3 cantrips of your choice. My Choices are Shillelagh (for melee prowess), Guidance (amazing cantrip you'd have no access to otherwise) and finally either Sacred Fire (Ignore cover is good + It's save or suck) or Vicious Mockery (Save or Suck + Disadvantage on next turs + the cool factor of being able to hurt someone's ego so much that you actually damage them with words.).

Counterspell is a must, optionally also Dispell Magic. I like to have Fireball as an option, eventhough I rarelly get to use it. Other than Magic Missile and Fireball, I choose not to have other Directly Aggressive spells, as my Damage is covered by my Eldritch Blast+Hex+Agonising Blast+Quicken Spell+(sometimes aplicable)Repelling Blast combo, focusing my spell slots on utility, buff/debuffing and RP. Some spells I always want on me other than those are Disguise Self, Mirror Image, Blink, Telekinesis (for RP reasons mostly) and Wall of Stone (I just love to build things for nobles and get payed for it). For higher level spells, I want Globe of invulnerability, Teleport, Dominate Monster, and finally Wish and Gate. Sometimes I get mobility spells like Longuestrider, Expeditious Retreat or Haste (avoiding it if there is an other caster though; I want my concentration slot for Hex).

Feats are War Caster, Spell Sniper, Ritual Caster and Magic Initiate. Raplace the last two with Polearm Master+Sentinel if I want to make a Mixed Caster that's almost as good in melee as he is in ranged spell attacks. Shillelagh is the most important for this, followed by SCAG cantrips.

Lore+ a bit about me: I love the idea behind Sorlock a lot, as it fits my favorite themes. First of all, I love Dragons. I have a Western Dragon tattoo on my shoulder, wear two dragon lobe piercings, and a dragon head medallion on my neck. I have Dragon rings, dragon print shirts etc etc. I am also a big fan of the Cthulhu Mythos. So, you can imagin my excitment when I figured out that I can combine a Cthulhu-themed Warlock who also has Dragon Blood in his veins and was born a mage.

I imagin the Sorlock as a Sorcerer born with his powers, but with small controll over them. Because of the sinister nature of his powers, that come from within instead of simply manipulating the weave, Wizards were unable to teach him how to control his powers, which turned him in search of a stronger Master... Thus, the bond he shared with his old one patron is not that of a master and slave, but rather a teacher and his student. The class being something more than just magic lessons, and more of ways to control this raw magical energy, and ultimatelly become a higher being. As his patron gives him the knowledge he needs (represented in his 3 Warlock levels), he finally graduates, and gains a gift from his patron; this gift represents the bond they share, and perhaps a dept the Sorcerer must fullfill as payment to the Patron. The Sorcerer, now a Sorlock, then starts new adventures, now knowing how to gain more power.

Finally, the most effective multiclasses I've seen other than this one are:

-Warlock 2/Abjurer Wizard X or Warlock 3/Abjurer Wizard X. Give the Wizard a good source of At-will damage with Eldritch Blast. If the campain does not go to level 20, a pact boon would not hurt terribly either. All the awesomness of being a Wizard + A good damage dealing source for when you're out of spells. Kinda similar to my favorite build above, except they are polar opposits: One Uses most of his spell slots to buff his Eldritch Blasting abilities, the other resolves to Eldritch Blasting only on occasion, or when he is out of spell slots, and he is just glad to be able to. Repelling blast is quite important here, as it can help push an opponent into a persistant AoE you just made, so don't neglect it, rather use it as your go-to strategy. Your Arcane Ward will help you stay alive, so make sure to cast a lot of Abjuration spells to recover your Ward's HP. Wall Spells are your friends; use them. You can also safelly overcast Armor of Agathys with your higher spell slots, as it belongs to the Abjuration school, and you recover your ward HP at the same time as giving you more temp HP.
-Warlock 3/Paladin 2/Sorcerer X or Warlock 3/Paladin 6/Sorcerer X.You know what's bugging me with Paladins? They don't have enough spell slots to use their Divine Smite consistantly. Fix that by being a sorcerer and gain a lot of spell slots, and spell points to refuel them. Add to that the damage from Scag Cantrips and Quicken Spell to that spell. Forget about MADness, as Warlock 3 gives you Shillelagh to attack/damage with your Spellcasting stat (As well as full benefits of the Sorlock Eldritch Blaster described above, except you never get to cast higher level spells and have fewer spell slots/sorcery points to fuel Quicken Spell... which is a fair trade for what you get). Also, remember what I said about Con saves and Hex? Paladin 6 Aura of Protection makes sure you never have to worry about that again... Especially since you also are proficient with Con Saves. Get War caster for extra protection of your hex, and Heavy Armor Master for more general protection, making CON and CHA the only ability scores you need to worry about and raise.
-Moon Druid 2/Bear Totem Barbarian X. At least as long as you get to profit from rage in animal form. Not sure if you do, but at my table we logically assume you do. Rules are a bit fuzzy around Druids, so ultimatelly it's up to your DM.
-Warlock 3/Fighter 11/Paladin 6. Heavy Armor Master for ultimate protection. Warlock gives Hex and Armor of Agathys, Warlock 3 gives Shillelagh, making you less MAD than it seems, as the only ability scores you need to focus on are CHA and CON, and just having enough STR 13 for the multiclass.
-Warlock 5/Rogue 2/Knowlage Cleric 2/Bard X Half Elf. A very good Skill Monkey build. With the right distribution and the skilled feat you can become proficient in all skills, be a damage dealer and an amazing controler as well.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-13, 09:21 AM
Fighter 2 / adjuration wizard 18: plate and shield, shield master feat and warcaster. You are super tanky even with low HP. You have high AC, good refreshing temp HP, advantage on spells and resistance to spell damage, the all mighty action surge.

Sans.
2017-02-13, 09:49 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?459090-Need-help-Multiclassing-Eldritch-Knight-with-Bladesinger

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2017-02-14, 01:26 AM
More love for Monk/Cleric, I am loving the heck out of the one I'm playing now. I just wanted to play a cliche video game healer: no armor, no big swords (and failed to noticed theurgy was an option). But between bonus striking my way past an enemy's AC while avoiding their blows, and being unable to contain my glee when my strength was cursed (or whatever it was), it's been working out amazingly well. I've had to push off my monk levels and haven't decided what type to be, though. I was thinking Open Hand, but this DM seems to have a lethal reputation so Tranquility and Life might not be overkill...

Dudu
2017-02-14, 03:09 AM
Fighter 2 / adjuration wizard 18: plate and shield, shield master feat and warcaster. You are super tanky even with low HP. You have high AC, good refreshing temp HP, advantage on spells and resistance to spell damage, the all mighty action surge.

Playing that right now. The arc knight Wolfgang Octans. Yeah, it's good. This build might be the strongest tank avaible. Like you, I didn't let the low HP fool me. High AC, resistances, some spells like Shield and Absorb Elements, an adamantine plate to diminish the damage from those lucky hits. Whoa, too strong.

I'm lvl 10 right now. But spellmastery certainly goes to Shield and possibly Misty Step (I think 90% of the wizards who get there chose those 2 spells anyway).

The other char I'm playing, and is a blast, is my Warlock2/Bard(Jester)X. Warlock 2 grants 2 renewable spell slots, a buffed up cantrip and one other invocation of your choice (I choose the Silent Image at will and don't regret). Also, some handy power from your patron. I can't even start listing the goodies from the bard side...

BillyBobShorton
2017-02-14, 06:45 AM
Vuman Battlemaster 6 (Sentinel, polearm master, Mobile)/Tempest Cleric 8 (Mage Slayer, ASI str>18).

Don't get near him...

Razuchee
2017-02-14, 07:28 AM

Sure. Fighter 11 gives you the third attack, and swashbuckler 9 gives you a taunt, which is probably the most pirat thing ever. As Archetype for fighter, I mostly go Battlemaster, as it allows to safely trigger snack attack, as well as maneuvers like trip attack (first I slice you, then I kick u in the shinbone).

You get that charm ability at 9th for swashbuckler, and the 3rd attack from fighter.... I would go 12 rogue/ 8 fighter (7ASI) or maybe 13 rogue/7 fighter

I prefer having moer levels in fighter, since it improves your health, you get more maneuvers as Battlemaster, and your superiority dice are bigger. As far as other Martial archetypes go I have never really looked into them in combination with swashbuckler.

Playing that right now. The arc knight Wolfgang Octans. Yeah, it's good. This build might be the strongest tank avaible. Like you, I didn't let the low HP fool me. High AC, resistances, some spells like Shield and Absorb Elements, an adamantine plate to diminish the damage from those lucky hits. Whoa, too strong.

I'm lvl 10 right now. But spellmastery certainly goes to Shield and possibly Misty Step (I think 90% of the wizards who get there chose those 2 spells anyway).

The other char I'm playing, and is a blast, is my Warlock2/Bard(Jester)X. Warlock 2 grants 2 renewable spell slots, a buffed up cantrip and one other invocation of your choice (I choose the Silent Image at will and don't regret). Also, some handy power from your patron. I can't even start listing the goodies from the bard side...

How would you go about levelling such a Character? 1st/2nd Fighter then rest, or only 1st fighter?

MrStabby
2017-02-14, 07:58 AM
I love fighter rogue for a fun martial. Shield mastery for shoving (athletics expertise obviously).

Eldritch Knight + Arcane trickster is fun - shield + shield spell makes you really tough.

I took it to fighter 5 and added rogue 3, which worked well. It was a 1-shot so didn't level it up

Prior to this I had a similar character - Champion Assassin that was a little less fun but probably more powerful. Advantage vs prone enemies + expanded crits made for some nasty rounds. Advantage before enemies that had not hat their action in a combat + half proficiency on initiative was also a nice touch.

I am currently enjoying Knowledge cleric 1, Rogue 1 Ranger (revised) 6. I will level up with +1 rogue then +1 cleric. Great fun - knowledgeable, principled but underhand and with the mechanics to back it up.

Dudu
2017-02-14, 10:25 AM
How would you go about levelling such a Character? 1st/2nd Fighter then rest, or only 1st fighter?
1st level Fighter. Grab heavy armor and proficiency in Con saves. Plus Defensive fighting style. Then Wizard, all the way to lvl 18, grab wish and spell mastery ASAP. Your 20th level is the second level of fighter.

solidork
2017-02-14, 10:39 AM
Wolf Totem Barbarian/Thief Rogue has to be my favourite multiclass; it's not particularly optimal in the long term, but it's just so much fun. Between Rage, Reckless Attack, Wolf Totem, Sneak Attack, Cunning Action and Thieves Hands, you contribute in practically every way in combat, from single target and multi-attack damage and tanking, to terrain manipulation, party assists and control (grapple, shove, etc.). Optionally, you can even grab the Healer feat and be the party combat medic too. All without relying on a single spell. Get a buddy to cast some buffs on you and you really start going to town!

I'm doing this except with the Scout Rogue archetype from UA to shore up our party's complete inability to function in the wilderness.

I love anything that gives me more skill proficiencies and/or expertise.

Ogre Mage
2018-05-19, 04:47 PM
My favorite is --

Divine Soul X/Life Cleric 1. Combines the supercharged healing and great support of the the life cleric and the arcane power of the sorcerer, this is one of the most powerful and versatile support casters I have ever played. Twin spell is a must with this build. Besides the usual twin spell tricks with haste and polymorph, the low level cleric spells healing word, guiding bolt, cure wounds and shield of faith are all powerful choices. For race you can't go wrong with half-elf.

A close relative of this build which I also really like is Wizard X/Knowledge Cleric 1.