PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Path of War - Does "Eye for an Eye" function against Baleful Polymorph?

vosenedich
2017-02-13, 08:32 AM
To expand on the title, here's the current situation we're discussing:

Character A is a Druid
Character B is a Harbinger

Character A casts Baleful Polymorph on Character B, who then fails both of his fails.

Can Character B trigger Eye for an Eye at any point during this exchange? Consider that failing the second save against Baleful Polymorph will remove access to use of the entire Discipline.

Thank you for your contributions.

mistermysterio
2017-02-13, 11:44 AM
Eye for an eye is a counter that specifically takes place if you fail a save... so I'd say that it could DEFINITELY be used after the failed fortitude save. I'd probably argue that it could be used in response to the failed will save as well (it's an immediate action that happens simultaneously with the fail), but I think the will save would be more up to the GM.

Segev
2017-02-13, 12:06 PM
In 3.5, at least, counters were immediate actions, and immediate actions could and did interrupt the thing that triggered them as a general rule.

I don't think PF changed that about immediate actions. If you had, for instance, an immediate-action teleport, you could use it to escape an impending attack.

Assuming Counters are immediate actions in Path of War, I would definitely expect that you could use it as you were falling victim to an effect which would shut down your ability to use it. It wouldn't prevent you from falling victim to said effect (unless the Counter specifically did that), but it would go off before you lost the ability to use it.

upho
2017-02-13, 12:15 PM
Eye for an Eye functions against BP. Counters generally interrupt the triggering action and are resolved before the triggering action is resolved. So in this case, the order of events would be:

1. A casts BP on B
2. B fails Fort save
3. Failed Fort save allows B to use Eye for an Eye, interrupting BP
4. Both A and B are affected by the failed Fort against BP's primary effect (as beast shape III), so both A and B are polymorphed accordingly
5. B attempts Will save against BP's secondary effect, and both A and B are affected if B fails the save
Note that the secondary Will save is a part of the effects of the spell and the effects are therefore also "mirrored" (if the save is failed) by Eye for an Eye. The fact that PB may remove access to Cursed Razor is irrelevant, as the effects of Eye for an Eye have already happened by the time the secondary save of BP takes place.

(In the future, please use the "Simple RAW for Pathfinder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?505656-Simple-RAW-for-Pathfinder-Thread-V-Golarion-Strikes-Back)" sticky thread or the [Pathfinder] Dreamscarred Press FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420178-Pathfinder-Dreamscarred-Press-FAQ) thread for simple rules questions like these.)