PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e feat idea: Monster Hunter WIP (PEACH)

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-02-13, 09:57 AM
I wanted to try and create a feat to feel nice especially when selecting a specific creature to hate on. Hopefully this povides enough teamwork and solo pieces to be appealing. But knowing me and my initial design process, this thing is horribly overloaded.

Goals being to design a feat that:
a) can be taken by the ranger and still feel good
b) can be used by most any class
c) isn't completely useless when not fighting your selected creature types.

Can't remember where the note needs to go to state that the feat can be taken more than once to get more creature types.

Monster Hunter
Prerequisite: Intelligence or Wisdom 13 or higher, or proficiency with the Survival skill.
Select 2 of the following creature types: Aberration, Beast, Celestial, Construct, Dragon, Elemental, Fey, Fiend, Giant, Monstrosity, Ooze, Plant, or Undead.

You may add your proficiency bonus to checks made to identify, track, find, and recall information pertaining to your selected creature types. If you are already proficient with the related skill check, you may add twice your proficiency bonus instead.
You have advantage on checks and saves made to avoid or resist attacks and abilities of creatures from your selected types. You can use your reaction to grant up to 3 allied creatures within 30 feet of you the benefit of this feature until the start of your next turn.
You can use your bonus action to roll a Wisdom (Perception) or Intelligence (Investigation) check against a single creature that you can see within 30 feet of you. If the result exceeds the targets current AC, your attack rolls against that target score a critical hit on a result of 19 or 20 and you add +2 to damage rolls you make against the target until the start of your next turn. If you use the Help action against your target, the creature you helped receives these benefits until the end of their next turn instead.

If anyone has a way to restate bullets to mean the same thing with far less words, please help.

Nimlouth
2017-02-14, 09:09 PM
I feel like 2 different creatures could be too much for a feat, although it feels balanced and the name is "Monster Hunter" not "Favored Enemy".

Now, the damage feature is too OP and overly complex xD.

Let the DC for the check be 10 + the Creature's CR (maybe up to 25 or so) and just grant advantage on all attack rolls or maxed out damage dices if hit. Otherwise it is a really cool feat :)