PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Nudging Unlikely Heroes

JEntropy
2007-07-22, 04:47 PM
I hope this is in the right place.

I'm looking to start a campaign where all my players start off as NPC classes (not aristocrat). My plan is to have them become the ultimate unlikely heroes, eventually graduating into PC classes and (potentially) PrC's.

My plan was to have things start off as them being elected (names drawn out of a hat, whatever) to investigate a missing person in town, then have them stumble into upsetting the plans of an evil mastermind. I'm just not sure how to flesh it out from there.

I was thinking they discover some wondrous item, or something like that, which as low level NPC's, they would have no idea what it is. I think there's some potential there, so long as it isn't equipment (don't want to totally break one character, unless it could be something everyone in the group would share around...)

Anyway, wondering what ideas you guys had, at least for an initial arc. I haven't put much thought into the world overall, except that they're starting in a frontier town.

Gyrich
2007-07-22, 05:17 PM
Are your players 'in on the deal' as it were? Basically, do they know (and agree with) your plan for their characters? I ask because in my experience, if the answer is yes, then all you need to do is provide some reasonably plausible IC motivation and the players will do all the PC nudging for you. If the answer's no, then you're liable to run into the players being contrary and difficult just to be difficult and contrary, with the PCs following suit.

JEntropy
2007-07-22, 05:33 PM
Are your players 'in on the deal' as it were? Basically, do they know (and agree with) your plan for their characters? I ask because in my experience, if the answer is yes, then all you need to do is provide some reasonably plausible IC motivation and the players will do all the PC nudging for you. If the answer's no, then you're liable to run into the players being contrary and difficult just to be difficult and contrary, with the PCs following suit.

I'm struggling a little to answer your question.

Do they know the plan? Well, if by plan you mean them starting off as NPC classes and sort of manifesting into adventurers, then yes, thats not a bomb I would drop on them later on. If you mean specific ideas for the first arc, then no, they don't know the plan.

I don't expect them to make trouble by being contrary and difficult (and if becomes an issue, they won't be invited back, because that's not fun for anyone). My expectations are that they will bite on plot hooks that are laid out for them, based on my experience playing with them.

My question is more along the lines of, how do you take someone starting off as an average, everyday person, and turn them into adventurers -- more along the lines of plot hooks, and fleshing out my rough sketch for the setting.

Here is what I'm thinking so far:

Agranya (town) is a conduit to the outside world, bordered by a great river and the end of a mountain range. It has fertile farmland, natural resources, and an excellent location as basically the gateway to the SE.

Agranya was developed 5-15 years ago, when the king granted the lands to an esteemed adventurer as an honor. It is thus not only on the outskirts of the kingdom, but also the furthest developed area in this estate.

The adventurer was a good and fair man, and coming from humble roots himself, chooses to rule in a more laissez-faire manner. This has drawn a lot of people to move to his estate as it is a promising opportunity to get away from areas that more rigidly enforce the feudal structure. Since there was no population here originally (known of, at least), the current inhabitants are a mix-mash of races and backgrounds.

Local industries include fishing, hunting, agriculture, and possibly mining. The mining operations may already have shut down, due to frequent attacks from another group (kobolds, goblins, or something) or because the mines collapsed.

But that's really just a setting, and still rough sketches. After reading a thread earlier, the thought crossed my mind that there could be a local sect of druids who are struggling with the idea of a civilization on their borders. I'm considering using a man vs. man conflict where the druids came to 'help' (in their eyes) Old Man Soandso, who owns the oldest farm in town, by burning his fields. The druids realize that fields need to lie fallow, and that burning the fields enriches them and increases future yields (though the druid's interest is more in keeping the land from 'dying' by being overfarmed than helping the locals). The townspeople, obviously, see this as a nuisance; potentially, the old man as able to take down one of the druids, and the others fled. As an act of revenge, for his response of unwarranted aggression when they were trying to help, is to kidnap his children. This would be where the PC's come in.

I was thinking, that the PC's would not be exactly militia, but definitely be used to the idea of fending for themselves, which frontier life requires. Whether they are selected or designated randomly, this group would be sent to investigate.

Basically, I just need some ideas for fleshing things out and hooking players into the adventurer, that seem realistic for a townsperson-turned-adventurer.

Hope that clears my situation up.

Triaxx
2007-07-22, 05:58 PM
Two opposing groups should be alternately attacking the town and each other. When they stop attacking one another, and begin to work together to attack the town and kidnap someone important, (healers are good choices, since there's always injured after an attack) the PC's are chosen in a lottery to go after them. Perhaps pick someone not one of the PC's to go, and have the remaining PC slip along after them, to try and help them. Have the NPC get injured, or die, and then they have to replace him, but before they can return to town they discover the mastermind has been behind the co-operation of the two enemy groups. This creates and opportunity to create chaos, and then slip in to rescue the kidnapee's.