PDA

View Full Version : Class-Per-Level Challenge

thewizardguy
2017-02-13, 10:33 AM
Hi! I'm new. Been reading the comic for a while, and frequently lurking on the forums, but only just made an account.

So, I'm currently in a fairly silly 3.5 campaign in which I'm playing some kind of abberation construct with more templates than he has skills. This was allowed in exchange for a simple challenge. I'm never allowed to take a second level in any class. Every time I level up I have to take a different class, at least up until level 10.

Obviously, multiclass xp penalties have been voided.

This is probably going to get me horribly killed, but I wanted to give it a shot. Started as a lvl 1 Warblade, here's my stat list. Got a LA of +2, but really sweet abilities to compensate, and try and get me less horribly killed.

Bob
Large Abberation, lvl 1 Warblade
Str 34 (+12) Dex 18 (+4) Con 30 (+10) Int 16 (+3) Wis 16 (+3) Cha 28 (+9)
AC 25 (10+ dex 4 + natural armour 12 - size penalty -1)
Speed: 40 ft Flight: 80 ft (poor)
Feats: Multi-Attack, Combat Reflexes, Track
Abilities: Improved Grab, Fast Healing 2, permanent Circle of Protection from Evil (works on anything except (Magical) Beast & Fey), some other fancy stuff.
Maneuvers: Steel Wind, Moment of Perfect Clarity, Saphire Nightmare Blade
Stance: Punishing Stance

Claws 2d6+12 damage
Bite d8+12 damage
Horns d8+12 damage
Greatsword 3d6+18 damage

I would appreciate any help and tips. (=

Flickerdart
2017-02-13, 10:50 AM
Obviously, multiclass xp penalties have been voided.

That's not how multiclass penalties work. A character with 1 level in 20 different classes suffers 0% XP penalty, because all of his classes are 1 level within each other. Yeah, there's a reason no one plays with these rules - they are the dumb.

I would not take Warblade yet - since non-initiator levels add 1/2 to your IL you should save Swordsage, Warblade, and Crusader for later in the campaign when you can benefit from that bonus to learn higher-level maneuvers. However, your race seems stupidly overpowered, so there's not much you really need to worry about. You could even go into sorcerer, using Precocious Apprentice to qualify for your choice of prestige classes, and then just take 1 level of prestige class every time you level up to maintain mostly full casting.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-02-13, 11:02 AM
I would not take Warblade yet - since non-initiator levels add 1/2 to your IL you should save Swordsage, Warblade, and Crusader for later in the campaign when you can benefit from that bonus to learn higher-level maneuvers.
While this is definitely sensible, few things do more for your survivability than an early crusader dip. Trading warblade for crusader would be great.

Good classes to take one level of:
Warblade, swordsage, crusader (as you know)
Incarnate, Totemist (pick some good soulmelds)
Warlock, Dragonfire Adept (pick some good invocations - Beguiling Influence is great for a social character)
Binder (pick a nice vestige, and Improved Binding - sensing the theme yet?)
Barbarian (pounce, IUS, favoured enemy, whirling frenzy - loads of ACFs here)
Druid (everything from item use to favoured enemy to rage to wis-to-AC - ACF fiesta)
Cleric (cloistered or otherwise, domains are great, and turn undead can do useful things)
Fighter (loads of ACFs make this a decent pick for melee - I like Exoticist fighter, but maybe you're not a weapon user)
Marshal (improves other stuff you have, based on your charisma)

Casting:
Abjurant Champion (regrettable feat cost, but requires only first-level spells)
Dragonslayer (+1 bab, +1 casting, two annoying feat taxes, but you can get Midnight Dodge to boost your incarnate/totemist dip, and Iron Will costs 3000 gp)
Mindbender (telepathy, +1 casting, requires charm person and CL 5 - Practiced Spellcaster can provide)
Spellsword (+1 bab, +1 casting, requires second-level spells, no feats to enter)

Starting with a level in sorcerer, you'd be casting as sorc 5 already.