PDA

View Full Version : RPG Rules Study

Mmagsgreen
2017-02-13, 11:23 AM
Hello! My name is Matt Green and I am a PhD student in the Writing and Rhetoric program at George Mason University. I am conducting a study on tabletop roleplaying games; specifically, I’m interested in how play groups approach rules and rule making.

Toward this end, I was hoping some of you might be interested in filling out a seven question survey. If you are, I would like to direct you to this page, which contains the informed consent document with a link to the survey at the bottom. I’ll also be keeping an eye on this thread to chat in case you’re interested in talking about this sort of thing.

We anticipate the survey should take you between five and thirty minutes, depending on how detailed you wish to get.

Here’s the link to the informed consent document: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzPgFMohGCl4VkQ3czZTQlZOTDQ

IRBNet Number: 986127

zeek0
2017-02-15, 05:28 AM
I've sent in a response.I'd be greatly interested in the hypothesis of your project, and the results you end up garnering. Let us know!

ComaVision
2017-02-15, 04:06 PM
I've also sent a response. I'd like to see the final result as well.

Mmagsgreen
2017-02-15, 05:01 PM
Indeed! I fully plan on sharing the results with folks. The first thing out of the gate will be a conference presentation that will be happening in about a month. With a little luck, I'll go on to get it published somewhere (though that might take a bit!)

Zombimode
2017-02-16, 08:31 AM
Also sent in a response.

Some remarks: most of the questions were fairly broad and would require quite some time (and space!) to answer in the fullest. This is especially true when explaining the intent and reasons of house rules.
If those house rules where informed changes, it can be a lengthy affair to explain them. Many houserules and reasons for them only make sense in the context of the original rule set.

I tried to Keep my answers as short as possible and limited my self to very few examples to underline my Points. But in the end, many parts of my answers will only be understandable if you are actually familiar with the D&D 3.5 rule set.

Mmagsgreen
2017-02-16, 09:15 AM
Also sent in a response.

Some remarks: most of the questions were fairly broad and would require quite some time (and space!) to answer in the fullest. This is especially true when explaining the intent and reasons of house rules.
If those house rules where informed changes, it can be a lengthy affair to explain them. Many houserules and reasons for them only make sense in the context of the original rule set.

I tried to Keep my answers as short as possible and limited my self to very few examples to underline my Points. But in the end, many parts of my answers will only be understandable if you are actually familiar with the D&D 3.5 rule set.

Thanks for taking the time! Fortunately, I am quite familiar with 3.5. In cases where I am not familiar with a system in question, I will be reading up to become familiar.

Recherché
2017-02-16, 01:15 PM
Working through the survey slowly and I will say that it's kind of odd for me because I'm in two different groups at the same time currently and they have different approaches to house rules. Since you asked about the "most recent game" you'd get two different sets of results depending on what day of the week I do the survey.

Mmagsgreen
2017-02-16, 01:30 PM
Working through the survey slowly and I will say that it's kind of odd for me because I'm in two different groups at the same time currently and they have different approaches to house rules. Since you asked about the "most recent game" you'd get two different sets of results depending on what day of the week I do the survey.

The hope is that I'll get enough responses to identify some broad trends or common talking points that are widely characteristic of the hobby. In a case where you have to decide between two, I would recommend you go with the one you're most excited about.

EdokTheTwitch
2017-02-16, 11:08 PM
Submitted my response. The system is 3.5, but I tried to keep the descriptions general. I wasn't really sure how much information you would need, hope 2-3 lines per question is enough :)

Mmagsgreen
2017-02-17, 09:33 AM
Submitted my response. The system is 3.5, but I tried to keep the descriptions general. I wasn't really sure how much information you would need, hope 2-3 lines per question is enough :)

Awesome, thanks!

Knaight
2017-02-17, 10:38 AM
Submitted (yesterday). It's going to be one of those systems you're probably going to have to familiarize yourself with too.

Mmagsgreen
2017-11-01, 01:10 PM
So, a bit late (and apologies for that), but here's the presentation I gave at the College Composition and Communication conference this year, with the results of this study:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPgFMohGCl4TDRHZkpwNU1XbzA/view?usp=sharing

Grod_The_Giant
2017-11-02, 01:38 PM
Yeah, sure.

EDIT: Did not see the study was a year old. Sorry!