PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Limited Polymorph options

satamfan
2017-02-13, 12:15 PM
So my DM granted my lvl 7 rogue an extraordinary ability to polymorph three times a day into any Medium Humanoid creature with no duration limits. That said, I can only think of using it to get wings or gills as the humanoid category isn't amazing and the restriction to medium size is quite restrictive. As I understand, Polymorph doesn't grant any supernatural or spell-like abilities, so no breath weapons from turning into a dragonborne. My best idea is aquatic elf for water breathing, Avariel to fly, and just other stuff to get bonuses for disguises.

In short, my question is: what can you really polymorph into that is a medium humanoid that would be worth a damn?

Khedrac
2017-02-13, 12:17 PM
So my DM granted my lvl 7 rogue an extraordinary ability to polymorph three times a day into any Medium Humanoid creature with no duration limits. That said, I can only think of using it to get wings or gills as the humanoid category isn't amazing and the restriction to medium size is quite restrictive. As I understand, Polymorph doesn't grant any supernatural or spell-like abilities, so no breath weapons from turning into a dragonborne. My best idea is aquatic elf for water breathing, Avariel to fly, and just other stuff to get bonuses for disguises.

In short, my question is: what can you really polymorph into that is a medium humanoid that would be worth a damn?

This reads more like alter self that polymorph, at which point the standard alter self ideas kick in.

First up is a troglodyte - 6 natural armor.

Flickerdart
2017-02-13, 12:38 PM
Well, let's see what you actually get with your restrictions:

Healing as though rested for a night
STR, DEX, CON of the new form
Extraordinary special attacks
Everything from alter self

Are there humanoids with cool EX attacks or high physical ability scores? Certainly. Dwarves and duergar have "dwarf traits" as an EX special attack (which you explicitly get). This ability contains basically all the cool stuff they can do. Taking the form of a green hag would give you Mimicry (the ability to emulate the sounds made by any animal) which might come in handy, plus 19 Strength. Troglodyte stench is an EX attack. A medusa's poison is EX as well. Sahuagin get blood frenzy and a rake attack, as well as modest ability score bonuses.

And that's just SRD.

satamfan
2017-02-13, 01:00 PM
I actually found the DM's notes:

This ability functions as a polymorph spell cast on itself at its caster level, except that the user does not regain hit points for changing form and can only assume the form of a medium humanoid. The user can remain in its humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form. The caster level is equal to its hit die.
And I asked about Monstrous Humanoids like harpies and such and he said no. I can still use the Alter Self ideas and the dwarf traits, but green hag is monstrous so it's off the table.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-13, 01:19 PM
Dark Stalker (Fiend Folio) nets you +3d6 sneak attack damage, poison use, and racial skill bonuses to Hide and Move Silently.
The Skulk (same) isn't much at combat but gives you a whopping +15 racial bonus to Hide, and a +8 to Move Silently.
Tren (Serpent Kingdoms) give you a +8 NA bonus, three natural weapons and multiattack, along with a swim speed.
Avarials (Races of Faerun) are fast fliers.
Asabi (Monsters of Faerun) have a burrow speed.

flappeercraft
2017-02-13, 02:17 PM
Ask him if you can instead use Alter self only to keep your own ability scores and change into a Crucian from Sandstorm, they are medium Humanoids and have Natural armor +8