PDA

View Full Version : To Be a Tree

Ruethgar
2017-02-13, 12:40 PM
I saw thing recently and thought I would share for ****s and giggles.

First, Expeditious Retreat(preferably Persisted), then Tree Shape, then Expansion. Result: You are a Huge tree with 30ft speed, effective Dex 1, a sizable armor increase and in all likelihood a massive bonus to Str and some to Con for your size change. Clunky to work with, but its just a handful of low level spells/powers to create the effect of being an ent achievable at a fairly low level.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-13, 12:44 PM
Well, you either need to multiclass into three different casting classes or to buy a spellblade to two different specific friends to pull it off, but the effect sure is nice.

flappeercraft
2017-02-13, 01:23 PM
I saw thing recently and thought I would share for ****s and giggles.

First, Expeditious Retreat(preferably Persisted), then Tree Shape, then Expansion. Result: You are a Huge tree with 30ft speed, effective Dex 1, a sizable armor increase and in all likelihood a massive bonus to Str and some to Con for your size change. Clunky to work with, but its just a handful of low level spells/powers to create the effect of being an ent achievable at a fairly low level.

Even better, get someone to cast Awaken on a tree, cast True Mindswitch with the tree, you are now quite literaly a psionic tree

Inevitability
2017-02-13, 01:58 PM
Well, you either need to multiclass into three different casting classes or to buy a spellblade to two different specific friends to pull it off, but the effect sure is nice.

Wizard 7/Psion 3/Cerebremancer 10 with Extra Spell (Tree Shape) and Expanded Knowledge (Expansion) has more than enough power points for Expansion, all other required magic, and 9th-level spells on top of it.

Ruethgar
2017-02-13, 02:12 PM
Even better, get someone to cast Awaken on a tree, cast True Mindswitch with the tree, you are now quite literaly a psionic tree

Except the cost of that is leagues higher. Redhead can technically get you a Persisted Tree Shape for a feat, however cheesy and stretching the rules. A sorcerer can also get it via their special knowledge clause. Do the Azure Talent/Psycarnum Infusion loop and you can cast Expansion all day, say on an Azurin with Hidden Talent. Then you just need the speed. Technically I guess you could use the Quick trait and do that whole "apply in the most beneficial order" thing. Only 10ft speed, but hey, now you have room to get some lovely Knockback, Knockdown, and War Hulk.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-13, 02:19 PM
Wizard 7/Psion 3/Cerebremancer 10 with Extra Spell (Tree Shape) and Expanded Knowledge (Expansion) has more than enough power points for Expansion, all other required magic, and 9th-level spells on top of it.
You could do that, or you could play the Happy Tree FriendsTM with your Druid and Psychic Warrior buddies and hit people while transformed into trees. Now we only need to figure out a spellblade-powered buff routine that'll allow the three characters to be affected by all the three effects with the lowest amount of gp.
Example: if you handed to everyone a +1 spellblade of all the three spells/powers (Tree Shape, Expeditious Retreat and Expansion) you'd be able to cast each of those three times over the course of 3 rounds while bouncing the effects around the three characters before turning them into trees, but you'd be blowing 20k gp for each spellblade. On the other hand, giving a spellblade keyed to their respective spell/power to each character wouldn't work because as soon as the Druid turns someone into a tree without having the corresponding spell/power already bouncing around the target loses his spellblade as it's absorbed into the tree.

gorfnab
2017-02-14, 04:16 PM
The Langorged Walker prestige class gets the Plant Shape ability. So you could use it to become a Treant or a Tendriculos. I like the Salad Bar Monk or Treant Kung-fu build of: Warforged Monk 2/ Druid 3/ Landforged Walker 5/ Sacred Fist 10.