PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 'Modern' 5e: What should I watch out for?

CrazyCrab
2017-02-13, 01:07 PM
Hi everyone,
I will soon be starting a new modern / apocalyptic 5e DnD game, based in a strange, almost Fallout'esque/Cthulhu Mythos homebrew setting that I've put a lot of thought into after getting slightly tired of the Tolkien games we've been playing for the last couple of years.

I made a doc covering the new weapons and armour, seems solid to be perfectly honest and The DM's Guild seems to quite like it. Working on vehicles as we speak, though the rules do get a bit convoluted there (no other entities have such odd movement behaviors... after all, all creatures can move sideways while facing another way. Cars cannot). I've banned a couple of spells (Fabricate is especially dangerous in a modern setting, as with right proficiencies it means literally endless money, as well as food-making spells which ruin the feel of post-apocalypse) and I've got a bunch of new archetypes brewing. There is a new, haggling based economy, honor and sanity are in full swing and the last minute prologue (as the resident DM was sick) went really well.

That said, I know there must be something I'm missing. There always are some broken combos, some strange feats and class features that become broken when modern items are introduced.
Anything in particular I should watch out for? Any tips on running a modern 5e if you've done it in the past?

Knaight
2017-02-13, 01:13 PM
Putting aside the whole "why are you using D&D for this" question, I wouldn't be too worried. Vehicle rules have a tendency to be somewhere between tricky and just a pain, and the introduction of more modern elements tends to open up explosives, so be careful with how those are handled because they almost certainly will take center stage.