PDA

View Full Version : Pasta-Quest, my out of the abyss campaign

NecroDancer
2017-02-13, 01:40 PM
The party

Human life cleric (pretty chill guy).

Half-elf bard: (name roughly translates to "bard that is a half-elf)

Goliath barbarian (is death and bloodshed incarnate)

Tabaxi: (cat person) warlock (like to con people, has a quasit familiar)

Human crusader: (actually a war cleric but is paranoid about spending spell slots)

Me: (the DM who is slowly going insane)

Session 1

The party starts off prisoners of the dark elves forced to work in an out of the way outpost, the party is tormented by a Drow clad in bloody silver armor named Ilvara who particularly hates the goliath barbarian for his crude jokes.

While on break (becuase he didn't try to join an ill fated break out attempt) the human cleric speaks with an angry guard who wishes to see Ilvara look incompetent (Ilvara is a political rival). The guard tells the cleric that he will leave the prison door open but the party need to escape on their own, the cleric accepts this deal.

The rest of the party is out cleaning the quaggoth (subterranean killer elf-gorillas) cages. The warlock has a constant head ache and is mad that his familiar (a quasit) is acting up. The barbarian refuses to clean the cages so the bard and the cleric need to work twice as hard. At the end of the workshift they are lead back into the prison.

That night the warlock has a terrible nightmare and awakens to hear his quasit shout "the gate is opening!" The cleric checks the prison door and finds it unlocked and lead the party out of prison.

Once the party is out of the prison they see the outpost is partially ablaze and they can hear inhuman shrieking.

(The outpost is 3 huge hollow pillars of stone that hang over a huge crevice, the pillars are connected by bridges made of spider silk)

The party sees that half the silk briges are destroyed and swarms of monsterous creatures seems to be atracking the outpost. The party rushes to the nearest pillar and retrieve weapons and armor from the corpses of 4 dismembered dark elves, their looting attacks the attention of 4 creatures that look like small green balding bipedal dogs and a fight begins (the barbarian buffed by the cleric, crusader, and bard kills them all bare handed). Glancing outside the Warlock sees a small army of nightmare creatures (he identifies them as demons) blinking in and out of existence, he also sees a small group of prisoners jumping off a ledge and into a lake and a small group of dark elves lead by Ilvara fighting their way though a swarm of hideous vulture men (vrocks). When the warlock informs the party of the situations they choose to take their chances with the other prisoners and jump down into the lake as well (the barbarian who doesn't know how to swim decides to climb down while carrying the cleric and crusader).

Session 2

The party meet up with the other prisoners, they are

Topsy: (a suspicious and sneaky deep gnome).

Shushar: (a kuo-toa monk who seeks to spread the word of it's goddess).

Jenkins: (a miserable dark elf who use to work on a train, blatantly stolen from Griffon McElroy's the Adventure Zone).

Stool: (a sentient mushroom with the personality of a mushroom).

The warlock tries to give Topsy a bag of "pink powder" but Topsy re-gifts it to Stool. The barbarian tries to assert his dominance but fails miserably turning the prisoners (and some his own party) hostile to him.

They travel for a few day and discuss possible places to go Topsy and Shushar think that they should go the dark-lake (A huge body of water that connects to the majority of subterranean settlements, the majority of trade happens there), Stool and Jenkins believe that they should head towards Neverlight Grove a city of sentient mushrooms where Stool is from). The party chooses to go to Neverlight Grove but halfway there Shushar gets annoyed again by the barbarian and decides to leave (Topsy follows), Jenkins keeps his distance from the groups as much as possible and seems to have weird rash.

As they continue traveling they get into a fight with 3 grells but the warlock and the bard debuff them and the barbarian turned them into jelly. The cleric's defensive strategy of "hide with the NPCs and hope they don't notice me" worked well and the dice hated the crusader.

Thanks to the crusaders perception they find a hidden alcove where the grells use to reside. Among the corpses they find a potion of fire breath and a single card that reads "the vizier". The party rests for the night using the grell's semi-liquid remains as insulation.

Waking up the party set out for Neverlight Grove but after some particularly poor survival checks they end up at the mouth of a new tunnel system, inside the tunnels they hear yipping noises and smell a mix of blood and sulfer.

In this scenario most people would have ran past it and hide (the NPCs sure did) but our intrepid heroes dove in head first and were immediately chased out by a pack of Gnolls. The party tried a different tactic, send the barbarian in, after half a minute the barbarian emerges drinking the blood of the Gnolls. The group then walks back into the tunnels hoping that the Gnolls killed some rich people whose corpses they could rob (that sounds bad now that I type it down), the warlock send his increasingly feral quasit ahead to scout and the quasit promptly gets it's head ripped off by a 10 ft tall flaming Gnoll chief with warlock/barbarian levels.

Sensing danger the party decided to "voltron" and climbs onto the barbarian's back (I did the math the barbarian could hold them all while enlarged) as the barbarian charges in grinning like a kid on Christmas. I thought that this boss battle was going to be tough as I had given the Gnoll chief legendary actions and a death burst ability but the party proved me wrong as they proceed to throw every buff/heal onto the barbarian and every debuff onto the Gnoll chief and pounded the Gnoll chief into a fine dust. With one final warning "we will continue to rise, the stongest will be his host, the gate is open" the Gnoll chief dies leaving the party to continue looking for anything of value that they could find, the barbarian punches the wall to stay in a rage.

Warlock: I wonder if we could buy some spikes?

Cleric: Why?

Crusader: to attach to the barbarian.

Bard: where is the barbarian?

Crusader: No idea

Me: roll perception

Bard: I got a 12

Me: you don't see the barbarian but you find a large egg that's mottled purple and grey

Bard: Sweet! (Forgets all about finding the barbarian)

The barbarian (who is still keeping himself in a rage by stabbing himself with a dagger) has wandered out of the tunnels and see's Jenkins and Stool eating what appears to be pasta. The barbarian beats them up and takes their food. In an act of revenge Jenkins destroys his "all you can eat dark elf pasta" coupon, the party is dismayed.

At this moment the egg the bard find begins to hatch and a baby hook horror climbs out, after convincing the barbarian not to kill it the bard has an idea.

Bard: could we train it to hunt sniff out pasta?

Me: assuming you still had some pasta left maybe.

All of Them: F*ck!

The day ends with them getting ready for bed and lecturing the barbarian for eating all the pasta.

Stool and Jenkins pray that something kills the barbarian on the way to Neverlight Grove.