PDA

View Full Version : All spontaneous casters, but with more unique fluff

tedcahill2
2017-02-13, 01:51 PM
I know later editions of D&D tackle this to various extents, but I was to homebrew some unique caster classes. Here are my thoughts so far:

The Wizard: instead of a familiar the wizard would receive a grimoire. This grimoire is where his spells are kept, and will have a certain number of pages available depending on his level (so it won't be 100 pages like a standard spell book). The wizard will still have a more limited number of spells per day, but they can cast any spell that is in their grimoire. Flavor-wise the grimoire is an animated object so the wizards hands are free to cast somatic components as the book floats in front of him and flips to whatever page the spell is on that the wizard wants to cast. I was also thinking the grimoire could actually be the reason that the wizard is limited to certain spells per day by level, in that the grimoire burns out as it's used, and higher level spells burn it out faster. Maybe the wizard could attempt to force it to cast a high level spell, in place of lower level spells of equal value, but with a chance that the grimoire will "punish" the wizard for abusing it. Random magic effects, miss chances, stuff like that. (really want to emphasize that spellbooks importance, and I think the "spellbook as a familiar" type of thing sounds cool)

The Witch: this would be very close to core sorcerer, with an animal familiar just like in core, casts spontaneously, but has access to some nature spells, like the plant domain, and lesser access to evocation spells. The witch is more of a utility type mage. (want to keep at least one close to core for those that like it)

The Warlock: as is, no changes

The Sorcerer: redo sorcerer to be more like the warlock. Would not have a familiar, would have an arcane blast, like eldritch blast, but it deals elemental damage, higher hp, higher bab, and more limited spell selection. (looking to imbue with innate casting ability like the warlock has; would gain other abilities depending on bloodline)

The Cleric: no changes but would cast spontaneously, would be able to cast domain spells more easily/frequently than other spells, could access any spell on the cleric list (not sure of exact numbers, but a cleric might have 3+1 level one spells per day. Instead of that meaning 3 + 1 domain spell it would mean, 3 domain spells and any other non-domain spell)

Druid: would reduce the number of spells per day, but give them access to spontaneously cast any spell on the druid list (so LOTS of spells known, very few per day)

Anyone else have some idea as they read these?

eggynack
2017-02-13, 02:45 PM
Druid: would reduce the number of spells per day, but give them access to spontaneously cast any spell on the druid list (so LOTS of spells known, very few per day)

I'ma just say this is really really really strong, and leave it at that. Especially if the other class features are hanging around. The druid list is big.

Flickerdart
2017-02-13, 03:02 PM
I'ma just say this is really really really strong, and leave it at that. Especially if the other class features are hanging around. The druid list is big.

It would also make book-keeping super annoying.

@OP: Spirit Shaman has a great unique divine spell mechanic - it's a spontaneous caster that prepares new "spells known" every day from the greater druid list.

eggynack
2017-02-13, 03:20 PM
It would also make book-keeping super annoying.
That and also just plain in the moment thinking. Leaving aside the fact that you have to keep track of a massive pile of spells, picking a spell in a combat situation is already pretty hard when you have the druid's "limited" spells prepared to work with. Doing it right with this kind of access would be a huge and constant struggle for just about anyone. You either kill yourself thinking through every combat round, or default to casting boreal wind a lot and feel like you're wasting a lot of potential.

Zaq
2017-02-13, 03:33 PM
Yeah, the Druid seems like an absolute nightmare for the reasons that have already been stated. And, as has already been stated, the Spirit Shaman is a good middle ground.

You might also look at the Erudite's casting (manifesting) mechanic. It's not without its problems, but it's a semi-unique way of doing spontaneous casting. In a nutshell, you can potentially have more powers known than other psionic characters of an equal level normally would, but you have a limit on unique powers per day. Once you use a power on a given day, you can keep using it as long as you have the juice for it, but you can only use a limited number of different powers per day. But unlike the Spirit Shaman, they're chosen on the fly. The class as written has some issues (it's not actually clear just how many unique powers per day the class gives you, and the Spell-to-Power ACF is one of the most potentially broken abilities in the game), but if you're intentionally trying to come up with ways of making spontaneous classes feel different, it's a good starting point.