PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Stone Sorceror/ Hexblade Warlock Multiclass?

Nishant
2017-02-13, 03:05 PM
So, last week we got the archetype Stone Sorceror, and I tried to see how it could be applied to the usual Sorcadin mold. Now, of course, we get the new Warlock archetypes and invocations, granting pseudo-smites on top of the standard pact of the blade features. So, my question is, how would you bring these together to match with the standard sorcadin set up?

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-13, 03:16 PM
So, my question is, how would you bring these together to match with the standard sorcadin set up?

The same way that you would for any other Sorcadin, except in this case you're taking Warlock levels instead of Paladin levels.

....maybe I'm not understanding your question?

Nishant
2017-02-13, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking about the level distribution and invocations, I suppose. For example, I'll need at least 3 levels of warlock to gain the smite ability, but invocations may be advantageous, even at the cost of higher level spells. Plus, there's still the issue of lower hit die.

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-13, 04:21 PM
I'm thinking about the level distribution and invocations, I suppose. For example, I'll need at least 3 levels of warlock to gain the smite ability, but invocations may be advantageous, even at the cost of higher level spells. Plus, there's still the issue of lower hit die.

The lower hit die is basically irrelevant. At Warlock5/Sorcerer15, you'd have approximately 8 less HP than a Paladin6/Sorcerer14. 8 less HP at level 20 is nothing to worry yourself over. As for level distribution, I'd stop at either Warlock 3 for more Sorcerer goodies, or Warlock 5 for Extra Attack via your third Invocation and 3rd level short rest slots, depending on what you were looking for out of the character.

Sception
2017-02-13, 04:28 PM

Be aware that the hexblade's smiting invocation is not compatible with their ability to make melee attacks with cha instead of strength to hit and damage. Not an insurmountable problem, but it is going to mean a lower charisma, especially if you intend to use the stone sorcerers con to AC option, which then impacts your ability to add charisma to damage via green flame blade and significantly hampers the offensive potential of your sorcerer spells.

Honestly, you might be better off giving up on smiting altogether, or dipping 2 levels of paladin.

tieren
2017-02-13, 04:34 PM
I'd say go 6/6 first, you can then decide if you want to build to stone's edge or ultimate pact weapon, but I've never had a character make it all the way to 20 so could be moot before then.