PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] PEACH my Fighter (Horizon Tripper) Build

lylsyly
2017-02-13, 04:06 PM
I am building 5 characters for an upcoming game and I am looking for help with Practical Optimization.

One thread at a time of course! ;)

Books allowed are anything 1st party 3.5 and un-superseded 3.0 (including setting specific) and Dragon Mag and WEB. !!!NO PSIONICS!!!

Fighter (using the Horizon Tripper Build), Sorcerer (The Mailman Build/Face #1), Cleric (Buffer/Healer), Rogue (Ranged Combat/Trapfinder/Skillmonkey), Dragonfire Adept (BFC/face #2)

Second the Fighter: Expected Role: Main Melee (Tripper) with Glaive and Spiked Gauntlet

Ready for some small Cheese?
We are allowed to buyoff up to +2 LA and I am always looking for Races/Templates to focus on what I want to do.

Half Orc + 2 STR, -2 INT, -2 CHA
Half Minotaur Template +4 STR, +2 CON, -2 INT, +2 WIS
Size Increase +8 STR, -2 DEX, +4 CON
Draconic Template +2 STR, +2 CON, +2 CHA

With the point buy I ended up with the following ability scores (mods are the total from both Race and Template and in this case Size Increase): Reads like this (mod)+pb = score(bonus)

STR (+16)+14 = 30(+10)
DEX (-2)+15 = 13(+1)
CON (+8)+13 = 21(+5)
INT (-4)+17 = 13(+1)
WIS (+2)+8 = 10
CHA (0)+8 = 8(-1)

The build I have come up with so far (mostly taken from the Horizon Tripper Thread (here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?80415-The-Horizon-Tripper-(Core-Melee-Build)&highlight=horizon+tripper)) is Ranger 1 (for skills)/Wolf Barbarian 2(added 1 level for the extra HP and Improved Trip for Free)/Fighter 2 (for feats)/Ranger 2 and 3/Horizon Walker 10/??? For 4 more

Also, I am not taking out the Horizon Walker Levels (although I may cut back a level or 2). I specifically want them for the defensive bonuses as much as the admittedly minor attack bonuses.

I only went to Level 7 with the feats, after this I will be looking at all books for good stuff like knockback and shock trooper.
1st: Combat Expertise
Ranger Bonus: Track
2nd: Rage, Fast Movement, Pounce (Lion Spirit Totem)
3rd: Power Attack
Wolf Bonus: Improved Trip
4th: F1B: Combat Reflexes
5th: F2B: Extra Rage
6th: Diehard, Combat Style: Archery (might as well)
7th: Ranger Bonus: Endurance

Its mostly Core
UA p 49 – Wolf Totem barbarian
RoTD p 74 – Draconic Template
DrMag 313 p 94 – Half Minotaur Template

Okay, there it is. PEACH me.
1st question: What would you take for the last levels?
2nd question: Switching out Rage for Whirling Frenzy worth it?
Fire away ;)

noce
2017-02-13, 04:22 PM
I don't thibk you should stack half-minotaur template with the size increase stats listed on "improving monsters" SRD.

They are a guideline about how a DM could improve monsters, it's not meant to be added every time you increase in size for whatever reason.

So what, do you add +8 strength when you cast Enlarge Person?

LordOfCain
2017-02-13, 04:30 PM
I don't thibk you should stack half-minotaur template with the size increase stats listed on "improving monsters" SRD.

They are a guideline about how a DM could improve monsters, it's not meant to be added every time you increase in size for whatever reason.

So what, do you add +8 strength when you cast Enlarge Person?

Half-minotaur explicitly states you do so unlike enlarge person which IIRC says you do not or merely doesnt.

lylsyly
2017-02-13, 06:46 PM
Are you ready for some small cheese?

I warned you ;)

“Size and Type: The base creature’s type does not change. If the base creature is of Small or Medium size, it gains one size category, becoming Medium or Large respectively. See table 4-2: Changes to Statistics by Size in the Monster Manual for changes to the base creature when it gains a size category. The changes in this template are in addition to the changes outlined there.”

I kind of knew that would be the first thing that came up.

Thing is, my group doesn't really optimize (except for me and I don't go too far) and I am doing these 5 characters especially to show what you can do with a bit of racial shenanigans (since the group rules are that we can do buy off for LA 1 or 2. Notice that the rest of the build really is plain vanilla.

emeraldstreak
2017-02-13, 08:50 PM
Second the Fighter: Expected Role: Main Melee (Tripper) with Glaive and Spiked Gauntlet

Not the best choice considering your allowed sources.

Though, the question is how much you want it optimized? And for what - the role only, or role+survival, or just an aspect of the role?

noce
2017-02-14, 05:50 AM
I kind of knew that would be the first thing that came up.

Oh, I didn't know the template was from Dragon Magazine, now I understand why it's so obscenely overpowered.

lylsyly
2017-02-14, 07:55 AM
Not the best choice considering your allowed sources.Though, the question is how much you want it optimized? And for what - the role only, or role+survival, or just an aspect of the role?

Thing is, my group doesn't really optimize (except for me and I don't go too far) and I am doing these 5 characters especially to show what you can do with a bit of racial shenanigans (since the group rules are that we can do buy off for LA 1 or 2. Notice that the rest of the build really is plain vanilla.

The reason I picked the Horizon Tripper build was that it is fairly effective from level 1 and a bit more survivable in the mid levels, of course any martial is toast at high levels so ... The one time I played (didn't dip it, played it) a Warblade I almost had to duck a DMG ;)

Oh, I didn't know the template was from Dragon Magazine, now I understand why it's so obscenely overpowered.

Oh, I don't know about obscenely, obscenely is the Druid, Wizard ... and yeah, I actually kinda agree, but it's allowed, just like nightsticks, time stop, ect.

emeraldstreak
2017-02-14, 06:44 PM
The reason I picked the Horizon Tripper build was that it is fairly effective from level 1 and a bit more survivable in the mid levels, of course any martial is toast at high levels so ... The one time I played (didn't dip it, played it) a Warblade I almost had to duck a DMG ;)

I didn't mean the Horizon Tripper, I meant exactly what I said - your particular weapons.

But if your DM is the type that thinks ToB = OP, but wizards = fine; yeah, we have a problem.

lylsyly
2017-02-15, 08:29 AM

Not the best choice considering your allowed sources.

Though, the question is how much you want it optimized? And for what - the role only, or role+survival, or just an aspect of the role?

This is why I thought you were talking about the build.

I didn't mean the Horizon Tripper, I meant exactly what I said - your particular weapons.

But if your DM is the type that thinks ToB = OP, but wizards = fine; yeah, we have a problem.

I'm not particularly married to the weapons. What did you have in mind?