PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Master of elements PrC?

Blu
2017-02-13, 05:54 PM
So i was wondering. Is there a PrC (or good homebrew) that focus only on elemental spells ? Is it good?
Or a PrC that at least focus on one element?

carrdrivesyou
2017-02-13, 06:00 PM
For PrC: I'd suggest elemental savant (from CArc methinks).

For base class, there is always the Shugenja from CDiv.

Both are awful in my opinion however.

Technetium43
2017-02-13, 06:00 PM
There's Elemental Savant, which focuses on one element, but it kinda sucks. For PrCs that focus on one element in general, there's the x-kineticists which are psionic, and things like Frost Mage, Winterhaunt of Iborighu, and other things that focus on an element, but not in a 'pure' way.

Buddy76
2017-02-13, 06:18 PM
There is the Elemental Archon prc from Faiths & Pantheons as well but, alas, it's also not very good on account of costing you 3 caster levels if you take all 10 levels. I do enjoy the the trio of mephits if gives you, though. It 's like having comedy relief sidekicks as a class feature.

MesiDoomstalker
2017-02-13, 06:22 PM
There's Stormcaster, which straight buffs [Air, Water, Electricity] spells at the entry level (but you lose a Caster Level). Advancing gives you more buffs to [Electricity] spells. The 5th level ability (ECL 10) adds a Fort v. Stun on anything that takes Electricity damage from one of your spells. Combo with Energy Substitution (Electricity) and Born of Three Thunders, you can force a lot of Fort v. Stun saves every round (many [Electricity] spells have Fort v. Stun spells innately).

Blu
2017-02-13, 08:52 PM
There's Stormcaster, which straight buffs [Air, Water, Electricity] spells at the entry level (but you lose a Caster Level). Advancing gives you more buffs to [Electricity] spells. The 5th level ability (ECL 10) adds a Fort v. Stun on anything that takes Electricity damage from one of your spells. Combo with Energy Substitution (Electricity) and Born of Three Thunders, you can force a lot of Fort v. Stun saves every round (many [Electricity] spells have Fort v. Stun spells innately).

Sounds like a interesting PrC... Altough i'm in doubt between wizard or druid entry.

MesiDoomstalker
2017-02-13, 09:11 PM
Sounds like a interesting PrC... Altough i'm in doubt between wizard or druid entry.

Wizard's get far better spell's to manipulate with Energy Substitution (Electricity). Also, you don't miss out on anything from the base class.

Blu
2017-02-13, 09:33 PM
Wizard's get far better spell's to manipulate with Energy Substitution (Electricity). Also, you don't miss out on anything from the base class.

Besides the loss of one caster level(can try to talk to the DM about it) the class sounds good, thematically and mechanically.

animewatcha
2017-02-13, 10:09 PM
If you are willing to hold off elemental shenanigans switch-a-roo until late game or so. Archmage as an ability allows switching of elements on the fly. Master of Elements. Costs 8th level slot. And skill focus Spellcraft and spell focus for two schools of magic.

ShurikVch
2017-02-14, 08:26 AM
Besides everything already mentioned:

Air
Windwalker (Faiths and Pantheons) - add spells from Air domain to your divine spell list; from the 3rd level - air walk at will
Master of the East Wind (Dragon #314) - gain Air domain and add spells from Air domain to your arcane spell list

Cold
Icesinger (Dragon #314) - Bard-based PrC; "at 2nd level and at every other icesinger level there after", can pick extra [cold] spells known (if spell is of different levels in different lists - pick lowest), and you can pick spells which level you aren't capable to cast yet (but still no higher than 6th, because Bard); from the 8th level, you can spontaneously substitute energy damage of a spell to cold; at 10th level get cold immunity

Earth
Earthshaker (Dragon #314) - gets Earth domain, and Earthquake (sp) 1 or 2/day

Fire
Aeromancer (Dragon #308) - if you use Create Magical Storm class feature to make Fire Storm, then all [fire] spell will be Empowered (or, if already Empowered - Maximized)
(Seriously, Aeromancer is one metamagical hax PrC. How exactly it doesn't appears more often on TO/PO threads?)
Also, not a PrC, but still: if you bind Astaroth (Dragon #357), then half of fire damage from your spells(/SlAs/magic items) will be vile

Sonic
Thrall of Dagon (Dragon #349) - limited times per day (up to 5) can make [sonic] spells to cause additional Wisdom damage; from 4th level - +1 DC on language-dependent spells

Water
Wavekeeper (Stormwrack) - gain Blackwater, Ocean, Storm, or Water domain and add spells from that domain to your divine spell list
Darkwater Knight (Dragon #314) - from 6th level, if prepared spells while immersed in water, gain bonus spell for each level you able to cast; at 10th level - +1 DC to [water] spells

There's Elemental Savant, which focuses on one element, but it kinda sucks.Note: Elemental Savant was a bit better in 3.0, because:
3.5 Energy Focus is +2 at 10th level; 3.0 Elemental Focus was +3 - at 8th level
it doesn't locked your spells in a single type of elemental damage
it lose only 1 CL - rather than 2 (and even that 1 is at 10th level, so you could to just don't take it)

Also:
Is there a Master of elements PrC?Elemental Master PrC - [epic] option for true Dragon

Inevitability
2017-02-14, 11:07 AM
For PrC: I'd suggest elemental savant (from CArc methinks).

For base class, there is always the Shugenja from CDiv.

Both are awful in my opinion however.

The Shugenja is hardly awful. Sure, it lacks the splatbook support of a wizard or cleric, but it's still a solid high tier 3/low tier 2 caster.

Blu
2017-02-14, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the sugestions guys... but really, it sounds way more easy and probably more powerfull to simply go with a wizard/sorcerer with energy sub. My idea was a class the had the focus on elemental magic.
I liked the frost mage tho.

ShurikVch
2017-02-14, 12:43 PM
Also, Dragon #330 have Spheres for Sorcerers optional rule
With it, Sorcerers will get +1 CL at "their Sphere", but -2 CL at "opposite Sphere"
It also means earlier-than-usual access to spell from "their Sphere", and later-than-usual - for "opposite Sphere"
Spheres are:

Sphere
Opposite Sphere

Acid – spells with the [acid] subtype
Electricity – spells with the [electricity] subtype

Air – spells with the [air] subtype
Earth – spells with the [earth] subtype

Fire – spells with the [fire] subtype
Cold – spells with the [cold] subtype

Shadow – spells with the (shadow) subschool
Light – spells with the [light] subtype

Summoning – spells with the (summoning) subschool
Creation – spells with the (creation) subschool

Ruethgar
2017-02-14, 01:01 PM
As far as homebrew I always liked the Elemental Adept. Severely lacking in power but gets you some nice thematic blasting with just a few levels that doesn't suffer too much from single energy dependence.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?311076-The-Elemental-Adept-(D-amp-D-3-5-Base-Class)

Also a Sphere Caster, if allowed to be ported back to 3.5, can easily specialize in an element, my favorite being lightning with the weather sphere.

ShurikVch
2017-02-14, 01:10 PM
Also, the Kineticist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030328b)

carrdrivesyou
2017-02-14, 06:23 PM
The Shugenja is hardly awful. Sure, it lacks the splatbook support of a wizard or cleric, but it's still a solid high tier 3/low tier 2 caster.

Not awful except for the lack of class features? When in the nine He11s are you going to need "Sense Elements?" His casting list is varied, and isn't in itself, terrible. But I could do much better with just about any other casting class. Most bards would put him to shame.

Blu
2017-02-14, 06:43 PM
As far as homebrew I always liked the Elemental Adept. Severely lacking in power but gets you some nice thematic blasting with just a few levels that doesn't suffer too much from single energy dependence.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?311076-The-Elemental-Adept-(D-amp-D-3-5-Base-Class)

Also a Sphere Caster, if allowed to be ported back to 3.5, can easily specialize in an element, my favorite being lightning with the weather sphere.

It has a warlock feel to it, I liked it. And also seems good. Thanks!

weckar
2017-02-15, 02:36 AM
Not awful except for the lack of class features? When in the nine He11s are you going to need "Sense Elements?" His casting list is varied, and isn't in itself, terrible. But I could do much better with just about any other casting class. Most bards would put him to shame.
Sense Elements is a GREAT ability if you use it creatively. Learning the elemental make-up of specific people and objects is key. You basically get an at-will 'detect plot device'.

Inevitability
2017-02-15, 02:52 AM

You don't need class features if you have 9th-level spells. Also, the fact that bards are better (which is arguable unless Sublime Chord comes in play) doesn't mean a class deserves to be called 'awful'.