PDA

View Full Version : E6 Throwing build ideas?

Blackhawk748
2017-02-13, 07:16 PM
While at work i was brainstorming various builds, and one i thought was fun would be a Throwing build based off of Irish Skirmishers. So Light armor, shield, and Javelin for the most part. Now i know that Ranged in general is best when paired with precision damage, so i was thinking Scout into Master Thrower. Then i looked at Master Thrower and saw its +5 BaB and that the Scout doesnt have Shield Prf. So that sucks.

Now id still be fine with a scout but im curious what else is out there, as i have very little experience with throwing weapon builds.

lylsyly
2017-02-13, 07:33 PM
so consider taking a level of fighter second, get the shield prof and an extra feat keep a level at scout so as not to lose out on skill points.

just my 2 coppers,
YMMV

Gusmo
2017-02-13, 07:49 PM
A few levels of bloodstorm blade from Tome of Battle can be pretty good, because it lets you use all those tasty melee feats with thrown weapons.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-02-13, 09:21 PM
Just so everyone knows, the E6 flair means everything is capped at level 6.

You can get Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC) in an E6 game, so with that in mind, I'm going to say Fighter 6 will be your strongest option at 6th level. The Fighter capstone lets you get Ranged Weapon Mastery, Greater Weapon Focus, and Improved Critical, and a +6 BAB allows you to get Improved TWF. Combined with Rapid Shot you'll get five attacks per round, each for 1d6+6+Str (1/2 Str for two offhand throws) within 30 ft., for a total of 5d6+30+(4xStr) if all five hit. That's without relying on precision damage like sneak attack or skirmish, so it's going to be effective against everything, plus the javelins are force effects.

Blackhawk748
2017-02-13, 09:56 PM
Just so everyone knows, the E6 flair means everything is capped at level 6.

You can get Gloves of Endless Javelins (MIC) in an E6 game, so with that in mind, I'm going to say Fighter 6 will be your strongest option at 6th level. The Fighter capstone lets you get Ranged Weapon Mastery, Greater Weapon Focus, and Improved Critical, and a +6 BAB allows you to get Improved TWF. Combined with Rapid Shot you'll get five attacks per round, each for 1d6+6+Str (1/2 Str for two offhand throws) within 30 ft., for a total of 5d6+30+(4xStr) if all five hit. That's without relying on precision damage like sneak attack or skirmish, so it's going to be effective against everything, plus the javelins are force effects.

Not often that you hear that Fighter is the strongest option, but i definitely see it. Go Targeteer Fighter to grab Vital Aim for Dex SAD, Arrow Flurry for even more attacks (im actually doing something similar with a Kensai Fighter) and that wonderful Hide and Move Silently for skills. Ya that looks like it should work.

Darrin
2017-02-14, 09:01 AM
I'm going to say Fighter 6 will be your strongest option at 6th level.

I think I prefer Ranger 2/Fighter 4. Same number of feats, better skills, better Ref save, better ACFs, and wand usage.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-14, 01:44 PM
Scout 4/(Mystic) Ranger 2 with Swift Hunter? Nets you 5 BAB, 2d6 Skirmish, easy access to both Rapid Shot and TWF, and you can grab Improved Skirmish with your next feat. Scout 5/Cleric 1 for Travel Devotion is nice if you're using fractional BAB, but kind of harsh if you're not.

The Fighter capstone lets you get Ranged Weapon Mastery, Greater Weapon Focus, and Improved Critical
Um? Those require BAB/level 8.

Flickerdart
2017-02-14, 01:50 PM
Scout 4/(Mystic) Ranger 2 with Swift Hunter? Nets you 5 BAB, 2d6 Skirmish, easy access to both Rapid Shot and TWF, and you can grab Improved Skirmish with your next feat. Scout 5/Cleric 1 for Travel Devotion is nice if you're using fractional BAB, but kind of harsh if you're not.

Ranger 2 doesn't seem worth it if you're not Mystic. Barbarian is better - Whirling Frenzy gives you an extra attack to throw with, and you can trade out the fast movement for one of the spirit totems.

Tormtor School is good, giving you some flexibility when fighting in melee, but you need +6 BAB. Hurling Charge combos pretty well with Scout and Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian...but you need +6 BAB.

Blackhawk748
2017-02-14, 05:46 PM
Um? Those require BAB/level 8.

The Fighter's Capstone feat in E6 lets them count their Fighter level and BaB as 8 for feat pre reqs.

Zaq
2017-02-14, 07:07 PM
Can you wangle the feats necessary for Master Thrower and for general thrown-weapon use without actually getting too many bonus feats from your class? Sneak Attack Fighter is a way of getting precision damage on a full BAB chassis, and it's probably the easiest method. It can even be combined with Hit-and-Run Fighter from DotU, but I believe that by strict RAW you cannot add Thug at the same time, since Thug and Hit-and-Run both gobble up your heavy armor proficiency.

Thrown weapons do take a lot of feats to use properly, but depending on what level you start at (and/or how fast you progress), E6 is certainly a ruleset where feats aren't an issue in the long run. A human can handle getting the raw prereqs for Master Thrower, at least, but you wouldn't be able to do much else unless you had flaws.