PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building an Typical Inquisitor [Pathfinder + Dreamscarred Press]

Lappy9001
2017-02-13, 10:23 PM
I'm going to be playing in Curse of the Crimson Throne very soon (starting at level 1), with an interesting party composition: Soulknife (ranged archetype, not sure what), Oracle (Spirit Guide), and Dread (Swarm Master).

I've always wanted to play an inquisitor and this seems like a great campaign for it both from what little I know about the campaign and for a party that could probably benefit from a jack-of-all-trades which I've heard the inquisitor can be.

So what I've got so far is:

Half-orc (wielding a greataxe, Sacred Tattoo)
Inquisitor (Suit Seeker)
For my first feat, considering Heavy Armor Proficiency and picking up Splint armor.
Spells (Divine Favor, Cure Light Wounds)
Traits: Addict (One trait must be a Campaign trait), Fate's Favored

Using 25 point buy I can get at least a 16 in both Strength and Wisdom really easily but I'm worried that I'm only going to be useful in combat twice a day, when I can use Divine Favor and/or my Judgement. I doubt I'll have the money to get a masterwork weapon (we don't know starting gold yet) and my attack bonus is only a +3 right now.

I'm set up for the start of a semi luck-based build and I can even take the human luck feats if I want since I'll be a half-orc. But I want to have more options at first level and then I saw the Channeling Scourge feat that lets me use my Inquisitor levels in place of cleric levels for channel energy. Warpriest is a better fit for the character than Cleric, both from a fluff perspective and mechanically since I don't like having multiple pools of spell casting if they won't be increasing together and domains don't really cross over well.

The GM approved a slight homebrew tweak of warpriest that would let me take Warpath Follower to gain a few maneuvers and in place of spellcasting, give me channel energy as a cleric right at 1st level. For a 2 level dip this would give me:

Blessings
Heavy Armor Proficiency
Maneuvers
Fervor (level 2, not much but it could help me tank)
Channel Energy

With the right maneuvers, I could be downright tanky and a bit of a buffer, which would synergize Priest archetype which is legal with Suit Seeker. First level feat would probably be Selective Channeling if I went down this route and third would be Channeling Scourge.

Basically, would having scaling channeling, a handful of maneuvers, and heavy armor without a feat be worth this two level dip in the long run, or would it be better to stick with straight inquisitor?

Grand Arbiter
2017-02-13, 11:36 PM
Soulknife (ranged archetype, not sure what)
Just dropping in to clear this little mystery. The Soulbolt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife/archetypes/dreamscarred-press/soulbolt/) archetype is likely what they will be using.

I'd offer help on the inquisitor, but I guarantee you'd end up giving me advice, not the other way around. :smallredface:

Tuvarkz
2017-02-14, 02:16 AM
Remember that Channel Scourge is only applicable when channeling to damage, and it's a rather poor source of that to be honest, particularly because maneuvers can just outdamage it with no problem.
Go full inquisitor levels and take Warpath Follower as it is on the inquisitor.

Geddy2112
2017-02-14, 10:51 AM
You are level 1, nobody else is going to be a god either. Being that good in two combats a day is something. Also, if you have split mail, decent strength and a greataxe off the bat, you are a threat at level 1. You will do consistently solid damage and be fairly hard to hit at this level. You could also invest in some dex and just go with medium armor and get a similar boost.

With fate's favored and the tattoo your saves are very strong for this level.

What is your domain? If you take luck, you can seriously buff the party(in and out of combat) or take the knowledge domain and be the party textbook. Knowledge works well with monster lore, as you can almost guarantee you will identify any monster you see. Likewise, you have a lot of skills the party does not and ranks to throw around, helping outside of combat.

Once you get power attack at level 3, you will be online for melee. Then just keep scaling your armor and pick the right spells to buff up in combat.
As you said, you will be the jack of all trades-never the best at any role, but you can do them all and anytime the party needs you, you will be there. I suggest staying in inquisitor and I doubt you will have an issue.

Lappy9001
2017-02-14, 05:22 PM
Well that's what I get for not reading. If it doesn't allow healing it's even less worth it. Straight inquisitor it is. That was really easy, thanks!