PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sorcery Combo's

Discord
2017-02-14, 09:05 AM
So, rolling another Level 1 Character. Currently I am going to play a Sea Sorcerer Abyssal Tiefling (couldn't think of another race I wanted to play, and the extra spells are nice), I originally rolled for stats at: 13, 13, 13, 13, 8, 11... Rolled again: 5, 6, 11, 12, 13, 14... DM then said just to take Standard Array so I am.

so I am wondering what you guys think of some interactions of Sea Sorcery Curses with certain spells. Like Lightning Lure. It moves the target 10ft to you, and the Curse indicates than when you force movement you can force them an additional 15ft, could they whip to you and then past you with the additional 15ft? What are some other cool interactions with forced movement and such that seem neat? I feel like the Gust Cantrip being able to push 20ft now seems pretty cool.

tieren
2017-02-14, 09:12 AM
Be careful with lightning lure, the damage component requires them to be close to you at the end.

I am working on a Yuan ti sea sorcerer now.

I'm planning g on the mobile feat to get next to an opponent hit it with booming blade to apply curse, quickened shocking grasp for lightning damage plus Cha then back away to see if they pursue and take the BB rider damage.

Deleted
2017-02-14, 09:13 AM
The issue is that Lightning Lure and I think Thorn Whip specifies that the movement is directly toward you. Ask your DM tho.

Discord
2017-02-14, 09:28 AM
Be careful with lightning lure, the damage component requires them to be close to you at the end.

I am working on a Yuan ti sea sorcerer now.

I'm planning g on the mobile feat to get next to an opponent hit it with booming blade to apply curse, quickened shocking grasp for lightning damage plus Cha then back away to see if they pursue and take the BB rider damage.

The spell reads at the end: "10 feet in a line straight toward you, and then take 1d8 lightning damage if it is within 5 feet of you" it doesn't say anything about ending my turn with it 5 feet from me, and I know it says a straight line, but I don't see why I couldn't step out of the way especially if I have movement to do so.

I would make my Sea Sorcerer a Yuan-Ti, but I am already playing a Yuan-Ti Lore Bard in a campaign on Sundays in PoTA.

jaappleton
2017-02-14, 09:33 AM
Sea Sorcerer combos best with an Archfey Warlock.

Sea Sorc 1 / Archfey Warlock (take Tome for Ritual casting)

Sea Sorc 1 nets you Con proficiency. Take Warlock 2, for Eldritch Blast, Repelling Blast, Agonizing Blast, and the new Invocation for Archfey which slows the target by 10ft.

So now, with the Sea 'curse' ability for forced movement... Eldritch Blast repels targets a total of 25 ft per blast, and reduced their speed by 10ft.

Nothing will approach you. Nothing. If something does, use the Archfey's 'Fey Presense' to Frighten everyone away from you.

tieren
2017-02-14, 10:32 AM
The spell reads at the end: "10 feet in a line straight toward you, and then take 1d8 lightning damage if it is within 5 feet of you" it doesn't say anything about ending my turn with it 5 feet from me, and I know it says a straight line, but I don't see why I couldn't step out of the way especially if I have movement to do so.

I think we are saying the same thing, it has to end the forced movement within 5 feet of you to take the damage, you can of course then move wherever you want to end the turn any distance away.

Issue is if you use lightning lure to move target from 15 feet in front of you to 10 feet behind you with the extra curse movement, it will then be out of range of the damage effect. (I agree this is a completely valid forced movement).

Note the curse effect specifies it is only once per turn so you won't get it on every repelling blast if you go for eldritch blast.

Discord
2017-02-14, 10:53 AM
I think we are saying the same thing, it has to end the forced movement within 5 feet of you to take the damage, you can of course then move wherever you want to end the turn any distance away.

Issue is if you use lightning lure to move target from 15 feet in front of you to 10 feet behind you with the extra curse movement, it will then be out of range of the damage effect. (I agree this is a completely valid forced movement).

Note the curse effect specifies it is only once per turn so you won't get it on every repelling blast if you go for eldritch blast.

I suppose that would be a fair call. Either you can get the 25ft of forced movement or the damage at least it brings a bit more utility to the spell I suppose, I'll have to ask my DM ultimately what he thinks about it. Also, one of our players is already going to multiclass Warlock and I don't like stepping on other peoples toes so I probably will run straight Sorcerer it looks like.

Any cool interactions with any other spells with the curses?

tieren
2017-02-14, 11:19 AM
I suppose that would be a fair call. Either you can get the 25ft of forced movement or the damage at least it brings a bit more utility to the spell I suppose, I'll have to ask my DM ultimately what he thinks about it. Also, one of our players is already going to multiclass Warlock and I don't like stepping on other peoples toes so I probably will run straight Sorcerer it looks like.

Any cool interactions with any other spells with the curses?

EEPC has some more elemental spells like the frostbite cantrip and ice knife spell. The cantrip in particular looks a lot more attractive with a rider of also reducing enemy movement to 15 feet.

You might want to talk to your DM whether spells that knock prone (like earth tremor) count as forced movement. Could be visually interesting to knock prone and fling them 15 feet away.

Vaz
2017-02-14, 11:26 AM
To add to the Archfey, have it Archfey 3 for Frost Lance, Repelling Blast and Agonizing Blast.

Using the Forced Movement Sorcery ability, you shunt it 35ft and reduce speed by 10ft, or quicken EB/Ray of Frost for 20ft back and reduce speed by 35ft.

tieren
2017-02-14, 11:29 AM
To add to the Archfey, have it Archfey 3 for Frost Lance, Repelling Blast and Agonizing Blast.

Using the Forced Movement Sorcery ability, you shunt it 35ft and reduce speed by 10ft, or quicken EB/Ray of Frost for 20ft back and reduce speed by 35ft.

Speed reductions don't stack, you get the greater of the two.

Vaz
2017-02-14, 11:41 AM
Source?

Words

Discord
2017-02-14, 12:40 PM
Source?

Words

Cold Damage. If the affected target takes cold
damage from your spell, the target’s speed is
also reduced by 15 feet until the end of your
next turn. If the spell already reduces the
target’s speed, use whichever reduction is
greater.

tieren
2017-02-14, 12:43 PM
greater.

ninja'd

I was on my way with it.

tieren
2017-02-14, 03:59 PM
I am interested i this topic too as I am also building a sea sorcerer, so I just looked through the PhB spells and these are the ones on the sorcerer list that have an interaction with the curse feature:

Ray of Frost
Shocking Grasp
Chromatic Orb
Cone of Cold
Gust of Wind
Ice Storm
Lightning Bolt
Telekinesis
Thunderwave

Telekinesis is about the only one I wouldn't normally have thought of.

Ice Storm creates an area of difficult terrain on top of cold damage, so slowing the enemy and sticking them in difficult terrain could lock them down for a while (maybe use gust of wind to knock them back into it).

I'll take a look at the EEPC spells tonight.

If you are willing to dip warlock there could be some fun synergy with the cold damage from Armor of Agathys and Hunger of Hadar, particularly HoH as you can use the slowed movement to keep them from escaping the radius of the spell (or just knock them back into it).

Discord
2017-02-14, 04:19 PM
EE Spells:

Cantrips:
Gust
Frostbite

1st Level Spells:
Ice Knife

2nd Level Spells:
Snilloc's Snowball Swarm

4th Level Spells:
Storm Spehere

6th Level Spells:
Investiture of Ice

Those were the only one's I could find on the Sorcerer spell list at first sight.

8wGremlin
2017-02-14, 04:35 PM
Is there anyway to make a build with the new Lore Wizards 2nd level feature of changing elements on spells cast with slots?

tieren
2017-02-14, 04:43 PM
Is there anyway to make a build with the new Lore Wizards 2nd level feature of changing elements on spells cast with slots?

probably, but that is too over the top as it is for me to seriously consider play-testing it. I doubt much of what there is in that subclass will ever go live. (although using distant spell [and some sort of scrying] to lightning lure guards off a wall a mile away would be funny)

I'm dipping two levels of either fighter or paladin for armor and weapon proficiencies and a fighting style and straight sea sorcerer for the rest.

LudicSavant
2017-02-14, 05:19 PM
EE Spells:

Cantrips:
Gust
Frostbite

1st Level Spells:
Ice Knife

2nd Level Spells:
Snilloc's Snowball Swarm

4th Level Spells:
Storm Spehere

6th Level Spells:
Investiture of Ice

Those were the only one's I could find on the Sorcerer spell list at first sight.

Watery Sphere can move people.

tieren
2017-02-14, 05:42 PM
I'm also wondering about some other cases of spells causing movement whether it counts. As "forced movement"

Example: confusion and compulsion can make the opponent use its movement, or what about dominated enemies, if you make them walk in a direction do they go 15 feet further? What if it is not dominated but under your command like create undead? What if they have to move away because of a fear effect?

MrStabby
2017-02-14, 06:30 PM
I'm also wondering about some other cases of spells causing movement whether it counts. As "forced movement"

Example: confusion and compulsion can make the opponent use its movement, or what about dominated enemies, if you make them walk in a direction do they go 15 feet further? What if it is not dominated but under your command like create undead? What if they have to move away because of a fear effect?

I would rule that if it wouldn't give an attack of opportunity then it is forced movement for the purposes of the spell.

Deleted
2017-02-14, 06:40 PM
I would rule that if it wouldn't give an attack of opportunity then it is forced movement for the purposes of the spell.

A recent rulling said that any movement due to spells is forced movement and don't provoke OA.

So any movement due to a spell is forced movement?

I'm about to start dishes or I would look up a source lol.

Discord
2017-02-16, 08:46 AM
For those of you building Sea Sorcerer's what does your spell progression look like? Cantrips I have: Gust, Shocking Grasp, Lightning Lure, Ray of Frost. 1st Level spells so far: Ice Knife and Mage Armor, was thinking about being ballsy and not having Mage Armor at level 1 but will see.

Maxilian
2017-02-16, 11:54 AM
Eldritch Blast with the proper invocation also works to improve the push effect.

Also if you happen to be a Rune Master (Cold), you can enchant your weapon so it will do cold damage, and then use the EE cantrips (BB or GFB) and they will apply for the speed reduction curse.

Note: I believe that also work with the Smite spells -Not the Paladin smite ability but the spells-

tieren
2017-02-16, 04:11 PM
For those of you building Sea Sorcerer's what does your spell progression look like? Cantrips I have: Gust, Shocking Grasp, Lightning Lure, Ray of Frost. 1st Level spells so far: Ice Knife and Mage Armor, was thinking about being ballsy and not having Mage Armor at level 1 but will see.

I'll probably not take gust initially and instead grab Booming Blade (thunder kind of fits the theme). Haven't looked close enough at first level spell selection yet though. I'm dipping fighter after first level so just have to survive a little bit til I get the armor.

Discord
2017-02-16, 07:56 PM
I'll probably not take gust initially and instead grab Booming Blade (thunder kind of fits the theme). Haven't looked close enough at first level spell selection yet though. I'm dipping fighter after first level so just have to survive a little bit til I get the armor.

I mean Gust isn't great, but hitting someone with a Ray of Frost, then pushing them away next turn 20ft is kinda neat.

Vaz
2017-02-16, 08:52 PM
greater.

But that's not what I said.

retaliation08
2017-02-16, 09:48 PM
If only you could do multiple curses per turn...

green flame blade followed by quickened thunderwave would be so nasty.

tieren
2017-02-17, 03:30 PM
If only you could do multiple curses per turn...

green flame blade followed by quickened thunderwave would be so nasty.

Which curse do you think is activated by GFB?

there is one for lightning damage, one for cold damage and one for forced movement.

edit: nvm, I see what you're saying, apply to both with the GFB and then knock both back with the thunderwave, clever. Could still do it with only cursing one of them, knocking them back different amounts could help upset enemy lines.

retaliation08
2017-02-27, 12:00 AM

You shouldn't need the mobile feat for this tactic as shocking grasp denies the target its reaction.

ironcladmemory
2017-07-11, 04:22 AM

Sea Sorc 1 nets you Con proficiency. Take Warlock 2, for Eldritch Blast, Repelling Blast, Agonizing Blast, and the new Invocation for Archfey which slows the target by 10ft.

So now, with the Sea 'curse' ability for forced movement... Eldritch Blast repels targets a total of 25 ft per blast, and reduced their speed by 10ft.

Nothing will approach you. Nothing. If something does, use the Archfey's 'Fey Presense' to Frighten everyone away from you.

How are you using all 3: repelling blast, agonizing blast, and frost lance? At level 2, only 2 invocations are allowed.

Khrysaes
2017-07-11, 05:43 AM
6th level Tempest cleric has some mesh with it. Adds forced movement to the Lightning damage.

6th Level of the Zeal Domain, from Plane Shift Amonkhet, adds forced movement to thunder damage, which also meshes well with Thunderwave and Booming blade.

Maxilian
2017-07-11, 10:04 AM
The issue is that Lightning Lure and I think Thorn Whip specifies that the movement is directly toward you. Ask your DM tho.

Thorn Whip does not specify that (not really a problem for that cantrip)

Vaz
2017-07-11, 10:25 AM
Yes it does.

If the attack hits, the creature takes 1d6 piercing damage, and if the creature is Large or smaller, you pull the creature up to 10 feet closer to you.

Edit - I suppose not directly to you, but at least closer. I suppose you could take that to read 30ft to the east, and move it so that it's 25 ft to the west.

Maxilian
2017-07-11, 10:29 AM
Yes it does.

Edit - I suppose not directly to you, but at least closer. I suppose you could take that to read 30ft to the east, and move it so that it's 25 ft to the west.

Ermmm... i guess you misunderstood my comment, i mean that unlike lighting lure, it does not specify that it have to be in a certain range of you to do damage (excluding the range per so of the cantrip)

Naanomi
2017-07-11, 10:40 AM
Currently I am going to play a Sea Sorcerer Abyssal Tiefling (couldn't think of another race I wanted to play, and the extra spells are nice)
There are a good number of Evil aquatic outsiders to be descended from and tie it all together... Myrmixicus, Wastrilith, Skulvyn, Piscoloth, Marraenoloth, Hydroloth, Xerdilstyx

Hypersmith
2017-07-11, 11:29 AM
I'm currently playing a sea sorcerer at level 7, and making use of the curse so far is all about remaining mobile and able to move around the battlefield, to push or pull enemies towards your allies, or stop them from fleeing or delaying their approach. (so misty step and watery defense come in handy, as will later class features.) I will multiclass paladin starting at level 9 (for story), so I'll eventually be back with feedback on that interaction.

Cantrips are:
Lightning Lure
Ray of Frost/frostbite
Gust
Shape Water (because come on)
Shocking Grasp

Lightning Lure is awesome because you actually get to choose movement or damage.
Frostbite/ray of frost is a choice you have to make. I really like frostbite because you actually gain an effect - you don't just slow them by an extra 5 feet. It suffers from low damage and a con save though, so be careful.
Gust because sometimes you really really need to push someone 20 feet into the barbarian, off a cliff, or when you hit the minor panic button, quicken shocking grasp, run, and need to get them away from you.

Hallbt01
2018-12-04, 10:52 PM

Will the curse ability only apply to one target if you are high enough levels to cast multiple beams with Eldritch Blast? Like could you push multiple enemies 25ft away?