PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade spell list can't be used with pack of the blade.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-14, 11:48 AM
So this still works but it's scales horribly and that's the spell shield.

But my real gripe is with the Spells magic weapon and Elemental weapon. And their description it says you cast a spell on a non magical weapon. But when you go pack of the blade and Newsome and your blade or make a weapon your ear pack blade. That weapon becomes magical making it unable to cast magical weapon or Elemental weapon on it. That is so asinine. I would switch out magic weapon for Aid. Then Elemental weapon for haste.

Joe the Rat
2017-02-14, 01:54 PM
My first thought is so what. If you have magic weapon, you can cast it on any weapon. There's should be 2-4 other people in your party that could benefit.

DracoKnight has a thought on this one.

No, they're not. Pact of the Blade counts as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical damage. It is not actually magical, thus can be enchanted by those spells. Read the text of PotB again :smallbiggrin:

AttilatheYeon
2017-02-14, 01:55 PM
The language is weird, but the spell doesn't forbid using it on magic weapons. It just doesn't talk about magic weapons.

"You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls."

There's some wiggle room about magic weapons. Anyways there's room for arguement there. As an aside, there may be an errata about this spell.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-14, 02:05 PM
The language is weird, but the spell doesn't forbid using it on magic weapons. It just doesn't talk about magic weapons.

"You touch a nonmagical weapon. Until the spell ends, that weapon becomes a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls."

There's some wiggle room about magic weapons. Anyways there's room for arguement there. As an aside, there may be an errata about this spell.

How is there wiggle room It say nonmagical?

Sir cryosin
2017-02-14, 02:07 PM
My first thought is so what. If you have magic weapon, you can cast it on any weapon. There's should be 2-4 other people in your party that could benefit.

I'll have to read the the phb when I get home. So those spell can stack with the +X invocations?

Joe the Rat
2017-02-14, 02:20 PM
Sorry, any nonmagical weapon.

As a sanity check, I would argue that magic weapon and the bonuses from the npw invocations count as the same type of enchantment from two different sources, so only the strongest prevails.

Frankly I think the whole thing needs a rework.

Boarboy
2020-07-07, 02:44 PM

Well the entire hexblade states very clearly that the pact blades are sentient magical weapons...so no, they are magical...and your patreon...so the spells are useless

Mellack
2020-07-07, 03:36 PM
The spells are not useless, but they are less useful. You have other team members whom you may want to help. You might have a ranged weapon or off-hand weapon you want to use it on.

Satori01
2020-07-07, 04:11 PM
PACT OF THE BLADE
You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see chapter 5 for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Note the ability does not state the Pact Blade counts as magical for the purpose of being a target of a spell.

Also a Hexblade does not have the Magic Weapon spell on the expanded spell list.

The East German Judge gives a 2. 😉

Indisputably, it does suck to expend a spell slot Higher then a 1 level slot to cast the Shield spell.

Man_Over_Game
2020-07-07, 04:37 PM
Well the entire hexblade states very clearly that the pact blades are sentient magical weapons...so no, they are magical...and your patreon...so the spells are useless

That's actually a really, really frequent misunderstanding of the hexblade class.

"You have made your pact with...a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadows. ...Many hexblade warlocks create weapons that emulate those formed in the Shadowfell."

You form a pact with an entity, who happens to be a sentient weapon. Often your weapon may emulate your patron, but it's no different than a Fiendlock with a pactblade making his weapon emulate demon hands and flames.

Aett_Thorn
2020-07-07, 04:42 PM

The Patron is a magical weapon. Your pact weapon might not be, even though it is a manifestation of your patron.

Nagog
2020-07-07, 04:49 PM
I'll have to read the the phb when I get home. So those spell can stack with the +X invocations?

I would also compare it to the text on D&D Beyond. Errata may have changed something since the printing of your copy of the PHB, so if there's still confusion that may be the source

That's actually a really, really frequent misunderstanding of the hexblade class.

"You have made your pact with...a force that manifests in sentient magic weapons carved from the stuff of shadows. ...Many hexblade warlocks create weapons that emulate those formed in the Shadowfell."

You form a pact with an entity, who happens to be a sentient weapon. Often your weapon may emulate your patron, but it's no different than a Fiendlock with a pactblade making his weapon emulate demon hands and flames.

Yep, that's true.

I'd also argue that RAI, it means you can't add another +1 to a weapon that already has it innately. Considering the Invocations that grant said bonus, having this spell on your spell list means you can choose between investing an Invocation on it or a Spell Slot/Known. I'd also take into consideration that only Improved Pact Weapon (the +1 version of the invocation) made it to publishing, so id your DM disallows UA, Magic Weapon is the only way to ensure your Pact Weapon gets a +2 bonus once you get 4th level slots. Unfortunately the +3 bonus requires a 6th level slot per Magic Weapon, so you'l only ever get it up to +2 with Warlock slots.