PDA

View Full Version : 2nd fighting style as a hand-crossbowier?

Douche
2017-02-14, 12:47 PM
TL;DR - hand crossbow wielder. Have the Archery Fighting Style for +2 to attack rolls. Took 1 level in fighter, not sure what "secondary" Fighting Style would be best.

I leveled a hand-crossbow wielding Blood Hunter (Matt Mercer homebrew) to 10, but the abilities following that don't seem much greater.

I instead chose to go for Champion Fighter to get expanded crits, since my DPR is so high already & I'm a half-orc (savage crit). I'll probably take it to level 4 for an ASI and then either go back to Blood Hunter or choose a third multiclass, perhaps Rogue for sneak attacks.

Also of note, I do have the crossbow expert feat so I'm getting 3 attacks per round, at the cost of my bonus action.

Now my question is, what is the best fighting style for an archer, outside of Archery? I figured the default option was probably Defense for +1 to AC, but that seems lackluster. Any other suggestions?

I do have a special secondary weapon... It's a cat o'nine tails whip that allows you to make anywhere between 1-9 attacks, but with a cumulative -3 to your attack rolls per attack taken. So if you choose to take all 9 attacks at once, you suffer -24 to your attack rolls. Meaning the only way to hit is on a Crit... Which is why I decided to go for Expanded Crit in the first place. This is a build making item, since with multi-attack that's a potential 18 attacks (at 1d8) per round... And with the Blood Hunter crimson rite, it's another 1d8... Plus another 1d8 on a savage crit.

I got a chance to test it one time, on a creature hit with Faerie Fire. I dealt ~140 damage in one turn, that was like 4 levels ago.

ZiddyT
2017-02-14, 12:57 PM
Is UA an option? If so, you can take the close-quarters shooter from light, dark, undark. It'll give you another +1 to hit, but the rest of the effects are redundant.

But possibly better than +1 ac, especially to offset sharpshooter more (not sure if you took SS though). Actually if you don't have sharpshooter and don't plan on taking it, then Close Quarters Shooter will also give you the benefit of ignoring most cover, similar to sharpshooter.

Rysto
2017-02-14, 12:57 PM
+1AC is excellent. No other fighting style will come close to what that brings you.

Joe the Rat
2017-02-14, 01:27 PM
AC is never something to sneeze at. But if you can get UA, and are wearing lighter armor, Mariner would be a fun option. +1 AC, plus climb and swim don't cost double movement.