PDA

View Full Version : Help a newish group understand the consequences of our actions

Punchinello
2017-02-14, 02:19 PM
Okay, so here's a little backstory. My current group consists of a 3 newish players and one very experienced player. We're playing 3.5. I'm one of the newish players. Our DM has never DM'ed before, but he's using a prefab campaign and doing a wonderful job in most regards. Our party consists of a Ranger, a Sorc, a Rogue (me), and a Monk (our experienced player.) We're all level 5. Over the 4-5 months that we've been playing together we have pretty much developed a routine when it comes to combat. The Sorc and the Ranger sit in the back and spit damage at monsters while the Monk and I wade into mele and try to flank foes for sneak attacks and body block for our squishies.

The problem that I need help with has to do with character deaths. Precisely, our DM (at the urging of our Monk who is the more experienced player) tries really hard not to kill PCs. Instances have come up where the DM freely admits to having pulled punches from the monster's side in order to avoid PC deaths. The latest instance of this happened in our last session when we were ambushed on a sea voyage by flying sharks. We were spread out all over the deck of our ship and 4 sharks leaped out of the water and started to bite at us. Our Ranger begun combat by taking a few shots at the closest sharks and inadvertently (after rolling a couple of 1's) shot our Sorc in the back of the head. Sorc went down near the helm of the ship to the first enemy attack after being wounded by friendly fire and was unconscious. Our Monk used his turn to run to the Sorc and give him a potion that he had in his own pocket to bring him back up. This left our Ranger stuck between the shark that attacked him and the one that had initially attacked the Monk. Ranger decides that his best course of action is to 5 foot step out of mele range and double shot at the two sharks that were flanking him. On their next round the sharks down our courageous Ranger and then split off to attack me and the 2 other party members near the front of the ship. We easily pass the DPS check required to kill the remaining sharks and stabilize/heal the Ranger once combat ends.

After the session I spoke to the DM about what the justification was for not having the sharks eat the Ranger when he was down. The explanation that I got was basically "that would have killed him." That led into a lengthy discussion/argument between me and the Monk over when and how player deaths are appropriate. I was arguing that without the possibility of real danger the combat that we face feels monotonous. We simply stand and fight in every encounter and easily win the DPS race. There was never any thought in the minds of our Ranger or Sorc that they might actually die and should therefore attempt to flee or position themselves away from danger. The Ranger could have easily fled below deck when the Monk withdrew to help the Sorc. He could have used his spells to immobilize the sharks before they got to him. He could have retreated up the stairs to higher ground at the bow of the ship, or even joined the Monk and Sorc at the stern to find safety in numbers. Instead he did what has become his normal routine, which is to get out of attack of opportunity range and then deal as much damage as possible. My friend, who has been playing for decades, only retort was that "PC deaths are unfun."

Combat plays out the same way in every encounter for our party; We stand and fight until we go down. After combat ends the party members that are left standing then heal up the unconscious party members and we move on to the next combat. Every fight feels exceedingly similar in that respect. We have rarely had to think tactically about how to engage enemies because there have never really been any consequences to running headlong into each and every encounter. We have never had to run from a fight, or even take time away from dealing damage to re-position or move to safety. The Ranger never had to think about the consequences of choosing to stand and fight the sharks, and even our Sorc basically stood 5 feet from the Shark that downed him and threw magic missiles after he was revived. From a Rogue's perspective this feels pretty cheap. Having invested quite a bit of my characters budget (both in gold/skills/feats and identity) into being able to survive sticky situations I feel somewhat useless when compared to the glass cannons we have in the back line. Sure, I can do decent damage, but only when I pick my time to strike in an intelligent way. Our Ranger regularly pulls 50% or more of our total party damage while doing nothing more than taking a 5 foot step out of threat range and loosing a couple of arrows each turn. He hasn't invested any time into figuring out the intricacies of his class. To date he has yet to cast a spell or use his animal companion. Put simply, his fantasy is to spit arrows and roll big numbers. If that's what he enjoys, then so be it, I have no problem with that. However, it severely limits the available space for anyone else to really participate in combat. We have no opportunities to have to think tactically or use teamwork to outsmart our foes. Our Sorc plays a very similar style to our Ranger, e.g. sits in the back and spams as much damage as possible until things die or he runs out of spells. My question to the community is this: Would you have any suggestions for ways that might make combat feel more tactical or meaningful? Every fight boils down to a DPS race. I don't want to sound like I'm whining about not doing as much damage as another PC (that's how the more experienced player in our group took it) but when so much of my character's identity is involved in using finesse and intelligent fighting to vanquish foes I've found myself feeling quite useless to the party when we never get presented with encounters that might require more thought than just ****ting damage onto as many targets as possible before you go down. The most depth that I've gotten has come from figuring out ways to flank enemies with our Monk so that I can do SA damage. Even after all the effort and danger required to successfully execute these maneuvers the exercise feels somewhat trivial. Under ideal circumstances when we execute perfectly the Monk and I can combine our forces to deal almost as much damage as either of our two ranged characters can consistently do with zero effort required. I suggested to the DM that our backline should probably be out damaging the rest of the party when the circumstances are right and when we can provide them with safety, but that they should also fear dying if they don't take time away from ****ting damage to play defensively every once in awhile. Our Ranger and Sorc should be able to out damage the mele PCs in certain circumstances, but not in every single encounter, and especially not when they/we as a group put very little thought or effort into setting them up for those moments. As a new player I'm somewhat unfamiliar with how common these types of issues are. The analogy that I draw in my head is to League of Legends where the squishy character's get to do the most damage but only when properly set up to do so. Otherwise they are forced to kite around the edges of combat and think tactically or risk getting punished. I don't want to see any of the PCs in our group get killed off, and I appreciate the roles that we all play in the party, but combat has begun to feel repetitive and unappealing because there don't seem to be any checks or balances on when our squishies get to live out their “end game fantasy” of being immobile nukers. My DM was receptive to my point and agreed that most of our combats play out very similarly, but he is a new DM and is understandably cautious about killing off PCs so he doesn't really know what to do. Thoughts? Am I taking an unrealistic approach to how complicated/tactical combat should be? Is taking a 5 foot step out of threat range and shooting the closest target SOP for archers and mages in D&D?

Again, I don't want to come across as being jealous of another PC's ability to deal damage. It's awesome when our party springs a trap and melts faces and it has led to some incredibly interesting and memorable moments. However, when our parties default tactic is to simply kick in a door and shoot whatever is on the other side of it, combat feels fundamentally flawed and un-compelling. The sweet moments come when we are able to work as a group and all participate. We rarely find those moments however, because without the possibility for real punishment the most efficient course of action is to do as much damage as quickly as possible before going down. We play with the knowledge that unless there is a TPK the chances of any member of our party dying are practically zero. I hate the idea of surprise round insta-gibbing one of my friends, but I also hate knowing that we go into every encounter with near impunity. I've been on the receiving end of our DM's grace several times, as has every other member of my party. I wholly appreciate instances where the DM fudges the numbers to avoid killing a PC when we weren't given the opportunity to play something differently. I really dislike the instances where the DM saves a PC from their own stupidity over and over and over again without the player learning from their previous mistakes.

TL:DR

New DM is afraid of killing PCs. Combat doesn't feel dangerous or compelling. Looking for suggestions.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-02-14, 02:45 PM
About the sorcerer dying: that sounds like it's based on houserules. Don't use crit tables. Automatic misses are bad enough.

I would suggest a twofold solution: reduce the lethality of combat with a houserule or two, and make a table-wide agreement that death is an option, and intelligent slash hungry foes will attack downed characters, and the DM will not pull punches. Be prepared to compromise on the exact nature of the agreement. The point is to get the discussion out in the open: there is no way to resolve this issue unilaterally.

To reduce the lethality of combat, you need to address single-roll deaths. Relatively slow deaths, such as caused by Tucker's kobolds*, can be avoided through clever tactics. Save-or-die spells and critical hits are mostly instant death, and encourage rocket tag. So, again: don't use crit tables. Have a look at the alternative rules in chapter 4 of Unearthed Arcana. I particularly like the Damage Conversion rule, which reduces lethality by making you go unconscious instead of dying, together with an adaptation of Alternate Save Failure Results (that's under Massive Damage Thresholds and Results) to apply to all attacks. That is, anything that would reduce your hp to -10, or kill you outright, instead reduces your hp to -1d8, giving you between nine and two rounds to heal up.

*Many individually small and weak creatures cooperating through flanking, Aid Another, traps, stealth, and difficult terrain, to make life difficult for much stronger adventurers.

Punchinello
2017-02-14, 03:43 PM
Yeah, the sorcerer getting hit was the result of a house rule that states that a roll of a 1 on an attack will critically fail and hit a teammate if the attacker confirms. It doesn't do crit damage, just normal weapon damage to the party member that makes the most sense from the DM's perspective. The attacker then gets 1 point on the scoreboard that we keep and has to take a shot of rum (since we're in a piratey campaign.)

I can see situations like that not being a good scenario for a player to die in. Nobody wants to think "Man, I wouldn't have died if player x wasn't such a screw up." The real issue is that when he got healed up he was still the squishiest member of the party and made no effort to keep himself alive or out of danger. Cast mage armor on myself and hide behind a barrel? Nope. Better burning hands the things trying to eat me from just outside of their threat range.

Our DM would never intentionally try to 1 hit KO anybody and has already said that the save or die type stuff is going to be nerfed when used against us. I'm not sure what he has in mind but I'll suggest the tables you mentioned. That doesn't seem like the fun kind of difficulty that I was hoping to add to the campaign anyways. I'm more interested in the moments when people are getting bludgeoned to death by a troll and decide to stand a few squares away and face off with him instead of attempting to employ more reasonable tactics. We "solved" the issue of not having a healer in the party by using a rent-a-cleric service. Our DM gave us the option to spend 3kgp to hire a cleric to follow us around. He doesn't participate in the story or combat. We can basically stash him in a safe place and go to him for his daily allotment of healing spells. Knowing that the DM wouldn't ever try to doink somebody who was already unconscious and that we're rarely more than a few minutes away from getting topped off HP wise cuts down on the danger of going toe to toe with the scary monsters a bit too much. I'll definitely bring it up at the table next week and see what we can come up with to reduce the chances of getting screwed when we make small mistakes but make big mistakes or repeated small ones more punishing. Thanks for the advice.

ComaVision
2017-02-14, 03:51 PM
It pretty much sounds like a difference in play style. There's not much that can be done about that, if the rest of the group likes the low (no) lethality. Hopefully you can reach some sort of compromise that works for all of you.

As a DM, when my players' characters make bad tactical decisions they die. I'm up front about that being how my games are and I'm pretty inflexible in that regard. I would be far too bored DMing a game where the monsters are only ever speedbumps.

Punchinello
2017-02-14, 04:01 PM
Yeah the other players seem to be on board with the concept of "fair" deaths. Nobody in the group, DM included, thinks the save or die type stuff is particularly engaging or fun but a good death in a reasonable combat is something that none of us would be bitter about. Our DM just doesn't want to hurt feelings I think.

Zanos
2017-02-14, 04:17 PM
Predators of animal intelligence aren't going to take time to eat when they're actively threatened. That is how you die, and most animals have enough instincts to understand that. PCs usually don't take the time to finish off downed foes until after combat either, for that matter, because taking time to kill something that isn't threatening you usually isn't a good tactic.

In general, though it sounds like you have some issues with how everyone else is playing the game. Killing some monsters will eating some pizza and downing some beers is a perfectly valid style of play, even if it's not for you specifically. Sure, nobody is a tactical genius, but if everyone is enjoying it besides you, I don't think forcing the issue is a great idea.

Geddy2112
2017-02-14, 04:57 PM
I understand a new DM and a vet player not wanting to wantonly kill new players. Like learning to ride a bike, if you throw a child who is still on training wheels into a motocross race, it ends badly and they never want to do it(if they life). Every Tour De France racer, motocross, BMX professional learned to ride a bike with training wheels and probably fell and scraped their knees more than a few times.

You can't throw newbies to the wolves session one, but eventually you have to let them get hurt and possibly lose a character. It sounds like you are ready to take the training wheels off, but maybe the other players(or just the vet and the DM) are not. Maybe the other players have grown to enjoy the beer and pretzels hack and slash, and if so nothing you can do about it. Talk to the DM about maybe scaling up the difficulty, or pulling less punches, gradually. You might be ready, but shocking the other players and killing their characters to prove a point is not ideal.

The vet player is right that wanton slaughter of PC's can bring a session to a halt-if I lose more than 1 PC in any session, it basically calls the session then and there while the rest of the party runs/recuperates, and 2 or more players are rolling new characters, which is easily an hour or so of table time or ending the session right then and there. Then there is introducing the new characters, balancing encounters on the fly(if the remaining party is still in a hostile area) or otherwise burning my plans for the current and next 0-3 sessions. If they are well established characters in a long game this can have world changing events(I am totally okay with that as a DM, but it requires effort to put those changes into effect). Let's not even get started if they want to resurrect and go on a resurrection quest. Bopping PC's is a pain and unless your players wanna keep 2-3 characters rolled up ready to go, or are high enough level to regularly cheat death then it is tons of work.

As mentioned, critical fumble tables are generally bad, but if the whole table likes them who am I to say no. As far as kicking the door in and shooting everything in site, that is part of the system, more so at higher levels: it basically becomes rocket tag.

The way we do it at my table is "live fire exercises but don't shoot to kill". A DM can TPK by fiat if they truly want, but they should never do so, nor bolt from the blue in the form of a trap, over CR encounter, or save-or-die/no save dead. Every encounter should have the potential to kill a PC, even if the odds of that happening are very low. Everything is dangerous, and certainly can kill a PC. However, I don't design encounters specifically to do so. Another thing we like to say is that adventuring should be as dangerous as cave diving. Even the best and most experienced cave divers can die doing it, but if you know what you are doing you minimize the risk. The stupid and foolish don't last very long. Adventuring is the exact same thing.

Punchinello
2017-02-14, 05:28 PM
I understand a new DM and a vet player not wanting to wantonly kill new players. Like learning to ride a bike, if you throw a child who is still on training wheels into a motocross race, it ends badly and they never want to do it(if they life). Every Tour De France racer, motocross, BMX professional learned to ride a bike with training wheels and probably fell and scraped their knees more than a few times.

You can't throw newbies to the wolves session one, but eventually you have to let them get hurt and possibly lose a character. It sounds like you are ready to take the training wheels off, but maybe the other players(or just the vet and the DM) are not. Maybe the other players have grown to enjoy the beer and pretzels hack and slash, and if so nothing you can do about it. Talk to the DM about maybe scaling up the difficulty, or pulling less punches, gradually. You might be ready, but shocking the other players and killing their characters to prove a point is not ideal.

The vet player is right that wanton slaughter of PC's can bring a session to a halt-if I lose more than 1 PC in any session, it basically calls the session then and there while the rest of the party runs/recuperates, and 2 or more players are rolling new characters, which is easily an hour or so of table time or ending the session right then and there. Then there is introducing the new characters, balancing encounters on the fly(if the remaining party is still in a hostile area) or otherwise burning my plans for the current and next 0-3 sessions. If they are well established characters in a long game this can have world changing events(I am totally okay with that as a DM, but it requires effort to put those changes into effect). Let's not even get started if they want to resurrect and go on a resurrection quest. Bopping PC's is a pain and unless your players wanna keep 2-3 characters rolled up ready to go, or are high enough level to regularly cheat death then it is tons of work.

As mentioned, critical fumble tables are generally bad, but if the whole table likes them who am I to say no. As far as kicking the door in and shooting everything in site, that is part of the system, more so at higher levels: it basically becomes rocket tag.

The way we do it at my table is "live fire exercises but don't shoot to kill". A DM can TPK by fiat if they truly want, but they should never do so, nor bolt from the blue in the form of a trap, over CR encounter, or save-or-die/no save dead. Every encounter should have the potential to kill a PC, even if the odds of that happening are very low. Everything is dangerous, and certainly can kill a PC. However, I don't design encounters specifically to do so. Another thing we like to say is that adventuring should be as dangerous as cave diving. Even the best and most experienced cave divers can die doing it, but if you know what you are doing you minimize the risk. The stupid and foolish don't last very long. Adventuring is the exact same thing.

Yeah I never meant to suggest that wantonly killing of PCs is something that I want or expect out of our campaign. We are all beer and pretzels players to a pretty large extent and we get into the role playing side of it way more than the combat side of things most times. The biggest hurdle that we need to cross is not "should players be killed off randomly" because everyone agrees that something stupid probably shouldn't kill you. Rather, we need to get out of the mindset of "players can't die, therefore doing stupid things is totally okay." Part of me agrees that if that's the kind of campaign we're going to play and everyone else is enjoying it then so be it. Who am I to try to change something up that the majority of players enjoy? The other part of me thinks that with a little more effort we could all have a more enjoyable experience. It feels a lot like skipping to the end of a novel and learning that all the main characters survive. Suddenly the conflicts the heroes are faced with become meaningless because you know that they will prevail in the end. There have been so many times where we have to spend rest days recuperating from fights or burning through lesser healing wands because somebody in the party wanted to face tank the bad guys to up their damage numbers instead of using skills/spells to escape the incoming damage that doing anything but max damage feels trivial and we know we'll survive regardless.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-14, 05:34 PM
You've been playing for months. Tell the DM it's okay to take the kid gloves off and that refusing to do so will be far worse for the game in the long-run. How much accomplishment is there if victory is handed to you?

Oh, and tell the DM to throw out those stupid fumble rules unless he wants to run a comedy campaign.

Worse comes worse, go full suicidal moron until he can't help but kill somebody. Then make the new character and tell him, "see, it's not the end of the world when a PC eats it." This is a last resort if talking doesn't quite cut it.

Troacctid
2017-02-14, 08:50 PM
It would be pretty stupid of the bad guys to waste their actions targeting someone who's already dropped.

It sounds like a lot of the issue is just a natural consequence of having a 100% dedicated healer in the party whose literal job is exactly to prevent you from dying in scenarios like this—combined, of course, with a lack of encounter variety that allows every fight to be a DPS check.

JonathanPDX
2017-02-14, 11:01 PM
PC deaths are not only part of the game, they can be a lot of fun. My friends and I still tell stories from 20 years ago when a character went on a suicidal quest against a dragon way out of his league and got stomped into paste. Or when the crazy monk tried to use "catch arrows" on a catapulted stone the size of a small house. I'm not afraid to kill off new players characters because they need to learn about consequences and the weight of their choices. In my opinion, D&D / Pathfinder is fun because mistakes and death have real consequences. You don't just use an extra life or respawn at the last save point.

If the players are super attached to their characters you can still find ways to bring them back after a death. Perhaps the party has to sell off their magic items to pay a high level cleric to cast Raise Dead, or the party finds a scroll that brings the dead player back but with a permanent penalty. To learn tactics you have to suffer consequences and mindlessly blasting away as a glass cannon should result in real consequences. Even if the DM is afraid of death, perhaps the enemy knocks the party out and takes all their stuff, or locks them in jail, or leaves their unconscious bodies behind to rush ahead and advance some dastardly plot with no opposition.

So what can the DM do to add consequence without going too far? Here are a few ideas:
1. Don't pull any punches but raise the party level vs. the encounter level a bit, so the PC's have an edge (without that edge being "we can never die.")
2. Give the PC's some items like scrolls or potions that help with recovery but have limited uses or some other negative consequence. I would want the players to say "Oh man, we barely made it out of that one and the Magic Potion Of Extra Lives is empty. Maybe we should be more careful next time!"
3. Equip the party with slightly better items and equipment, giving them an edge over the enemies so the fight is challenging but in the PC's favor, similar to #1.
4. Drop any rules that result in critical failures or dramatic negatives. Fumbles, critical misses, etc. Make damage more incremental, so the ranger sees his HP falling round by round and it's obvious he has to make a change or he'll get dropped. It's easier to teach when the player sees it coming as opposed to "Whoops, now you're dead."

I've been running a group for over a year that had no experience with roleplaying prior to this. I started off easy with encounters they could handle without a ton of mortal risk but I gave them plenty of opportunities to fail and real consequences, too. They had a couple full party wipes as the result of increasingly poor decision making and some very close calls as well. But now they are better players, know how to handle it when things don't go their way, and they have great discussions on the repercussions when they are faced with a difficult choice or combat situation. They aren't skittish and afraid but they feel the tension knowing that there's a real chance of failure and character death. Personally, I think it's more fun to barely make it out of the dungeon alive than to waltz through without breaking a sweat.

-JonathanPDX

Dagroth
2017-02-14, 11:15 PM
It would be pretty stupid of the bad guys to waste their actions targeting someone who's already dropped.

It sounds like a lot of the issue is just a natural consequence of having a 100% dedicated healer in the party whose literal job is exactly to prevent you from dying in scenarios like this—combined, of course, with a lack of encounter variety that allows every fight to be a DPS check.

They don't have a healer (beyond what little the Ranger is capable of, but apparently doesn't bother with). Which, oddly enough, is part of the problem. Right now, the Monk is doing the healing via potions... but, because he's the experienced player, he's also part of the problem.

A relatively new to the game player, playing a Cleric (or Favored Soul... probably a better idea if given help with spell selection) feels the sense of urgency involved in "I've got to keep these guys alive" that the other players in your game aren't feeling (and the Monk's player probably isn't conveying). The Cleric's player provides a voice of "you've got to be more careful... there's only so much I can do!"

Plus, a Cleric in the party allows the GM to push a little harder. A party full of Glass Cannons doesn't need to run into save-or-die spells & traps to be wiped, as your encounter with the flying sharks showed.

As for contributing a bit more damage... get a Fighter level or two so you can get Combat Expertise, Improved Feint and Improved Trip. If you successfully feint (as a move action using the bluff skill with Improved Feint), the opponent is flat footed and takes sneak attack damage when you hit them... and they're easier to hit, since they don't have their dex bonus to AC. If you trip someone, they're worse than flat footed while down (great targets for your Ranger & Sorcerer)... plus, they're considered flat footed while their getting up, and you get an attack of opportunity while they're getting up... doing sneak attack damage.

Since the Ranger player never uses their Animal Companion (one extra thing for a new player to keep track of), see if the GM & player will allow a ret-con so the character has the "Distracting Attack" ACF from Player's Handbook 2. This will make foes he hits considered flanked, so you can backstab them.

If you have access to the book Dragon Magic, there's a couple of Ranger Spells in there that last 24 hours per casting. Again, good for a new player who doesn't want a bunch of stuff to keep track of... they turn some of his spells per day into effectively "class features" just like favored enemies or combat styles.

But really, what your party needs is someone whose job it is to provide healing, buffing and some melee support... A Cleric or Favored Soul. It really does change the party dynamic.

Deophaun
2017-02-14, 11:26 PM
While people have popped in to tell you to ditch the critical fumble rules, they haven't told you why beyond "it's bad."

If you hit a teammate on a natural 1, you are going to hit your teammates more the better you get, because as you gain levels, you gain more attacks, which means more opportunities to roll a natural 1. You have to confirm the hit? Well, guess what else goes up as you level? And apparently you are more likely to hit your teammates if you have a +5 weapon helping your accuracy than if you have a POS you pulled off the junk pile.

Does any of that make sense? Why would a heroic--nay--an epic champion of legend who can shoot an arrow through the eye of a needle on the other side of a forest a mile across be more likely to hit his allies than a farmhand that was just handed a bow for the first time and told to help his brothers fend off some wolves? Because that's how it works in the wacky bizzaro world of critical fumbles.

Zanos
2017-02-14, 11:32 PM
In general you might want to rethink any rule that results in a level 20 fighter sparring with a practice dummy and everyone near him dead by the end of the day.

I personally don't even have people auto-fail anything on 1s, but actively punishing 1s beyond that isn't great for the game. Especially for players, who face a lot more long term consequences from fumbles than enemies, who are expected to die anyway.

Fizban
2017-02-15, 03:09 AM
If the DM won't kill PCs under any circumstances, then yeah I don't see the point either. If the DM will only kill PCs during climactic battles, that's a decent compromise. If the game is just a series of relatively unimportant battles with no plot driving towards a climax, you're back to the original problem.

While intentionally suiciding seems a bit agressive I can see the angle, it just won't help if the DM won't actually kill anyone. The only other way to force them to witness a death would be to slip it in under the radar, take a raging barbarian and fight your way down far enough to die when it runs out or something, but even then they'd just say that someone healed you first. Would you be more interested if you could convince the DM to put a hit on you and at least your character was at risk of dying?