PDA

View Full Version : Warlock familiars

Starchild7309
2017-02-14, 03:14 PM
So I am an 11 Wild mage Sorc/3 Pact of chain Warlock. I haven't gotten to summon my familiar yet. Of the improved familiars which has the most utility? Which is best? Familiars are new to me so I have no idea. Also, and I am not sure, I used to play 3.5 where familiars shared spells with you, but that's no longer the case? So if I cast blink my familiar just kind of falls off my shoulder when I blink out? And one last question, is it true that I can resummon the familiar for 10gp in a different for anytime I have an hour to spare?

Thanks.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-14, 03:51 PM
I like owls and pseudo-dragons. But they are not the most optimize choices. Any spell you can cast on someone else you can cast on your familiar. Also you can cast touch based spells through your familiar. I love owls for there flyby ability they can get in deliver the spell and get out with out provoking a attack of opportunity. But a imp has invisibility and magic resistance. I have never used a chain path warlock so I can't give to much advice.

Dalebert
2017-02-14, 04:22 PM
Imp is the best all around familiar if you can get it, which you can since your chain. It can even be a fey imp or a celestial imp. There are ongoing debates about whether it's alignment has to be an imp's alignment if it's a spirit transformed into an imp. By absolute strictest RAW, that's probably true but I doubt many DMs would mind re-flavoring it to something else with an imp's stats.

Millstone85
2017-02-14, 05:02 PM
"Fun" fact: In recent printings of the PHB, you can no longer cast polymorph on the imp or quasit. It used to be that shapechangers would automatically succeed their save against the spell if unwilling. But now, polymorph just doesn't work on shapechangers. It is not in the errata pdf but it is in the book.

jaappleton
2017-02-14, 05:06 PM
"Fun" fact: In recent printings of the PHB, you can no longer cast polymorph on the imp or quasit. It used to be that shapechangers would automatically succeed their save against the spell if unwilling. But now, polymorph just doesn't work on shapechangers. It is not in the errata pdf but it is in the book.

So rip out that page and don't let your DM see it, ever.... >_>

Starchild7309
2017-02-14, 11:06 PM

However polymorph does work with the Sprite or pseudodragon?

Dalebert
2017-02-14, 11:16 PM
Do we really care? Are they good candidates for polymorphing anyway? Their CR isn't very high.

Naanomi
2017-02-14, 11:21 PM
Ask your GM if you can milk your familiars for poison. Depending on your party members, that may be a factor on which is most useful to the party.

Also, don't overlook the social/investigative power of a Sprite's ability to detect someone's alignment. Nothing else in the game quite replicates it.