PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Grappling at low levels - what are my options?

Escribblings
2017-02-14, 05:47 PM
I'm a level 3 Goliath Frenzy Barbarian.

We are currently under attack from 3 Perryton's that have stalked us after 1 got away from an earlier fight.

They attacked in the night and one of our band has already had his heart eaten!

Currently 2 are laughing through Tasha's Hideous Laughter and the 3rd has been crippled with Bane.

I am currently raging, and have the option to also benefit from up to 4 instances of Bardic Inspiration (not all at once obviously), so it has been suggested I grapple one of the birds, specifically the Baned 1.

My question is how do I go about this and what can I do and not do?

I'm assuming I roll for attack, and if successful roll for Athletics. If successful there then 1 of the birds will be grappled.

But what then, I presume that on this turn there is nothing more I can do (shove, prone, attack with free hand or grapple a second creature).

Also, once grappled, apart from restricting speed to 0, do the grappled creatures suffer any disadvantages or do the part gain any advantages?

Contrast
2017-02-14, 05:57 PM
No attack roll, just an atheltics check (on which you have advantage while raging) on your part opposed by an athletics or acrobatics check on their part.

You can swap out one of your attacks when you take the attack action (at this level you only have one attack so you won't get to attack that turn unless you've got another attack - for example a bonus action attack from a frenzied rage).

Being grappled doesn't do anything but reduce their speed to 0 - however it would take their action if they wanted to try and break free. You could push them prone on a subsequent turn using a shove (same mechanic as grappling) and then people standing next to them (including you) would get advantage on them and they would be unable to stand up provided they're still grapped (takes more to stand up and they have none).

These rules are all in the 'make an attack' section in the PHB.

Escribblings
2017-02-14, 06:15 PM
I had read them, but I hadn't quite worked them out.

Should I use my bonus to frenzy?

I won't get the frenzy bonus until next turn so I can still only just grapple on this turn.

Puh Laden
2017-02-14, 07:06 PM
I had read them, but I hadn't quite worked them out.

Should I use my bonus to frenzy?

I won't get the frenzy bonus until next turn so I can still only just grapple on this turn.

Starting a frenzy doesn't require a bonus action. The wording somewhat implies that you need to decide to go into a frenzy when you start your rage but it's arguable either way (why would it specify that you need to wait to attack using a bonus action after this turn if the bonus action is already used up by going into a rage?) and I'm more inclined to it only requiring that you be in a rage, and I assume that your DM is too.

If you happen to have a light weapon you could make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action this turn, since you have taken the Attack action to grapple. It wouldn't have any damage bonus from Strength or Dexterity though. Nevermind, double-checked and it only works if you use the attack action to make an attack with a light melee weapon.

Civis Mundi
2017-02-14, 10:00 PM
The Grappler's Manual (2.0) posted on enworld will tell you everything you need to know about grappling. It's an inspiring resource that will spawn a million character concepts, and I'd link it if this wasn't my first post.

There's a lot of info there, but that shove to prone check is probably the best trick in the book. Once they're grappled and shoved prone, they'll have to beat your Athletics check to break free.

One other thing to note is that technically, you can have two people grappled and prone at once (if you have two free hands). That means you're not just holding them down with both arms, you have them locked in an armbar or something like that.

There are a couple feats that'll help you out, but Grappler is not one of them. You can grapple perfectly well without feats, but Shield Master and Tavern Brawler will help you specialize.