PDA

View Full Version : What is the most ridiculous creature you've ever faced?

atemu1234
2017-02-14, 06:04 PM
I mean, ridiculous as in over-the-top or funny.

For example, my group went up against a Half-Dragon Monstrous Vampire Flumph.

Malimar
2017-02-14, 06:09 PM
Tiger-lady armed with a chainsaw, riding a rainbow-barfing eight-legged horse, on a spelljammer full of illicit drugs.

atemu1234
2017-02-14, 06:11 PM
Tiger-lady armed with a chainsaw, riding a rainbow-barfing eight-legged horse, on a spelljammer full of illicit drugs.

That is... surprisingly plausible.

Efrate
2017-02-14, 06:27 PM
The Kung Fu not-pandas

Horrid Dire Magebred Warbeast Polar Bears, gargantuan size, with improved umarmed strike, snap kick, snatch, and a bunch of other stuff because they had ok intelligence and insane hit dice.

The attack routine was claw claw claw claw bite punch punch punch punch kick, rend, improved grab, fling, swallow whole, large and in charge, knockdown, and a bunch of other stuff. The party found them fishing for whales like normal bears fish for salmon, and wisely avoided them. I was kind of sad. Pretty sure I would have destoryed several of the team members

I also did a goatfolk were titanic toad that was pretty funny leaping out of a pond and whirlwind attacking the party.

Mr Adventurer
2017-02-14, 06:35 PM
Half-fiend Tarrasque, then Zombie Half-fiend Tarrasque.

Gravetouched Ghoul Kraken (we actually said "screw that" and stayed out of its way).

Mailman Sorcerer Imp.

GilesTheCleric
2017-02-14, 06:50 PM
Homebrewed gorgon with a machine gun in its mouth. It took out the barbarian in a single round (even after my Shield Other), and apparently the only way to defeat it was to tumble past it (it was in a doorway) and unplug it from the wall behind it, the outlet for which which we couldn't see because the gorgon was in the way. Yes, I'm still bitter.

atemu1234
2017-02-14, 07:07 PM
Let's see if I have any others that top the flumph...

A demon lord heftily based off of the demon from the musical episode of Buffy...

A halberd-wielding minotaur carrying a gnome wizard on his head...

A half-dragon riding dog who fought with a knife in his mouth. That one's arguably the best.

Technetium43
2017-02-14, 09:03 PM
Not in a campaign I was in, but in one my stepdad ran, there was a flock of homebrewed Bonnacon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnacon). Nothing else special about them, but considering how ridiculous they are in concept, I figure they deserve a place here.

Thurbane
2017-02-14, 11:38 PM
Not used yet, but for a comedy based campaign:

Advanced Gravehound with Hivenest template (swarm of Wasps re-fluffed as Bees): "Oh yeah, what are you gonna do? Release the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you?"

"Uncle Croc": Khumat with Bard Levels and the Doomspeak feat.

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/mhbk_gallery/76962_CN.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9naJtTMnBgE

Raven777
2017-02-14, 11:57 PM
I mean, ridiculous as in over-the-top or funny.
Funny and ridiculous doesn't mean it cannot stop your entire campaign right there and then (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/red-jester/).

barakaka
2017-02-15, 12:15 AM
A dragonwrought kobold gish focused on Swiftblade. He was possessed by and working in tandem with some sort of very high CR devil jellyfish. The DM ruled that this guy could deal damage during Time Stop and both possessor and host could act each round. The party tank had over 400 hp and was nearly killed in the first time stop. I think my Sorcerer/SandShaper/Binder/AnimaMage was level 14 at the time and most of the party was level 16. No gestalt but high OP and some stuff bordered on TO.

EDIT: Oh, even worse than that, in a nautical campaign I was a part of, we were level 4 and our ship got attacked by 3 of That Damn Crab (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a). I was playing a Druid summoner with Greenbound Summoning and Augment Summoning, and Dire Wolves were still unable to solve the problem entirely.

Zanos
2017-02-15, 12:51 AM
That is... surprisingly plausible.
That's Tuesday in spelljammer.

Funny and ridiculous doesn't mean it cannot stop your entire campaign right there and then (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/red-jester/).
I don't think most people consider zombie clowns funny or ridiculous. That creatures description is pretty disturbing.

ATHATH
2017-02-15, 01:45 AM
Sweet mother of Mystra... Imagine if someone managed to rebuke that... that thing.

Decks of Many Things are NOT to be messed with (as a player OR a DM), guys. Trust me, I've had a 1st edition campaign ruined by one of them.

I don't suppose that you'll tell the story of how the Jester wrecked your campaign?

atemu1234
2017-02-15, 02:00 AM
That's Tuesday in spelljammer.

I don't think most people consider zombie clowns funny or ridiculous. That creatures description is pretty disturbing.

Reminds me of the gray jester from 3.5, Heroes of Horror.

I ran my players through the sample mission they had involving that and a hag and them both eating children. It was... disturbing.

weckar
2017-02-15, 02:46 AM
Sentient Golem who thought they were a human magician (as in- stage magician, no real magic).

I'd probably get an account strike if I told you what the golem was made of.

Krazzman
2017-02-15, 03:31 AM
Shadowcorrupted Exloding Vanarans (Humansized Monkeys). I used them to great effect against my party, was a fun nights >:D

I personally find Vargouilles pretty much ridiculous themselves already... now imagine an Ettin Vargouille... there was some other stuff but I think that was the weirdest.

Incorrect
2017-02-15, 04:07 AM
The Carcharodoom!
Possibly a gigantic shark-hydra-turtle hybrid of pure destructination!

http://xaa.xanga.com/a5b8262a751b8150063621/o111734875.gif

I was fortunate enough to get the stats from the original creator, and sent it against a very surprised group

Thurbane
2017-02-15, 04:30 AM
The Carcharodoom!
Possibly a gigantic shark-hydra-turtle hybrid of pure destructination!

http://xaa.xanga.com/a5b8262a751b8150063621/o111734875.gif

I was fortunate enough to get the stats from the original creator, and sent it against a very surprised group

That is great! Do you still have a stat block? What edition was it from?

Incorrect
2017-02-15, 05:25 AM
That is great! Do you still have a stat block? What edition was it from?

I believe it was 3,5. It may have appeared in a Mongoose book.
The stat block may have been lost with a hotmail account, but I'll see what I can dig up.

LordOfCain
2017-02-15, 07:28 AM
I believe it was 3,5. It may have appeared in a Mongoose book.
The stat block may have been lost with a hotmail account, but I'll see what I can dig up.
I need this sooooo badly....

Swaoeaeieu
2017-02-15, 09:45 AM
Dread Sorcerer King!
Incredibly evil and invincible.
Necrotic Tumor spell + Torture to gain Liquid Pain. Rituals of sacrifice for free wishes and soul as power.

He's Overpowered.

While we do often laugh about the sorcerer king, i dont thinkg it is the kind of funny creature OP is asking for.

Swaoeaeieu
2017-02-15, 10:44 AM
I recently made my players face Santa and his evil army of snowmen.
I havent had much change for even weirder stuff, tho i do have some plans...

Mr Adventurer
2017-02-15, 11:45 AM
Oh, are we doing stuff we've run as GMs too?

Zargon was pretty ridiculous. Turned one party member into chunky salsa with one full attack, then couldn't really threaten the rest of them because they were too far away.

'Mittens' was an advanced Spellwarped tyrannosaur with Mind Blast Relay Illithid grafts, being ridden by a Simulacrum of Elminster. Mittens was great.

manyslayer
2017-02-15, 11:46 AM
Faced: gelatinous spheres in a bowl shaped cavern. Imagine releasing a bunch of marbles in a bowl but they will engulf you in acid as they go zipping by before reaching the top and coming down again. (I used one recently in an Raiders of the Lost Ark style boulder trap but with the gelatinous sphere instead - for an Xcrawl).

Used: For Xcrawl (so ridiculous is more expected occasional) I had a movie-themed dungeon (see my stealing the gelatinous sphere above). One room was called the Baying of the Kobolds. PCs come in and dozens of kobold barbarians start running across the room at them. In slow motion. The PCs take a shot and kill one. It explodes (with no apparent effect on the other kobolds). Once the first kobold made contact, the slow effect became a haste effect. A single point of damage caused a kobold to explode with a 5' radius for 1d6 fire damage. All the kobolds had fire resistance 5 so there was a chance they would take damage. Actually ended up with a chain explosion effect of 3 or so kobolds once.

cobaltstarfire
2017-02-15, 03:52 PM
Yuan-ti

Or to be more specific, Yuan-Ti with really strange combinations of human/snake, like one having snakes for arms, or another that was all snake except for like a human arm or leg sticking out somewhere.

oudeis
2017-02-15, 04:13 PM
Yuan-ti

Or to be more specific, Yuan-Ti with really strange combinations of human/snake, like one having snakes for arms, or another that was all snake except for like a human arm or leg sticking out somewhere.

"Let's put one of those beefy arms back on him for good measure."

http://www.hrwiki.org/w/images/f/f6/sbemail58picture2a.PNG

Arbane
2017-02-15, 05:12 PM
I personally find Vargouilles pretty much ridiculous themselves already... now imagine an Ettin Vargouille... there was some other stuff but I think that was the weirdest.

So... it was TWO heads with bat-wings?

As for ridiculous, look at all the stuff that's standard for D&D. You can decorate an entire room with MURDER: The ceiling, walls, floor, furniture, coat-rack, AND coat are all monsters that want to eat you.

Telwar
2017-02-15, 07:29 PM
...and to think I was proud of my hill giant were dire hippos. Some of the things above make those look tame.

Though those did inspire the 200-year-old hippo shifter adept in my SR4 game.

Cluedrew
2017-02-15, 07:45 PM
Player Characters

Squibsallotl
2017-02-15, 07:59 PM
Calzone golem. It was tasty.

cobaltstarfire
2017-02-15, 09:39 PM
"Let's put one of those beefy arms back on him for good measure."

Trogdor actually did come to mind when I was posting about the weird Yuan-Ti. I doubt it was the GM's intention though, he wasn't of the right demographic to know of Trogdor.

AshfireMage
2017-02-16, 04:23 AM
A couple years ago (almost exactly, as a matter of fact), our session happened to fall on Valentine's day and, being as only two of us were in a relationship (and they with each other), we decided to hold game anyway. With a themed twist.

The party ended fighting angry cupids (congrats, you failed a will save and your character will have a fetish for oiled men for the rest of the campaign or until you can find someone with Remove Curse!) and a zombified St. Valentine.

Perhaps not as weird as some examples, but definitely memorable.

BWR
2017-02-16, 04:54 AM

I have one player who would drop everything he has and seek out these things to get attacked. One of my PCs lets his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren pull from the DoMT when they become adults.
The boring kids get cards like the Sun, Star, Moon, etc. The interesting ones pull the Donjon, the Flames, The Void, etc.
We've had lots of awesome stories as the result of 'bad' DoMT pulls.

Weirdest thing we faced...not counting the not-monstrous polar bears we met (the DM insisted that polar bears grew up to seven meters in length IRL) we met a steampowered dragonmech that moved around by jumping 20 meters in the air at a time.

Incorrect
2017-02-16, 05:05 AM
I need this sooooo badly....

It seems that it is from Monster Encyclopaedia 1 - Ravages of the realm, by Mongoose Publishing.
I dont think I'm allowed to post actual stats.
But I can tell you this:
A form emerges from the shadows…it is massive, the size of an elephant, and is composed of four stubby, whitishgrey legs supporting a mass of giant shark’s heads, merged together into a central body. The heads twist and turn, scenting for prey…and finding it.

Pugwampy
2017-02-16, 05:25 AM
Wierdest thing I ever fought was phasms . I had no idea what the heck I was trying to fight or look at .

Yora
2017-02-16, 06:01 AM
I once fought a beholder. I think I'd remember of there ever was anything stranger.

AceOfFools
2017-02-17, 11:06 PM
Technically, this probably doesn't count because we ended up not fighting the guy...

In a superheroes game we went to investigate this mountain in eastern Europe that had transformed from rock to squishy pink flesh. Turns out, this Russian strongman had accidentally merged with this doodad we were looking for and had gained the power to turn non-living things into living flesh. This things would mostly be what they used to be, but also be alive. And so he animated everything in his house so he wouldn't be so lonely. And then he animated his house. And then the mountain his house was on.

But that's not the crazy part. The crazy part was that, blessed with this somewhat creepy animate objects power, he started selling pet rocks online. Rocks that were literally alive, and that he would teach to sing. That was how he was making his living in exile.

Pet. Rocks.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-18, 12:19 AM
Around the time my 1st edition DM started experimenting with cocaine I believe we faced The Silver Surfer.

We didn't WIN but we damaged him and he left. To be fair we were an Evil party.

Also faced a Magician, and by magician I mean tuxedo and top hat that had doves fly out and used a magic wand that was black with a white tip and turned you into a rabbit.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-18, 12:22 AM
Decks of Many Things are NOT to be messed with (as a player OR a DM), guys. Trust me, I've had a 1st edition campaign ruined by one of them.

Time was you weren't a real gamer until you had your game or character utterly ruined by a Deck of Many Things.

Nowadays we have things like the 8th Amendment.

MrStabby
2017-02-18, 07:26 AM
Dire tapeworm.

That bastard thing "emerged" and silently strangled our party cleric in his sleep.

Jay R
2017-02-18, 09:59 AM
Bubba Ho-tep (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281686/?ref_=nv_sr_1), a redneck mummy who was attacking an east Texas rest home.

[We were Egyptian princes from a Bronze Age dynasty who had accidentally traveled through time. Bubba Ho-Tep was originally our great-uncle.]

Madbox
2017-02-18, 10:58 AM
Never faced it, but my friends and I have discussed the horror that would be a half-dragon tarrasquelich.

Akal Saris
2017-02-18, 11:58 PM
Calzone golem. It was tasty.

I too have run that module!

Velaryon
2017-02-20, 02:19 PM
One time in a 3.5 campaign I was playing, the DM happened to use the words "fiendish deviltry!" in the course of roleplaying. Being a great lover of puns, I immediately got a sheet of scratch paper and applied the fiendish template to a Treant. Sadly, the next session our group wandered into a copse of Fiendish Devil Trees, which nearly ended in a TPK.

In a game I have been running for years, the players stumbled across an entire massive heard of half-red dragon mountain goats. The goatherd (himself a half-dragon) informed them that the entire herd was descended from one legendary and much more dangerous ancestor (a half-red dragon paragon monster of legend mountain goat). They're much higher level now, but the PCs have yet to explore the mountains where that goat is said to graze...

Samzat
2017-02-20, 02:57 PM
I wish I were in a D&D game so I could use the Summon Monster spell to summon a Uranium-235 elemental

Arbane
2017-02-20, 04:42 PM
I wish I were in a D&D game so I could use the Summon Monster spell to summon a Uranium-235 elemental

Any GM that lets you do that deserves everything that happens after that.

halfeye
2017-02-20, 05:09 PM
Any GM that lets you do that deserves everything that happens after that.
Something happens after that?

Arbane
2017-02-20, 05:52 PM
Something happens after that?

An earth-shattering kaboom definitely counts as 'something'.

Scathain
2017-02-20, 06:06 PM
Two very innocuous words, when put together, never fail to strike fear into the players at my table:

Shark-Bear.

halfeye
2017-02-20, 08:42 PM
An earth-shattering kaboom definitely counts as 'something'.
Surely, that's during, not after?

After is when nothing grows within a mile or five for years and everything for dozens or hundreds of miles downwind (depending on wind strength) goes a bit wonky. Ground bursts are much nastier, and this would presumably be a ground burst, and of considerable relative size.

DuctTapeKatar
2017-02-20, 09:23 PM
I made a giant swarm of flesh-eating potatoes, once. They were covered in mouths with teeth and popped out of the ground to eat people.

Then there was this time the Eye of Sauron flew around and then exploded, saving my players.

Heh. First campaign I ever ran. Weird times.

Stealth Marmot
2017-02-21, 08:15 AM
Dire tapeworm.

That bastard thing "emerged" and silently strangled our party cleric in his sleep.

Did the cleric's player owe the DM money or something?

MrStabby
2017-02-22, 11:21 AM
Did the cleric's player owe the DM money or something?

This is what happens when random encounter rolls intersect.

"Dire" was a result of one roll - a roll to determine CR of the encounter and it not being fiendish, celestial or whatever
"Worm" was the type of enemy
night assault/ambush was the encounter type
The DM also had a "distance from camp" roll to determine how far away the threat was before it was seen. The issue was the modifiers etc. (from size, stealth, perception) could result in negative rolls.

We finished the previous session knowing some kind of worm would attack us in the night and wouldn't be spotted until it was -5 ft outside the perimeter of the encampment. Only at the start of the next week would we find out what the threat actually was.

The guy on watch at the time had pretty poor perception and just missed the cleric being attacked - the cleric was unable to scream with the worm round his throat and the guy on watch rolled pretty poorly.

LibraryOgre
2017-02-22, 12:02 PM
Mephistopholes, my character's own demon master.

I held him off while the rest of the party got King Arthur off of Atlantis.

Spellbreaker26
2017-02-22, 12:49 PM
A guy called the "Meatomancer". He was an ogre wizard with power over his own body, and was able to split himself via mitosis (or meatosis) into two clones. Luckily we were able to kill the one that contained his central intelligence and put an end to his butchery.

Gizmogidget
2017-02-23, 05:53 PM
In a recent game of 5e we encountered these homebrew monsters, that appeared to be large bloated giants.

They had 1 HP, but when you attacked them everyone withing 10 feet had to make a DC-14 dexterity save or get infected with this gas. Well we attack it, and 2 of us get affected. The DM sets an IRL timer fo 5 minutes and says that we need a lesser resotration spell, otherwise we will explode too.

oudeis
2017-02-23, 06:01 PM
They sound like wights (http://mythipedia.wikia.com/wiki/Wight)from the Myth series.

They are even better in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NZ6CycAql0

Honest Tiefling
2017-02-23, 06:24 PM
I think the DM was trying for a horror theme when he described wall climbing zombies without skin covered in a strange slick substance and wearing leather.

It was not taken that way by the party, and I don't think he cared for their new nickname.

Knaight
2017-02-23, 09:32 PM
Creature would probably be the node-serpent (this was as a GM). I introduced a floating fish called the node fish earlier, which was completely harmless alone, but had a line of crackling electricity go towards any other node fish nearby which was extremely dangerous, and which got completely ridiculous once in a group. Eventually the PCs were able to get a handle on them, with a strategy involving custom made rubber sheets and bludgeoning weapons. It was around this time the node serpent was introduced, a massive floating snake with a dozen nodes down its length, all connected to each other and any other node nearby. Good times.

Then there's the enemy archmage who had their head turned into that of a dove by the PCs, but that's a different matter entirely, and stretching the implicit definition of "creature" as not being a human or nearly a human. Though if that bit of the definition is broken I have some fun ones.