PDA

View Full Version : Optimization My math is Bad - need help figuring what squares are in my threat range

Nosta
2017-02-14, 07:04 PM
so I am playing a fighter using a Fauchard and have taken combat patrol. My question is what is the range I threat and the radius of this area

I am sorry but my math is not to good and I like to know before I play so I can take advantage of it

Uncle Pine
2017-02-15, 03:06 AM
From your other threads I assume you're playing 3.5e. I'll also assume that you're talking about danddwiki's fauchard (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Fauchard_(3.5e_Equipment)) and PF's Combat Patrol (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/combat-patrol-combat/).

Since reach weapons double your reach and Combat Patrol adds 5 ft. times your BAB to your reach, if you're playing a Medium character with fauchard and Combat Patrol, then your reach (while using Combat Patrol) is: 2 x (5 ft. + 5 ft. x BAB). Or 10 ft. when you're not using Combat Patrol.

Necroticplague
2017-02-15, 06:57 AM
Since reach weapons double your reach and Combat Patrol adds 5 ft. times your BAB to your reach, if you're playing a Medium character with fauchard and Combat Patrol, then your reach (while using Combat Patrol) is: 2 x (5 ft. + 5 ft. x BAB). Or 10 ft. when you're not using Combat Patrol.

1.Combat Patrol doesn't increase your reach, it increases your threatened area.
2. Combat Patrol is 5/5 points Bab, not 5/BaB.

So, while using Combat Patrol, you have Reach 10 (as normal), but threaten 10+5*floor(1/5 BaB). This is why the feat also lets you move when you attack, so you can move into your Reach.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-15, 07:06 AM
1.Combat Patrol doesn't increase your reach, it increases your threatened area.
2. Combat Patrol is 5/5 points Bab, not 5/BaB.

So, while using Combat Patrol, you have Reach 10 (as normal), but threaten 10+5*floor(1/5 BaB). This is why the feat also lets you move when you attack, so you can move into your Reach.
Wow, I suck at reading! :smallbiggrin:

So let me get this straight: Combat Patrol allows you to make AoO against opponents outside your reach (but within your threathened area), but you can't make them if you don't move near your opponent? I don't know if it's normal in PF for reach and threathened area to be separated concepts, but it looks like an odd place to split the hair.

Zombimode
2017-02-15, 07:27 AM

So let me get this straight: Combat Patrol allows you to make AoO against opponents outside your reach (but within your threathened area), but you can't make them if you don't move near your opponent? I don't know if it's normal in PF for reach and threathened area to be separated concepts, but it looks like an odd place to split the hair.

Well, without the moving part, it would let you make attacks against creatures that you actaully can't reach with your weapon...

Necroticplague
2017-02-15, 08:27 AM

Well, let's look at the rules for threatened area:

You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your turn. So it's not based on reach, but on where you can make a melee attack. No reference to reach means treating the two as seperate entities isn't really splitting hairs.

And yes, that's exactly how the feat works . Taking it means your threatened area extends past where you can make melee attacks. Thus, the feat grants you the ability to move as part of the AoO so that you can bring yourself close enough.