PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need one single skill point

bootzin
2017-02-14, 10:45 PM
Hey guys!
I wanted to know if there was any way of getting one single additional skill point (sadly, increasing intelligence is not an option here)
It could be mostly anything, even magical places (:

EDIT----
Two things, actually. First is that I just realized I can't actually use feats for this either (no slot for them :/)
Second, with Nymph's Kiss, if I get the feat at level 5, for instance, do I get 5 skill points or is it an extra skill point/level from the moment you take it and on?

Crake
2017-02-14, 10:48 PM
Hey guys!
I wanted to know if there was any way of getting one single additional skill point (sadly, increasing intelligence is not an option here)
It could be mostly anything, even magical places (:

If you're playing pathfinder, a headband of vast intellect gives you extra skill points in a set skill

bootzin
2017-02-14, 11:04 PM
Sadly, we're not using PF :/

Deophaun
2017-02-14, 11:07 PM
Two things, actually. First is that I just realized I can't actually use feats for this either (no slot for them :/)
Take levels in Rogue?

Second, with Nymph's Kiss, if I get the feat at level 5, for instance, do I get 5 skill points or is it an extra skill point/level from the moment you take it and on?
From the level you take it.

Dagroth
2017-02-14, 11:20 PM
Get a Headband of Intellect +2. Raising Int by +2, giving +1 skill point from now on.

Doctor Despair
2017-02-14, 11:37 PM
What do you need it for? Psychic Reformation might suffice

Zanos
2017-02-14, 11:39 PM
The Favored->Primary Contact feat chain can grant a single skill rank.

If you told us what you need this for we could probably help you more.

bootzin
2017-02-14, 11:39 PM
I'll give you guys a brief description of my build, so that you can understand what I'm trying to make:

I want to make a grappling character (It is actually a boss for my campaign, but I didn't want to be unfair with my players, so I'm trying to create a character with the same restrictions as they had)

Basically, this is the build:

Race: Proto-creature amphibious anthropomorphic giant squid

Classes:
1-3 Racial Hit Die
4 - City brawler Barbarian 1 (LA buyoff is allowed)
5 - Wilderness feat rogue 1
6 - Black Blood Cultist 1
7 - Master of masks 1
8 - Soul Eater 1
9-15 Black blood Cultist 2-8
16 - Hulking Hurler 1
(They'll first meet him next session at level 8 and the final battle will be at level 16, where we intend to finish the campaign)

The problem is: I've tried my best to distribute the skill points to meet the requirements for BBC and Master of masks, but the best I could do still left me with one skill point needed at level 7

Here is what I've done:

My INT currently has a +1 bonus
RHD: According to the book, a giant squid has 2 + INT skills, with 6 times that much on first level, so it would be 18 ranks on first level and 3 on 2nd and 3rd, with only spot, listen and swim as class skills
Knowing that I got the Apprentice(Criminal) feat which granted me Bluff (Required for Master of masks) as a class skill and 2 bonus skill points for that skill

So here is my skill point distribution:

Level
Survival
Bluff
Disguise
Perform(Act)
Knowledge(Nature)
Total

Red is what changed from one level to the other
Cyan is the one point that I missed

I wanted one point for that skill :/

Is there a way to better distribute this? Am I missing somthing? And finally, is there a better choice of feat (Instead of Apprentice) to get this done?

Deophaun
2017-02-14, 11:46 PM
with 6 times that much on first level
I have some bad news for you.

It's 4 times.

bootzin
2017-02-14, 11:47 PM
I have some bad news for you.

It's 4 times.

Savage Species Pg 217, unless there's been an errata

Thurbane
2017-02-14, 11:48 PM
Does it need to be a specific skill?

If you have the cash to burn, the Codex Anathema gives you 5 ranks Knowledge (dungeoneering) and 2 ranks each of Knowledge (arcana) and (the planes), as well as +2 Int/-2 Wis.

Alternatively, if it's for an NPC, take the NPC trait Prodigy (intelligence) from DMG 2. +2 to Int for no CR increase.

Zanos
2017-02-14, 11:50 PM
It's listed that way to represent the creatures RHD. 4 times at first level, then 1 more time for each of the other 2 racial hit dice. 6 times total.

Deophaun
2017-02-14, 11:53 PM
It's saying that a 3HD squid has a total of (2+Int)x6 Skill Points, which is.

1st HD: (2+Int)x4
2nd HD: 2+Int
3rd HD: 2+Int
Then you have however much barbarian gives you (4+Int?)
Then you have what rogue gives you (8+Int)
Then whatever blackblood cultist gives you

bootzin
2017-02-14, 11:56 PM
It's listed that way to represent the creatures RHD. 4 times at first level, then 1 more time for each of the other 2 racial hit dice. 6 times total.

Oh, heck, you're right, aren't you?

Then that becomes more of a problem then I imagined :/

I'm guessing creating a variant of the criminal organization is my best shot then, as I could add both bluff and disguise as class skills, not sure if it would work though, gotta redo my calculations

Hope my players don't kill me for that either, but hey, this isn't that bad of a change, is it? It surely seems better than dark chaos shuffle shenningans e.e

Troacctid
2017-02-15, 12:02 AM
So this is for an NPC? Add the Prodigy special ability from DMG2. That's +2 Intelligence with no change in CR. Problem solved!

Alternately, just add an extra hit die or an NPC class level. You can do that!

bootzin
2017-02-15, 12:25 AM
So this is for an NPC? Add the Prodigy special ability from DMG2. That's +2 Intelligence with no change in CR. Problem solved!

Alternately, just add an extra hit die or an NPC class level. You can do that!

Prodigy really seems tempting, that LA adjustment maskes me wonder wether it will be apropriate though

And I'd rather avoid adding more levels to this character
Btw, nice set of houserules you've got there (:

And with the Variant criminal faction and 6 skill points less than I was using I still have 1 point left to actually reach the amount I need. I'm probably gonna go with prodigy though, as it seems the best option so far (:

Troacctid
2017-02-15, 01:00 AM
Prodigy really seems tempting, that LA adjustment maskes me wonder wether it will be apropriate though

And I'd rather avoid adding more levels to this character
Pssh, it's an NPC, it's allowed to be higher level than the players. Anyway, Prodigy doesn't even increase its level, it's +0 CR.

Btw, nice set of houserules you've got there (:
Thanks. :smallsmile:

Particle_Man
2017-02-15, 02:51 AM
If it is an NPC could you bump up the Int? Perhaps by tanking something else? Are you using the elite array or point buy?

ShurikVch
2017-02-15, 04:07 AM
How about to take a couple of Flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm), and buy Open Minded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#openMinded) with them?
Note: besides those flaws in the SRD, there were some in Dragon magazines. For example, Blind Rage flaw (#325, "Flaws for Barbarians") may fit your character really well

weckar
2017-02-15, 04:15 AM
Get a Headband of Intellect +2. Raising Int by +2, giving +1 skill point from now on.

'Temporary' boosts to INT don't grant skill points.

bootzin
2017-02-15, 11:18 AM
How about to take a couple of Flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm), and buy Open Minded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#openMinded) with them?
Note: besides those flaws in the SRD, there were some in Dragon magazines. For example, Blind Rage flaw (#325, "Flaws for Barbarians") may fit your character really well

Flaws are not really allowed in our campaign unles with very justifiable reasons, same for Dragon Magazines :/
I'll have a look in it though, maybe that's an option as well (:

Source?

Zanos
2017-02-15, 11:22 AM
I don't believe this is actually the case. Fox's Cunning and Intelligence headbands specify that they don't grant extra skill points, but if you level up under the effect of something that doesn't specify that and increases intelligence, you would gain the extra skill ranks.

Pathfinder made the distinction between temporary and non-temporary bonuses.

Mr Adventurer
2017-02-15, 11:22 AM
The 'justifiable reason' could be 'this flaw represents the structural limitations of being an anthropomorphic squid that are not otherwise captured by the rules'.

ShurikVch
2017-02-15, 12:00 PM
One of possible effects from Warp Touch disease (Book of Vile Darkness):
Head swells; +4 deformity bonus to Int.Just write in the backstory how he caught it (say, wound from Warpsword) and ended with swelled head

LordOfCain
2017-02-15, 05:19 PM
One of possible effects from Warp Touch disease (Book of Vile Darkness):Just write in the backstory how he caught it (say, wound from Warpsword) and ended with swelled head

Ooooh. I really need to use this in some of my high Op chars...

Zanos
2017-02-15, 05:49 PM
Ooooh. I really need to use this in some of my high Op chars...
Warp touch is great with the forced dream power and a contingent last breath in case you hit a "dies immediately result."

Mordaedil
2017-02-16, 03:41 AM
I don't believe this is actually the case. Fox's Cunning and Intelligence headbands specify that they don't grant extra skill points, but if you level up under the effect of something that doesn't specify that and increases intelligence, you would gain the extra skill ranks.

Pathfinder made the distinction between temporary and non-temporary bonuses.

The books specify that "leveling up" isn't an instant affair, it's a thing you do during down-time in towns. The only way you can argue that a temporary boost should give you a skillpoint or other permanent boost, is if that duration can last for over a month and you have constant access to it.

Otherwise, it expires before you can actually complete the "level-up".

Coidzor
2017-02-16, 07:59 AM
The books specify that "leveling up" isn't an instant affair, it's a thing you do during down-time in towns. The only way you can argue that a temporary boost should give you a skillpoint or other permanent boost, is if that duration can last for over a month and you have constant access to it.

Otherwise, it expires before you can actually complete the "level-up".

You mean like a +Int item? :smalltongue:

Khedrac
2017-02-16, 09:12 AM
You mean like a +Int item? :smalltongue:
That would depend on the item....

This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained.
I have yet to meet a GM who will allow any item Int enhancement to count other than that from a Tome of Clear Thought.

Zanos
2017-02-16, 10:43 AM
Any +int item that isn't a headband or other item that specifies it won't grant skillpoints will work by RAW, though.

Also persistent/extended spells.

Matrota
2017-02-16, 12:37 PM
In one campaign I'm participating in, there's a house rule where if we attend classes for a certain skill for a week, and make a check for that skill of DC 20 each day of that week, we gain another rank in that skill. The DC increases accordingly.

For example, if I wanted to train in knowledge arcana, I would roll a knowledge arcana check every day of that week. If I made above 20 every day, I'd gain 1 rank, and the DC increases for next time. If I failed the check once, even on the last day, I have to try for another week.