PDA

View Full Version : Plane Shift into a Bag of Holding

sir_argo
2017-02-15, 10:51 AM
It's RAW vs. RAI time.

The inside of a Bag of Holding is considered to be a different plane of existence.

The Plane Shift spell allows you to travel to a different plane of existence.

Ergo, by RAW, the spell should allow you to travel to the inside of a Bag of Holding.

Does this sound like nonsense to you?

On a related note, the spell Demiplane also creates a small, unique plane of existence that is a 30' cube. Would Plane Shift allow you to go straight into a demiplane that you had previously created?

Erys
2017-02-15, 11:08 AM
I suppose if you have a metal rod worth at least 250 gp that is attuned to either particular plane of existence, it might be possible.

I would allow the possibility for a Demiplane. But not a bag of holding. Ever.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-02-15, 11:15 AM
Seems like there's room for DM adjudication. You need to "attune" a material component to the destination plane. Can you do that with the bag plane? Then OK, but you may run into practical complications.

RickAllison
2017-02-15, 11:17 AM
You would have to get an attuned rod, but it should work. The question becomes can you track down someone who can make a custom rod for you?

xroads
2017-02-15, 11:37 AM
From a cinematic point of view, it sounds like it would be an opportunity for some amusing antics. So I'd probably allow it as a GM.

I can't think of any RAW reason not to allow it. But I can see the argument being raised that it is easier to target the plane of air (for ex), as opposed to a bag of holding. Sort of like shooting the side of a barn as opposed to the tin can sitting in front of it.

Dalebert
2017-02-15, 11:51 AM
Is a Bag of Holding definitely another plane of existence? A demiplane definitely is. I'm going to look at the wording for the bag. I've always thought of it as warped space rather than a separate plane. If so, then I'd say you need to have the bag in hand to create the appropriate tuning fork. You also need to be familiar with the demiplane to make the fork. The spell is very clear that you need to know the demiplane to be able to open a door to it and thus also presumably to Plane Shift there. But if you're familiar with that demiplane, then absolutely I can think of no RAW reason why you can't shift there.

EDIT: I say "nope" to the Bag of Holding as being another plane of existence. The description definitely reads more as warped space. I think people maybe assume that because rupturing it opens a hole to the Astral Plane but it's not already the Astral Plane or any other stated plane. That seems more like a side effect of damaging warped space.

"This bag has an interior space considerably larger than its outside dimensions"

sir_argo
2017-02-15, 12:00 PM
Is a Bag of Holding definitely another plane of existence?

The Sage Advice Compendium (http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf) states

Are extradimensional spaces, such as a demiplane or the space created by rope trick, considered to be on a different plane of existence?

An extradimensional space (aka an extraplanar space) is outside other planes. Therefore, if you’re on the Material Plane and your foe is in an extradimensional space, the two of you aren’t considered to be on the same plane of existence.

RickAllison
2017-02-15, 02:13 PM
The Sage Advice Compendium (http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SA-Compendium.pdf) states

Are extradimensional spaces, such as a demiplane or the space created by rope trick, considered to be on a different plane of existence?

An extradimensional space (aka an extraplanar space) is outside other planes. Therefore, if you’re on the Material Plane and your foe is in an extradimensional space, the two of you aren’t considered to be on the same plane of existence.

Interestingly enough, this does mean that Chainlocks would be unable to send their imps out scouting and communicate while in a Rope Trick.