PDA

View Full Version : Question on Wizard School for Cleric 1/Wizard X Multiclass

Corginin
2017-02-15, 11:44 AM
Hello to you all!

So I finally after a couple of years of 5e get to play a Wizard! I was usually the guy who would decide on his class last just to help even out the roles a little and not steal the thunder from anyone. I am looking for a suggestion/opinion on what school I should go with my Cleric/Wizard. I know how they all function on paper, so more looking for what your personal experiences have been with each. I subscribe to the 'you can't have function without fun' mentality.

I am starting out as Knowledge Cleric 1 then going the rest in Wizard, However I am unsure what Wizard school I should go with. Considering Abjuration, Conjuration, or Divination but can't decide between the three. UA is almost certainly not on the table otherwise I might have tried out Lore Master, however we do have SCAG & EE available.

Ability scores (using standard array) with High Elf (flavored as a moon elf) bonuses are as follows in order: 8, 14, 14, 16, 13, 10

Abjuration seems like the Arcane Ward could be very useful and life saving. However the only spells I see being used to recharge it are Absorb Elements, Shield, Counterspell, and Dispel Magic. Two of those won't see a ton of use potentially, though there is the option of using Alarm as a ritual for out of combat. The bonus to Counterspell and Dispel Magic and later spell resistance are nice.

Conjuration seems like it could be fun to play and the combat teleport would definitely be useful. Bonus for not losing concentration on Conjuration spells.

Divination comes with the pretty great ability that is Portent. Expert Divination is good for some spell recovery as well.

Have a most marvelous day!

rooneg
2017-02-15, 11:47 AM
My version of this build uses Abjuration. Divination is also an awesome option. I think both of them are WAY better than Conjuration, both thematically and mechanically.

Sans.
2017-02-15, 11:54 AM
Abjuration is pretty great all round. The Conjuration abilities are pretty good, but only really get going at level 6 and up. Divination is exactly the opposite: one amazing ability at level 2, then some meh abilities. In particular, the level 6 Divination ability, Expert Divination, is less useful than it looks, because there aren't all that many good divination spells, even with the spell slot recovery to soften the blow.

solidork
2017-02-15, 12:18 PM
Don't forget about Banishment for Abjuration.

Breashios
2017-02-15, 01:23 PM
Between combat, Alarm as a ritual is awesome for the abjurer. As a Knowledge Cleric I could see Divination going to compliment your non-combat strength somewhat. I've played the Conjurer. Will depend on your DM and party composition whether you will get good mileage out of that. Summoned allies are rarely effective enough to be worth the time to cast in combat. Combat in 5e going so quick in terms of rounds (generally 2 to 4). If you get opportunities to do so before an expected combat, you still have to avoid taking damage - again, might depend on how much your DM thinks enemies will target you, and on how much the other party members do to take those potential attacks away.

Specter
2017-02-15, 03:35 PM
If you mean in terms of optimization, then definitely Abjurer. If you're not casting Shield, Absorb Elements or Counterspell every round, you're playing wrong.

In terms of flavor, it would depend on your god. Diviner seems fitting for Knowledge. What deity do you serve?

Biggstick
2017-02-15, 03:58 PM
Abjuration is pretty great all round. The Conjuration abilities are pretty good, but only really get going at level 6 and up. Divination is exactly the opposite: one amazing ability at level 2, then some meh abilities. In particular, the level 6 Divination ability, Expert Divination, is less useful than it looks, because there aren't all that many good divination spells, even with the spell slot recovery to soften the blow.

Arcane Eye is a pretty sweet divination spell imo. Being able to recharge a level 3 spell slot (of which there are tons of great spells) after casting Arcane Eye works even better.

Other then that though, I'd say either Abjuration or Divination. A big factor in this choice imo is the deity that you're a Cleric for. If we're utilizing Forgotten Realms deities, I'd think of Mystra, Azuth, and Savras (some are dead, some aren't whatever) as being more open to Divination Wizards. As for Abjuration, I'd fall more along the lines of Oghma, Denier, and Gond. That's just personal opinion though, and they could just as easily be swapped around based on your particular character's backstory.

Corginin
2017-02-16, 11:24 AM
If you mean in terms of optimization, then definitely Abjurer. If you're not casting Shield, Absorb Elements or Counterspell every round, you're playing wrong.

In terms of flavor, it would depend on your god. Diviner seems fitting for Knowledge. What deity do you serve?

Mostly looking for flavor/fun over the optimization. I will be playing as a worshiper of Selūne.

Corginin
2017-02-16, 11:30 AM
Arcane Eye is a pretty sweet divination spell imo. Being able to recharge a level 3 spell slot (of which there are tons of great spells) after casting Arcane Eye works even better.

Other then that though, I'd say either Abjuration or Divination. A big factor in this choice imo is the deity that you're a Cleric for. If we're utilizing Forgotten Realms deities, I'd think of Mystra, Azuth, and Savras (some are dead, some aren't whatever) as being more open to Divination Wizards. As for Abjuration, I'd fall more along the lines of Oghma, Denier, and Gond. That's just personal opinion though, and they could just as easily be swapped around based on your particular character's backstory.

I completely forgot about Arcane Eye!

I will be worshiping Selūne, or the closest thing to her since it is a homebrew setting.

Biggstick
2017-02-16, 11:40 AM
I completely forgot about Arcane Eye!

I will be worshiping Selūne, or the closest thing to her since it is a homebrew setting.

Selūne makes me think Abjuration Wizard. She's about a lot of things, but the thing that stands out to me is protecting others in a motherly fashion. She doesn't really seem like one who's worship would encourage the seeking of the future, nor the conjuring of creatures from another realm. Powerful protective magic though, that is something worth learning to protect those who need your help.