PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Unarmored Cleric Concept

artimus261
2017-02-15, 12:39 PM
So I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask: hey can I play a cleric that doesn't wear armor and actually get something out of it? No I don't wanna be an archivist.

Anyway this is what I propose for those of us who'd like to play a wizened robe wearing holy man who can still kick some butt:

Deity's Protection
The cleric's devotion to her deity and endless worship have earned her favor with her deity. While other clerics trained in the use of armor and shields she only continued her worship. This single mindedness faith has caused her deity to bestow special protection upon her servant.

Loses: All armor proficiencies and heavy shields.

Gains:

The cleric gains proficiency with her deity's favored weapon. If the cleric already possess proficiency with this weapon she gains Weapon Focus for it instead. If the cleric had received this feat for her weapon then she gains Weapon Specialization for it instead.

The cleric now gains a Deflection bonus to her AC and an insight bonus on her Reflex saves equal to her Charisma modifier. Any form of armor hampers this protective field and causes the cleric to lose her deflection bonus to AC and her insight bonus on Reflex saves. The cleric gains a +1 bonus to these values at 8th level. This bonus increases to +2 at 16th.
While the cleric is asleep or helpless the deflection bonus she gains to AC is doubled and cannot be made the target of a coup de grace attempt.

Additionally at 6th level the Cleric gains Uncanny Dodge. She must be unarmored to benefit from this ability.

Finally at 9th level the Cleric gains Improved Uncanny Dodge. She must be unarmored to benefit from this ability.

Deific Intervention (Su): At 13th level the cleric's deity sees fit to aid her servant, shielding her from harm. Once per day the cleric can choose to ignore the effects of a single attack or spell that targets her. She can choose to do this after discovering if the attack would hit or if her saving throw had failed but before the DM rolls the damage or determines the effects of the spell.

Mando Knight
2017-02-15, 12:55 PM
That feels only slightly more effective than a Monk dip (which uses the Cleric's casting stat for the AC bonus), if at all.

Unearthed Arcana's OGL content includes a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) variant, which pulls the cleric back from the front lines (no armor, poor BAB) but gives them 4 more skills per level (and an expanded skill list), a Lore feature that acts like Bardic Knowledge, Knowledge as a bonus domain (even if the patron deity doesn't have that domain), and a marginally improved spell list.

artimus261
2017-02-15, 01:00 PM
I think when you consider that it also gives a class that usually is famous for a lower dex score and gives them a bonus to their Ref in the same stroke I think it works out. Might give them improved uncanny dodge at a later level as well just for the sake of finishing that off and giving into the whole 'divine awareness' concept. And it's a small difference but the monk loses their bonus when immobilized which this cleric would not. Small but it's there. Also able to still carry a shield, albeit a light one, unlike the monk. Also gonna add a 1/day attack/spell veto that they can use after finding out the attack hit or they failed their saving throw. Level 13 I think sounds good for it

artimus261
2017-02-15, 02:31 PM
There added some stuff that should make up for the lack of full plate xD