PDA

View Full Version : New spells: elemental states of matter (APRICOT... I mean PEACH)

NakedCelt
2007-07-22, 11:39 PM
I must admit to having a certain fascination with the classical Four Elements. Yes, I know they're over-used and rather trite. Yes, I know they aren't real chemical elements. But they do correspond rather neatly to the four common states of matter. Earth is solid, water is liquid, air is gaseous, and fire is plasma — and just to complete the resemblance, there's also a rare and little-understood fifth state, though I don't think the classical concept of quintessence is particularly similar to the Bose-Einstein condensate.

Anyway, I've invented some new spells to go along with the Air spell gaseous form. Liquid form and solid form are adapted from powers in the Psionics Handbook; plasma form combines gaseous form with some aspects of fire shield.

Liquid Form
Transmutation
Level: Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3, Water 3 [variant]
Components: S, M/DF

As gaseous form, but the subject and all its gear become a gleaming, rippling mass of liquid. It gains damage reduction 20/magic. As with gaseous form, it cannot run; nor does it gain a fly speed. Instead, it can swim with a +15 bonus on its Swim skill. It can enter water or other liquid with ease, and can pass through narrow openings as if affected by gaseous form. It can push or drag objects, but not lift them or otherwise manipulate them.
Arcane Material Component: A small clamshell full of water.

Plasma Form
Transmutation
Level: Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4, Fire 4 [variant]

As gaseous form, but the subject gives off orange light equal to half the illumination of a normal torch (10 feet). The subject is warm to the touch, and takes only half damage from fire-based attacks (or no damage on a successful save that would normally reduce damage by half).

Solid Form
Transmutation
Level: Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3, Earth 3 [variant]
Components: S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Willing corporeal creature touched
Duration: 2 min/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The subject is anchored solidly and immovably to the ground. It loses all Dexterity bonuses to AC and cannot attack or make any other movement, but gains damage reduction 20/adamantine. It opposes any attempt by other creatures to move it with a Strength check modified by a circumstance bonus equal to three times caster level. Thus, a creature given solid form by a seventh-level caster gains +21 to avoid being moved.
Arcane Material Component: A pinch of sand or dust.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-23, 12:29 AM
What does Bose Einstein Condensate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose%E2%80%93Einstein_condensate) correspond to?

Demented
2007-07-23, 12:46 AM
Ethereal Form!

Well, actually you're looking for Superfluid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfluid), not Bose Einstein Condensates. Which would be... Killer Blob form?

DracoDei
2007-07-23, 12:50 AM
What does Bose Einstein Condensate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose%E2%80%93Einstein_condensate) correspond to?
Here is a quick guess:
Size->Fine (weight unaffected, but with a +100 or more to hide checks) + Gasious Form (mostly just to get rid of ability to manipulate objects) + deal 1 point of cold damage by touch + immunity to all damage except fire and fire doesn't actually deal damage it just has a percent chance equal to the number of points dealt to end the spell.

Superglucose
2007-07-23, 06:10 PM
The only problem I see is the one with plasma. I would say that plasma form isn't really compatable with the ideas of gas form, liquid form, and solid form. In the other three states, matter tends to keep its bonds, but in a plasma state, it is very difficult to distinguish between energy and matter, due to the high energy state the matter is in.

NakedCelt
2007-07-23, 07:57 PM
Well, the mysterious fifth state of matter would correspond to the fifth element, quintessence, which (according to Aristotle) was found only in the heavens. There is a Psionics Handbook power called quintessence, where you create a ball of mysterious shimmery goo that seals things away from the effects of time. I'm not sure what a quintessential form spell would do to you.