PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Advice Need some advice (Also, Hi!)

Freek_The_Gnoll
2017-02-15, 04:22 PM
I've been a lurker on this site for quite some time; and loving every second of it. But something has arisen in my gaming group that has me troubled, and in turn has led me to make an account so I can ask for some much-needed advice.

Ok, so a somewhat brief explanation is in order. I've been playing D&D for years as both a DM and a PC; but a recent game (in which I am a player) is leaving me feeling like I no longer wish to play. In short, we are running the Out of The Abyss campaign; and I am a deligtfully homebrewed Gnoll Alchemist (Ill try and link both race and class if you want.) Our group hit level 3 and I gained an ability that allowed me to mutate; the side effect of which being that I now have split personalities. This is where things get... iffy, with the DM

As this type of alchemist, the only real feature I get are these mutations, but my DM is claiming that he has every right to make me lose control of my character whenever we enter combat and I mutate (I would hand him my character sheet similar to a frenzy Vampire: The Requiem.) He is also saying that he will have control of my other personality, instead of letting me roleplay it out.

And that brings me to the whole reson behind this post; how do I tell my DM to back off and let me have my character? What he is doing is basically owning more than half of my character;as this mutation arcetype for the alchemist is its ONLY real power (meaning I would either never have to use it and be less than worthless in combat, or actually fight and lose my character.) Any help and advice would greatly be appreaciated.

Also...Hi! Glad to finally have an account on the site.

BWR
2017-02-15, 06:04 PM
You know this person better than we do. You know how to bring up the subject better than we do.
If I were in your shoes with any of my GMs (given that they did not make clear before I chose to play the character that they would be taking over large parts of the playing) I would do a slightly more polite version of "this isn't fun for me, please let me have full control of my character. If not, I'm retiring this one and bringing in something I have full control over."
I don't know if this would work with your GM, but I would assume that if it doesn't, your GM isn't worth playing under.

kyoryu
2017-02-15, 06:15 PM
It's not a rules issue, it's a people issue.

Decide if this is worth quitting the game over.

Tell the GM "Hey, I don't like this. Can we consider this instead?"

They'll either agree, try to find a compromise, or say no.

If they compromise, and you don't like the compromise, negotiate more, focusing on why things aren't fun for you while trying to understand what they're going for.

If they just say no, and it's worth leaving the game over, leave the game.