PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Dead Walk, Warlock invocation (PEACH)

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-02-15, 05:59 PM
So, I've been on a huge warlock kick since 3.5 edition and was super stoked to see how the 5e warlock came out. No offense to my binder peeps, but that 4e "warlock" stuff was just not cutting it. I like Binders, I like warlocks, but that hybrid they threw around was just UGH and that's saying something if it was the dirtier turd than 4e as a whole. But I rant and digress.

An invocation that I loved from 3.5 was missing though, without any form of representation. With the new release of the questionably worded Warlock UA, I figure I'd throw in my own 2 cents and present:

The Dead Walk
Prerequisite: 5th Level
You can cast Animate Dead once using a warlock spell slot. You can't do so again until you finish a long rest.
As an action, you may expend a warlock spell slot to cast Animate Dead without material components, this is not affected by this invocations previous limitation. Casting Animate Dead this way can only be used to create undead, not to retain control. The duration of the spell becomes Concentration, up to one minute. At the end of the spells duration any undead animated by this use of the spell revert back to being pile of bones or a corpse.

Potato_Priest
2017-02-15, 11:31 PM
Seems good. I like the second usage, but it seems a bit too mild. I might make that a 1/short rest ability, rather than using a spell slot.

Gr7mm Bobb
2017-02-16, 07:19 AM
hmm, 1/short rest might be a good use. But I think erring on the side of catuion might be safer. This already gives a potent spell use per long rest like other invocations, and the second part is something I see as extra. However, this does require some playtesting. Anyone who gives this a try, please let me know if using a spell slot for the second part is arbitrary or not. I would like to point out that using a warlock slot lets you have the benefits of higher level castings, sooo about 5 undead at max.