PDA

View Full Version : Beefing up a Dread Necromancer

bobbtimus
2017-02-16, 10:40 AM
Hey guys. So I am playing a campaign with in a pirate setting as a Dread Necromancer Catfolk lvl 6 currently. Recently I gained a new powerset from Reaper template(homebrewed). Which gives me some fun new powers like Ghost Riders Penance Stare and using soul energy as a weapon but if I die I get sent straight to Nerull to become a wraithe working for him with no chances of resurrection. Unless I have reaped enough souls to be an "earner" for him, which who knows what enough souls is.
The issue is everytime I get hit by basically anything I am drastically close to death... the rest of my party has HPs of 60+ whereas I am in the low to mid thirties... I'm looking for anything I can get item wise or additional templates that will make me not so squishy.
Remember I can't die in taking on these additional templates.
For additional flavor my character is looking to become Davy Jones as I literally have a meat locker I stick corpses in that I will want to animate later. And/Or at least what people think of immediately when they think death is coming.

Venger
2017-02-16, 02:14 PM
grab an amulet of tears from the magic item compendium and carry around a wand of false life. this will boost your survivability somewhat.

Quertus
2017-02-16, 07:39 PM
grab an amulet of tears from the magic item compendium and carry around a wand of false life. this will boost your survivability somewhat.

Can't the DN cast False Life themselves at some point?

noce
2017-02-16, 09:05 PM
Never go melee.
Cast false life.
Summon undead to melee for you.
Never go melee.
Take tomb-tainted soul and touch yourself.
Never go melee.

CartmanTuttle
2017-02-17, 09:13 AM
Try to stay away from fighting, using your spellcasting to debuff enemies/keep your precious undead alive/maybe deal some damage. Your biggest ally as a DN is your sheer necromantic power. Between fights, Animate Dead. Animate all of the dead. As long as there is death, you have power. As long as someone is dying, you have resources. Your greatest asset as a Dread Necromancer is your willingness to utilize all that have fallen in your grand scheme. Nothing should stop you because you should make yourself unstoppable.

Also, recycling is good for the environment. Dead bodies especially.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-17, 09:34 AM
Amulets of health are a good start... False Life helps a little bit too. Find a Cleric to help make a zombie with Share Pain spellstitched into it.

Vizzerdrix
2017-02-17, 09:43 AM
What is your con score, and current feats?

Venger
2017-02-20, 12:50 AM
Can't the DN cast False Life themselves at some point?

yes, he can, but a wand lets you save your 2s for more important things. make sure you stay tomb-tainted, and as long as you walk away from an encounter, you'll never want for hp

Malroth
2017-02-20, 01:34 PM
If you've got any corpsecrafter feats perform the ritual to turn yourself into a Necropolotian, Then retrain your toumb tainted soul feat into Faerie Mysteries Initiate and spend a off camera night with some elf who wants to qualify for Lichloved.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-20, 02:01 PM
If you've got any corpsecrafter feats perform the ritual to turn yourself into a Necropolotian, Then retrain your toumb tainted soul feat into Faerie Mysteries Initiate and spend a off camera night with some elf who wants to qualify for Lichloved.
Or, uh, maybe do those things in a less creepy order.

Venger
2017-02-20, 07:13 PM

the ritual of crucimigration can't be performed alone. you have to pay a membership fee and get written approval. they use special cursed nails with no mechanical way to make them on your own, so you can't just do it in your yard with unseen servants.

great way of beefing up necropolitan's glass jaw though.

nintendoh
2017-02-20, 09:26 PM
Due to his backstory turning into a necropolitan would immediately make his character unplayable. Read the op for clarificationn

RocksInMyDryer
2017-02-20, 09:37 PM
Once you're level 9, you can take Leadership and get yourself a level 7 Cleric cohort (evil of course) with Divine Metamagic to persist Death ward on you at the start of each day.

Deophaun
2017-02-20, 11:40 PM
Due to his backstory turning into a necropolitan would immediately make his character unplayable. Read the op for clarificationn
It also means Dread Necro 20 is off the table. Also, there's the tiny little issue of Corpsecrafter working only with necromancy spells, not rituals.

If you don't have Tomb Tainted Soul, you can grab shroud of undeath with your level 4 Advanced Learning (retrain) for the same effect.