PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Magic items [P.E.A.C.H]

Sir cryosin
2017-02-16, 11:51 AM
Ink stamp of glyph of warding:
as a action you dip this stamp into magical ink and stamp something. When you stamp something you set a trigger and set a exploding glyph as if you cast the glyph of warding spell. When the glyph gos off roll a d6 - 1 if you roll one it's 1. What you roll is the type of damage it does.
1. acid
2. Cold
3. Fire
4. Lightning
5. Thunder

This next one I'm working on

Cloak of the winter wolf:
As a action you flip up the hood you transform into a winter wolf. When you take the wolf form you gain the winter wolf stat block in the monster manual. You retain your Wis, int and char stats. When you are not in the winter wolf form you have resistance to cold damage.
Curse: everytime you enter the wolf form make a DC 14 wisdom save or gain a level of feral. When you gain 5 feral levels you become a feral winter wolf your unable to switch back. When you are reduce to 0hp you revert to your regular form and you are unconscious. When you wake up you have a strong desire to put the clock back on and flip up the hood.

Helm of the Berserker rage:
As a action you can activate this helm. In doing so you gain the rage feature as in the Barbarian class. You gain rage damage according to your level that corresponds with the level on the rage damage table as if you were the same lv of barbarian.

Pouch of hellfire sling bullets:
Each day the first 12 sling bullets pulled out of this pouch. Has a magical enchantment on them making the magical and deals a d6 fire damage.

Nimlouth
2017-02-16, 03:18 PM
I'm loving the cloak... Tho I have a doubt about it.

What happens when you get reduced to 0hp when you have 5 feral levels? You get outright killed or can you revert to your oiginal form without any feral levels?

Sir cryosin
2017-02-16, 11:00 PM
I'm loving the cloak... Tho I have a doubt about it.

What happens when you get reduced to 0hp when you have 5 feral levels? You get outright killed or can you revert to your oiginal form without any feral levels?

You retain all your feral levels but when you wake up you have the strong urge to activate the cloak again. And you would do anything to do that.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-17, 08:54 AM
There are some good ideas in here - and some less good ones. Here are my takes:

Ink stamp of glyph of warding:
as a action you dip this stamp into magical ink and stamp something. When you stamp something you set a trigger and set a exploding glyph as if you cast the glyph of warding spell. When the glyph gos off roll a d6 - 1 if you roll one it's 1. What you roll is the type of damage it does.
1. acid
2. Cold
3. Fire
4. Lightning
5. Thunder

This one just needs cleaning up.

Stamp of Warding
Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement by a spellcaster)

This stamp has 3 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to stamp an object and cast the 'explosive runes' version of the Glyph of Warding spell from it (save DC 15). The damage type is determined by the ink colour used: green (acid), silver (cold), red (fire), blue (lightning) or black (thunder). The stamp will not accept other ink colours.
The stamp regains 1d3 charges daily at dawn.

This next one I'm working on

Cloak of the winter wolf:
As a action you flip up the hood you transform into a winter wolf. When you take the wolf form you gain the winter wolf stat block in the monster manual. You retain your Wis, int and char stats. When you are not in the winter wolf form you have resistance to cold damage.
Curse: everytime you enter the wolf form make a DC 14 wisdom save or gain a level of feral. When you gain 5 feral levels you become a feral winter wolf your unable to switch back. When you are reduce to 0hp you revert to your regular form and you are unconscious. When you wake up you have a strong desire to put the clock back on and flip up the hood.

I like the idea, but tracking 'feral levels' sounds fiddly.

Cloak of the Winter Wolf
Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement)

While wearing this cloak, you have resistance to cold damage and can speak the Winter Wolf language.
While wearing this cloak in a cold environment, you can use your action to cast Polymorph on yourself, transforming into a winter wolf. While you are in the form of a winter wolf, you retain your Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. The cloak can't be used in this way again until the next dawn.
Curse. This cloak is cursed, and using it to cast Polymorph extends that curse to you. As long as you remain cursed, you are unwilling to doff the cloak, wearing it at all times. If you remain in the form of a winter wolf for the full hour while under the influence of this curse, the transformation becomes permanent and your mental statistics and alignment are changed to those of a natural winter wolf. This transformation cannot be reversed by any means short of a Wish spell.

Helm of the Berserker rage:
As a action you can activate this helm. In doing so you gain the rage feature as in the Barbarian class. You gain rage damage according to your level that corresponds with the level on the rage damage table as if you were the same lv of barbarian.

Giving out main class features wholesale is one of the less good ideas, unless you're making this an artifact. Tentatively, I'd suggest something like...

Helm of the Berserker
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement)

While attuned to this helm, you can use an action on your turn to enter a rage, as per the barbarian's class feature. Your damage bonus during this rage is +1. Once you have activated this item, you must wait 24 hours before you can activate it again.

Pouch of hellfire sling bullets:
Each day the first 12 sling bullets pulled out of this pouch. Has a magical enchantment on them making the magical and deals a d6 fire damage.

Why the first 12/day? That's a bit random. I'd just make them consumable, as...

Hellfire Bullets
Weapon (bullets), uncommon

These magical bullets deal 1d6 fire damage. Once they hit a target, they become nonmagical bullets.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-18, 11:11 AM
There are some good ideas in here - and some less good ones. Here are my takes:

This one just needs cleaning up.

Stamp of Warding
Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement by a spellcaster)

This stamp has 3 charges. While holding it, you can use an action to stamp an object and cast the 'explosive runes' version of the Glyph of Warding spell from it (save DC 15). The damage type is determined by the ink colour used: green (acid), silver (cold), red (fire), blue (lightning) or black (thunder). The stamp will not accept other ink colours.
The stamp regains 1d3 charges daily at dawn.

I like the idea, but tracking 'feral levels' sounds fiddly.

Cloak of the Winter Wolf
Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement)

While wearing this cloak, you have resistance to cold damage and can speak the Winter Wolf language.
While wearing this cloak in a cold environment, you can use your action to cast Polymorph on yourself, transforming into a winter wolf. While you are in the form of a winter wolf, you retain your Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. The cloak can't be used in this way again until the next dawn.
Curse. This cloak is cursed, and using it to cast Polymorph extends that curse to you. As long as you remain cursed, you are unwilling to doff the cloak, wearing it at all times. If you remain in the form of a winter wolf for the full hour while under the influence of this curse, the transformation becomes permanent and your mental statistics and alignment are changed to those of a natural winter wolf. This transformation cannot be reversed by any means short of a Wish spell.

Giving out main class features wholesale is one of the less good ideas, unless you're making this an artifact. Tentatively, I'd suggest something like...

Helm of the Berserker
Wondrous item, legendary (requires attunement)

While attuned to this helm, you can use an action on your turn to enter a rage, as per the barbarian's class feature. Your damage bonus during this rage is +1. Once you have activated this item, you must wait 24 hours before you can activate it again.

Why the first 12/day? That's a bit random. I'd just make them consumable, as...

Hellfire Bullets
Weapon (bullets), uncommon

These magical bullets deal 1d6 fire damage. Once they hit a target, they become nonmagical bullets.

Thanks a lot ninja I'm horrible with wording things.
What would be the implications of adding not just the wish spell but maybe a greater restoration allows you to break the curse.
Thank you for the wording and the way that you did the ink stamp because I really like that idea and I like that spell but I was having a hard time bringing it into a balance magic item.
The Berserkers Helm was just a spitball idea I really wasn't putting too much into it and I don't even know if I was if I really am planning on giving it out or whatever it was just an idea.
The pouch is just Enchanted items with the fire arrow spell as the enchantment

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-18, 02:31 PM
What would be the implications of adding not just the wish spell but maybe a greater restoration allows you to break the curse.

Well I would note that until the transformation becomes permanent, it's just a normal curse. The third-level spell Remove Curse would break it, and anything that ends the Polymorph effect, like being dropped to 0HP or having Dispel Magic cast on you would prevent the transformation becoming permanent (though you would still be cursed and thus unable to take the cloak off). Wish is only necessary if you transform without having Remove Curse or Dispel Magic available, in which case I felt like a tougher punishment was warranted.

I guess you could allow Greater Restoration to work... that's still a 5th-level spell that might be difficult to get hold of in some circumstances.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-19, 10:47 AM
I have already handed it to my party telling them that I'm still working on it my group is a barbarian totem, life clericlv1 wizard 2 going mostly wizard, and Eldritch Knight. So unless the world wizard invest more into cleric they would have to find someone in the world to help with it. That Cloak was part of the first bad guy I had. But thanks again ninja.

P.S. ninja your like the forums fairy godmother (oh sorry if I got your gender wrong all your avatars has been female looking.)

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-20, 08:14 AM
ninja your like the forums fairy godmother

I would ask for permission to sig that, but I think I'm at the character limit... :smallfrown: