PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dual Strike + Multiweapon Fighting

legomaster00156
2017-02-16, 12:30 PM
The Weapon Trick "Dual Strike" has the following text.

Dual Strike

Additional Prerequisite(s): Double Slice, Improved Vital Strike

As a standard action, you can make two attacks, one with each weapon you’re wielding, applying the normal penalties for two-weapon fighting to each.
Now, if one instead is a multi-armed creature with 4+ weapon attacks, there are two ways to read it (apparently). My friend is unwilling to accept that his idea is right, so I instead pose the question to this forum.
Does this feat allow a multiarmed creature to make as many attacks as their arms will allow (his reading, discounting the "two attacks" part), or does it allow one to choose two weapons they are holding and attack once with each (my reading, discounting "one with each weapon you're holding)?

Eldonauran
2017-02-16, 02:51 PM
Discounting the 'two attacks' is the mistake your friend is making. While it is true a multi-armed creature replaces two weapon fighting with the multi-weapon fighting feat, the "Dual Strike" feat is explicit in 'two attacks' and even its name (Dual) implies two.

One has to remember that this is a case of specific trumps general. Generally, characters only have two arms. Multi-attack specifically allows for more arms. However, multi-weapon fighting does not specifically call out dual strike as being modified, only two weapon fighting. Dual strike is a specific modification to two-weapon fighting.

Necroticplague
2017-02-16, 06:08 PM
Mu. The question is wrong, because it rests on false assumptions. Creatures with more than 2 hands can't take the feat, due to its prereqs.

legomaster00156
2017-02-16, 06:12 PM
Does it? I understand that Multiweapon Fighting, as the version used for creatures with 4+ arms, counts as TWF for prerequisites. :smallconfused:

Necroticplague
2017-02-16, 06:14 PM
Does it? I understand that Multiweapon Fighting, as the version used for creatures with 4+ arms, counts as TWF for prerequisites. :smallconfused:

It replaces twf for creatures with 3 or more arms, but it nowhere says it counts as it for purposes of prereqs.

legomaster00156
2017-02-16, 06:16 PM
My bad, I thought that was implicit in the fact that creatures with 4+ arms must take it in place of TWF.