PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate Cure Light Wounds

Jorgo
2017-02-16, 12:31 PM
In Baldur's Gate I have a 1st level halfling fighter/thief as my main character, and he has mysteriously gained the ability to cure light wounds once per day. Why?

Morty
2017-02-16, 12:36 PM
Your character will gain low-level spells, based on their alignment and reputation, over the course of the story. It's connected to the main plotline.

Kish
2017-02-16, 12:37 PM
You're asking for a plot spoiler. DO NOT READ THIS. I'm serious. You should learn it in play.

Because your character is not actually a halfling. Or not a full halfling. His mother was a halfling but his father was a god.

Winter_Wolf
2017-02-16, 04:13 PM
You're asking for a plot spoiler. DO NOT READ THIS. I'm serious. You should learn it in play.

Because your character is not actually a halfling. Or not a full halfling. His mother was a halfling but his father was a god.

But not a sexy shoeless god of war. Eh? Eh?

.....I'll see myself out.

Kantaki
2017-02-16, 04:57 PM
But not a sexy shoeless god of war. Eh? Eh?

.....I'll see myself out.

Well, the names are kinda similar.
And the domain would fit too.
Sounds plausible to me.

Edit: Speaking of Death’s little helper, I just realized that Belkar qualifies to take part in Devil Survivor’s plot.
Has nothing to do with Baldur’s Gate, but it suddenly jumped at me.

Cespenar
2017-02-17, 12:48 AM
Despoilerified spoiler: Your character has a mysterious bloodline. So don't sweat it.

Spore
2017-02-18, 10:00 AM
I have rundown of the abilities without their origin if you wish to know beforehand.

Lawful Good & Neutral Good Cure Light Wounds(2), Slow Poison(2), Draw Upon Holy Might(2)
Chaotic Good Cure Light Wounds(2), Slow Poison(2), Draw Upon Holy Might(1), Vampiric Touch(1)

Lawful Neutral Larloch's Minor Drain(1), Cure Light Wounds(1), Slow Poison(1), Horror(1), Vampiric Touch(1), Draw Upon Holy Might(1)
True Neutral Larloch's Minor Drain(2), Slow Poison(1), Horror(1), Vampiric Touch(1), Draw Upon Holy Might(1)
Chaotic Neutral Slow Poison(1), Larloch's Minor Drain(1), Slow Poison(2), Draw Upon Holy Might(1), Vampiric Touch(1)

Lawful Evil & Chaotic Evil Larloch's Minor Drain(2), Horror(2), Vampiric Touch(2)
Neutral Evil Larloch's Minor Drain(1), Cure Light Wounds(1), Horror(2), Vampiric Touch(1), Draw Upon Holy Might(1)

Kish
2017-02-18, 10:45 AM
...if you cancel your current game right now and make a new protagonist in BG2 instead.

If you keep playing BG1, on the other hand, the abilities you get depend entirely on your reputation when you have the dream, and don't check your alignment at all.

GloatingSwine
2017-02-18, 10:55 AM
Many of the NPCs you meet in Baldur's Gate have some characterful ability as well, not just the protagonist. eg. Dynahier has a very useful Slow Poison ability which reduces your reliance on antidotes and cleric spell slots.

I have rundown of the abilities without their origin if you wish to know beforehand.

Lawful Good & Neutral Good Cure Light Wounds(2), Slow Poison(2), Draw Upon Holy Might(2)
Chaotic Good Cure Light Wounds(2), Slow Poison(2), Draw Upon Holy Might(1), Vampiric Touch(1)

Lawful Neutral Larloch's Minor Drain(1), Cure Light Wounds(1), Slow Poison(1), Horror(1), Vampiric Touch(1), Draw Upon Holy Might(1)
True Neutral Larloch's Minor Drain(2), Slow Poison(1), Horror(1), Vampiric Touch(1), Draw Upon Holy Might(1)
Chaotic Neutral Slow Poison(1), Larloch's Minor Drain(1), Slow Poison(2), Draw Upon Holy Might(1), Vampiric Touch(1)

Lawful Evil & Chaotic Evil Larloch's Minor Drain(2), Horror(2), Vampiric Touch(2)
Neutral Evil Larloch's Minor Drain(1), Cure Light Wounds(1), Horror(2), Vampiric Touch(1), Draw Upon Holy Might(1)

Depends which version of the game you're playing. In EE the abilities are set by alignment, in the original it's your reputation at the time the dream happens.

Spore
2017-02-19, 12:45 PM
Depends which version of the game you're playing. In EE the abilities are set by alignment, in the original it's your reputation at the time the dream happens.

Ah right. Thanks for adding that in and teaching me something. :)