PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Beastmaster ready action

ebbisis
2017-02-16, 03:05 PM
Hi,

Question relates to RAW PHB
Can a ranger Beastmaster command an animal companion to take the ready action? If so can this be done without expending the beastmasters action?
It seems like the rules don't prohibit it specifically.

I did try look for the question, but couldn't find anything , so sorry if has already been asked.

Specter
2017-02-16, 03:53 PM
By RAW I don't think so, as the actions the beast can take. But the real problem is if the beast would understand what you wanted it to do; everything would be a DM call.

ebbisis
2017-02-16, 04:03 PM
That is a good point , I guess it would be easy to argue for a animal companion to bite if something gets near but not so easy argue for it to provide a distraction when the guard opens the door... Still the thought is funny.

djreynolds
2017-02-17, 05:34 AM
You determine its actions... so yes it can take a readied action, or dodge or help or disengage but I for PHB ranger it will still cost you your attack action

Now at 7th level.... that is a question

ebbisis
2017-02-17, 06:17 AM
You determine its actions... so yes it can take a readied action, or dodge or help or disengage but I for PHB ranger it will still cost you your attack action

Now at 7th level.... that is a question

Hi , your response implies that the Beastmaster can command the AC to take the ready action (as RAW states the AC will not take an action unless it is commanded to) , even though it is not listed as a command in the PHB for a Beastmaster.
Does this also mean the BM can command the AC to hide, use object , cast spell (situational to nth degree) or search ?

djreynolds
2017-02-18, 04:25 AM
Hi , your response implies that the Beastmaster can command the AC to take the ready action (as RAW states the AC will not take an action unless it is commanded to) , even though it is not listed as a command in the PHB for a Beastmaster.
Does this also mean the BM can command the AC to hide, use object , cast spell (situational to nth degree) or search ?

Try the rules guys, as a DM I would allow a readied action